Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

A whole bunch of sound assets

I wasn't making these for Freedoom specifically but someone told me the project was in dire need of sounds so I might as well give them away. These are all brand new, legit sounds made to be as close to the originals as I can.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66640537/freedoomsounds.zip

You can listen to some comparisons here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66640537/doomcomp.mp3

I only used a few elements from freesound.org (for the player noises) and have disclosed the needed credits and CC license for those.

I quite like these, however:

1. I'm pretty sure you'll need to contact the authors of the sourced sounds under the CC to relicense it under Freedoom's license.

2. They're a bit on the quiet side, you may wish to amplify them some to fit with the rest of Freedoom's sounds.

First of all, thanks for contributing these, however:

GeckoYamori said:

made to be as close to the originals as I can.

This is not the goal of Freedoom; we are not attempting to merely copy and reproduce the original sounds.

I only used a few elements from freesound.org (for the player noises) and have disclosed the needed credits and CC license for those.

Unfortunately Freedoom isn't under the CC license so we might not be able to use these. We should still check them over though just in case. Thanks for crediting where you got them from as this will make things easier.

Please check out the Freedoom README which has some important things to read about copyright; unfortunately we often can't just reuse sound effects found on "free sound" websites because they often turn out to not be free, or at least (as seen in this case) not under a license that's compatible with the project's.

Like I said, they weren't made specifically for Freedoom and its aesthetic goals, but you're free to cherrypick anything you like. Thanks for the legal clarifications in the readme. Apart from the freesound assets in the player sounds, there are elements in a few sounds (like the doors) which use sounds I'm pretty sure I only have a non-commercial license for so that clashes with the commercial CD distribution stuff. Though they could be salvaged by just replacing those elements with stuff that complies with the Freedoom license.

Most sounds are already about as loud as they can be from a dB standpoint. They are also compressed a fair bit so that they don't linger too much near the 8-bit noise floor. The only way to make them sound louder is by tweaking the frequency distribution and giving the mid-to-high frequencies more space, or via hardclipping which I'd rather not do.

Do you think you could please:

1. Lengthen the door and lift sounds?
2. Make fast door variations of the door sounds?
3. Give the pistol sound a sharper "punch" to it? Right now it's kinda subdued.

fraggle said:

This is not the goal of Freedoom; we are not attempting to merely copy and reproduce the original sounds.

I've listened to them and they actually sound very different than the official Doom ones.

i really like the door sounds, i think its worth it to try and contact the guys of the sounds used to see if they can give permission