Weird impy thing
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Freedoom > How many versions of FREEDOOM are there?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Fellowzdoomer
You mean, I have to actually think before I post?!

Titles self explanatory. Different versions of free doom with different maps exist! WTH? Why are there different versions?

Old Post 01-24-14 12:54 #
Fellowzdoomer is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Because it is an ongoing project and it's not deemed finished yet?

Old Post 01-24-14 12:56 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jayextee
Darth Jrrr

I think there are least two. Maybe even three.

Old Post 01-24-14 13:22 #
Jayextee is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

There are like 1000 versions all with the same filename. хd

Old Post 01-24-14 13:24 #
Memfis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Foxpup

There are only three versions: Freedoom is a Doom 2 replacement, Ultimate Freedoom is an Ultimate Doom replacement, and FreeDM has deathmatch maps. That's all. Pretty self-explanatory, really.

Old Post 01-24-14 13:28 #
Foxpup is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fellowzdoomer

Foxpup said:
There are only three versions: Freedoom is a Doom 2 replacement, Ultimate Freedoom is an Ultimate Doom replacement, and FreeDM has deathmatch maps. That's all. Pretty self-explanatory, really.

Freedoom has more than one version though. I dont mean FreeDM (with freedooms same demos) or UFD (which until now I never heard of.)

Old Post 01-24-14 20:05 #
Fellowzdoomer is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chungy

Well, it has had 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.6.1, 0.6.2, 0.6.3, 0.6.4, 0.7-rc1, 0.7, 0.8-beta1, and 0.8. :P

As for which IWADs are built, Foxpup's summary isn't inaccurate for 0.8 but the current development is rather: Phase 1 is the Ultimate Doom replacement, Phase 2 is the Doom 2 replacement, and FreeDM is deathmatch.

Old Post 01-24-14 23:50 #
chungy is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

Fellowzdoomer said:
Why are there different versions?
It depends what you mean.

Freedoom has multiple versions because it is an ongoing project that regularly accepts submissions of new content (improved levels, new graphics, sounds, etc). Unlike other Doom projects it's probably never really going to be "finished" because there will always be things we can improve upon. So every now and then we release a new version that is an improvement on the previous version.

However, I think what I think you're really asking is why there are three Freedoom IWADs. The answer is that they have different purposes.
  • Freedoom: Phase 1 (freedoom1.wad) is a complete IWAD file that is compatible with the original Doom 1. So if you have mods for Doom 1 you can play them with this. Here's a video of Doom The Way Id Did running using Freedoom, for example.

• Freedoom: Phase 2 (freedoom2.wad) is a complete IWAD file that's compatible with Doom 2. So you can play all your Doom 2 mods with it.

• FreeDM (freedm.wad) is another Doom 2-compatible IWAD file that contains deathmatch levels. It's intended to be a complete free deathmatch game. It's also Vanilla-compatible, so you can use it with source ports like Chocolate Doom that don't support Boom extensions.

The original goal of the project was to create just one IWAD file (what is now freedoom2.wad). But the goals of the project have expanded since then. One of the main goals behind Freedoom is that you should be able to play all the classic mods from the idgames archive without using the proprietary IWADs, and we need both IWADs to be able to do that. FreeDM is just a nice spin-off project with a slightly different focus.

Hope this helps!

Old Post 01-25-14 01:24 #
fraggle is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fellowzdoomer

I meant why do they have same name different levels thatkk work.

Old Post 01-25-14 02:27 #
chungy

You're going to have to be clearer than that...

Freedoom is just an ongoing effort and there will always be new versions coming out every so often.

Old Post 01-25-14 02:41 #
chungy is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fellowzdoomer

I mean

Ex. A map begins outside a base, another version begins in a facility, etc.

Old Post 01-25-14 02:45 #
fraggle

I don't understand what you're asking.

Old Post 01-25-14 04:26 #
fraggle is online now Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fellowzdoomer

My point is that I don't understand. Why there are more versions of free doom than the current map I'm making (trust me that's saying something)

Old Post 01-26-14 14:41 #
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

If you didn't get the previous explanations, I'm afraid that this will have to be forever an unsolved mystery for you.

Old Post 01-26-14 14:50 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fellowzdoomer

Nah. I read them.
Just curious though.

Old Post 01-26-14 14:52 #
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

I think he's asking how many releases there have been since the project has started.

Old Post 01-26-14 18:10 #
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fellowzdoomer

That too

Old Post 01-26-14 18:12 #
fraggle

Still baffled.

Old Post 01-26-14 18:51 #
Fellowzdoomer

fraggle said:
Still baffled.

Probably my wording.

My main language is English, OK?

Old Post 01-26-14 19:05 #
fraggle

Okay...?

Old Post 01-26-14 22:17 #
Fellowzdoomer

Whatever.I get it now.

Old Post 01-26-14 22:20 #