Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Freedoom > Map for freedm

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:42. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
XCOPY

Hello,

I modified a little map of mine to make it fit for duels, it probably works for FFA, it wasn't playtested yet.

There are some textures misalignments here and there, but I need feedback before finishing this retouch (textures only, don't expect changes in it's structure unless i get feedbacks criticizing it).

Textures choices are good? which ones are bad?

Is this map suitable for both FFA and duels? Any suggestion to enhance it's gameplay (be it structures or item placements)?

Update: items added, this should be playable now.

Update 2: this map is now number 20 (map20) VPO errors and exit door fixed. The map is not looking so good now, imo. The whole copy & paste is minimal now.

One thing to note is the music doesn't play in chocolate-doom. If you know any music repository where the files are compatible with freedm's license, let me know.

Update 3: I just revised the whole map again, it's now fully vanilla compatible and ready, just need some playtesting. In this version, sectors lights were changed, added minor decorations and it is looking way better than the last version. Thanks Catoptromancy for the pillars suggestion, changed them to a triangular shape and they now use only 1 sector and 9 linedefs. The map shape remains nearly intact now. Hopefully the map is matching the sky now.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjxiplenp.../fdmmap20rc.wad

Feedback always welcome.

Last edited by XCOPY on 01-11-14 at 00:01

Old Post 01-09-14 07:56 #
XCOPY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Catoptromancy
Forum Regular

Very nice!

Remember FreeDM is vanilla so it should be tested in chocolate-doom at least. It needs everything tagged with singleplayer. There are 4 player 1 starts. The exit door is also broken, needs vanilla style tagging.

Old Post 01-09-14 23:09 #
Catoptromancy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
XCOPY

Bummer, the map was looking so good as it was. I'm getting plenty of VPOs and the room with crates seems to be at fault.

Just to clarify, how do I prevent them? Is it by reducing the number of sectors in view or linedefs?

Update:
* This map is now number 20 (map20).
* VPO errors and exit door fixed. The map is not looking so good now, imo. The whole copy & paste is minimal now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxw307ssfnbdwpz/fdmmap20.wad

Feedback always welcome.

Last edited by XCOPY on 01-10-14 at 05:14

Old Post 01-10-14 03:22 #
XCOPY is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Catoptromancy
Forum Regular

Those pillars use a bunch of linedefs, they could be 4 without affecting gameplay. That glowing blue part on top could vastly be simplified to a single linedef.

I can vanilla up the original when I have time.

Last edited by Catoptromancy on 01-10-14 at 06:08

Old Post 01-10-14 06:00 #
Catoptromancy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
XCOPY

This is the latest version before removing details, the VPO happens generally when you are at the highest point of the map, looking at those pillars (teleport). Not sure if this version has the exit door fixed though, if it is, just fix the tags (it's 5 i think).

http://static.best-ever.org/wads/fdmmap20.wad

altdeath 2.0 seems to be amazingly viable on duels, in this version.

Old Post 01-10-14 06:31 #
Catoptromancy
Forum Regular

Ill fix up that version then and have it submitted.

Old Post 01-10-14 06:38 #
XCOPY

Done, it's properly polished and fully vanilla compatible. Needs playtesting though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjxiplenp.../fdmmap20rc.wad

Old Post 01-10-14 23:53 #
Catoptromancy
Forum Regular

Nice. I went for the walls and spare vertexes. Was trying to keep those pillars as original as possible. In my version will need to simplify the pillars a bit more. I wanted smooth walls for wall running, but kept the nice design at corners.

Check out this version. Still got some HOM and a little VPO.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/t8u7fy

Last edited by Catoptromancy on 01-11-14 at 01:04

Old Post 01-11-14 00:38 #
XCOPY

The two stairs are the main issue in that room, you may try reducing the number of steps in front of the door that leads to the soulsphere and merging the sector with the LITE5 texture with the one right behind it, I couldn't find any other way to stop the VPO other than making the other than eliminating the crates sectors, leaving just the linedefs (impassable). About the pillars, I found them too complex to keep, too many vertexes were placed on the purpose of texture alignment.

Gameplay wise, your version is better because of the smooth walls for wallrunning, it's a nice extra. You can attempt to remove some of those crates if you think that part is too cramped. Most of the "polygonal curves" I added there were for defensive purposes, if you think they fail to reach that goal (one example would be during the use of SSG, you blow your enemy, then take cover, the other would be to hide from bfg), you can smooth them to spare some vertices/linedefs.

Old Post 01-11-14 02:05 #
Joe667

Catoptromancy said:
Remember FreeDM is vanilla...

Hey, I just made a map to fill one of the unused 30-32 slots. I thought these could also be in Boom format? It doesn't really matter though, as I haven't used any Boom-specific functions.

Yet.

Old Post 01-15-14 18:28 #
Joe667 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
XCOPY

Test it with chocolate-doom, I thought mine's would have no problem until I realized I used too many linedefs and sectors to be vanilla compatible.

Visplane Overflow was a total headache to take care of, since the map I was working on, was mostly intended for limit-removing source-ports.

Old Post 01-15-14 19:23 #
Joe667

Yeah, my current map has seen a few odd errors (sidedefs that are definitely textured show up as HOMs, etc.).

Old Post 01-16-14 15:50 #
Joe667 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote