Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angry Saint

Acquainted with Grief (now with download link)

I really would like to contribute to Freedoom with some levels.

This is a level I'm working on, called "Acquainted with Grief". It is an hellish/alien level which I think is suitable for Episode 3 of Phase 1.

You can download it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ubz5td1nhd4r54b/awg4.wad

It is in slot E3M1. It was tested with Boom and Prboom.

Here following some screenshots:

What do you think? Can it be suitable for Freedoom?

The map looks awsome, looks very well created and the monsters mounts for me is cool, very hard has i like.

Protox said:

The map looks awsome, looks very well created and the monsters mounts for me is cool, very hard has i like.

Thank you. It was originally an hellish Doom 2 level, but when I discovered about Freedoom, I decided to collaborate and donate it to this project.

I have updated the first post with a download link. Let me know your opinion.

Angry Saint said:

It was originally an hellish Doom 2 level

You can still upload it by itself to /idgames if you want.

There is a random killing floor. If there is a damage sector, it should look obvious.

Normally I do not like mixing so many themes, but the techbase and hell blend might actually work here. Mainly because it is the first map in the episode and previous episode should be tech base. I think this might be better at E2M1 for the theme transitions to make sense.

Catoptromancy said:

You can still upload it by itself to /idgames if you want.

There is a random killing floor. If there is a damage sector, it should look obvious.

Normally I do not like mixing so many themes, but the techbase and hell blend might actually work here. Mainly because it is the first map in the episode and previous episode should be tech base. I think this might be better at E2M1 for the theme transitions to make sense.

Where is the killing sector? I tested the level many times, I was sure there was none (except for the standard lava/blood/poison ones).

I like to blend hell and techbase. If done well, it gives nice results. My references were (more or less) Alien Vendetta level 21 and Prometheus Experiment level 2.

I wonder if this level can be of interest of Freedoom. Episode 3 of Phase 1 has some hellish levels, and my map may fit the theme of the episode. On the other side I've understood that the hellish design will be abandoned in favor of "alien" one... even if I suppose aliens may look hellish.

In this last case, I would like to know the "Aesthetics" of these aliens for eventually create some suitable map.

Ok, sector corrected & first post updated with link to new file.

Is there some kind of submission process for Freedoom material? Or I can just leave the link here around for the developers to upload?

Really enjoyed this. Good fights, good fun, big but not illogically confusing, good looking. Too big to be in the E3M1 slot though. :)

A couple of minor points:

This place:

If you run in there when using a port that does not have the "actors are infinitely tall" compatibility option set, you can run over the top of the decoration because the step in front makes you high enough to step up to the decoration. Then, if you drop down the other side behind the decoration (easy to without meaning to do when running), you can only get out by jumping or no-clipping past the decoration because you are now on the same floor as the decoration and so you cannot step up on to it.

Oh yeah, and look at the ceiling.

Nearby the above, is this wall meant to look solid from one side?
Open side:

Apparently closed side:

If it's intentional it's fine but I have to say it confused me (couldn't find my way out) until I checked the automap.

And finally, my final tally for my first run through on medium. Not great.

Big map - no secrets?

Also, I just noticed the bottom (total game time) numbers falling off the screen. This was in ZDoom. Is it a ZDoom issue or are the character graphics too tall in FreeDoom?

9 of 10 to this map.

The map itself is good, but i aways got some points of i dont like too and i like to feed back it to us.
1st: there's no secret in the map?
2nd: Is possible to monters come from a opened area intead of nowhere (teleports), a good example is shareware doom e1m7.
3th: every place of i think it was a damaging floor is harmless like slime.
4th: looks like to be a bug it, i cannot find any way to get 100% of the monsters, you have any idea?
5th: i take a while to found blue door you can make something blight where the door or signs of blue skull are?

my gameplay - skill 4

good points now:
good variation of monters and ammo is very balanced and not much chllenging, the details are perfect and i love tech mixed whit hell, good work in this map :D

off topic: about the total time it happen to me too. (Zandronum)

Thank you all for your feedback!!

Enjay said:

This place

@Enjay: I will correct that section. And yes, it was intentional to have one side textured, and the intention was to confuse the player. So it worked :-)

Protox said:

1st: there's no secret in the map?
2nd: Is possible to monters come from a opened area intead of nowhere (teleports), a good example is shareware doom e1m7.
3th: every place of i think it was a damaging floor is harmless like slime.
4th: looks like to be a bug it, i cannot find any way to get 100% of the monsters, you have any idea?
5th: i take a while to found blue door you can make something blight where the door or signs of blue skull are?

1 – I have to add secrets, that's right
2 – I prefer to teleport monsters, because teleports are more flexible about where the monsters appear. I just have to move the "teleport thing" and change the tag of a sector. Monsters coming from other areas (which opens when you collect the keys) have to be blended with the level design so it is less flexible. And in addition I used the same teleport spots for two traps related to two keys, so I would need too much space for hiding all the monsters.
3 – you're right, I'll correct this one.
4 – I have no idea why. Will have to check
5 – Ok!

BTW, I have to add also multiplayer starts and deathmatch ones.

dude if you want of i play whit deathmatch gameply i'm good to make a coop map into deathmatch (when you're playing dm)

You can see it in the current e1m2, e2m1 and on my posted new version to replace e1m2, both maps change a little his layout on dm using speacial line actions, take a look, and also if you have supports to add bots you can see these maps in dm action.

So, I just gave this a try. The map is nice, indeed, but has way too many Cacodemons and Barons for a E3M1 slot. I'd rather say it'd fit better into one of the E3M5, M7 or M9 slots which are still vacant.

I think I've found a bug, though. I was trapped in the blue key area and had no chance to get out of there, because sector 522 raised to the ceiling and blocked my way.

Please make sure to properly tag your linedefs and sectors. It seems that you heavily rely on the "untagged linedefs apply locally" feature of Boom-derived ports. However, this feature is switchable and I have it set to "no".

fabian said:

So, I just gave this a try. The map is nice, indeed, but has way too many Cacodemons and Barons for a E3M1 slot. I'd rather say it'd fit better into one of the E3M5, M7 or M9 slots which are still vacant.

I think I've found a bug, though. I was trapped in the blue key area and had no chance to get out of there, because sector 522 raised to the ceiling and blocked my way.

Please make sure to properly tag your linedefs and sectors. It seems that you heavily rely on the "untagged linedefs apply locally" feature of Boom-derived ports. However, this feature is switchable and I have it set to "no".

How is it possible sector 522 raised to the ceiling? It has no tag, and I'm quite sure there is no linedef action to raise a sector in the map...

For the slot, I agree it fits better M5, M7 or M9.

@Protox: I have updated the link with a new version of the map, which takes into account some observations. You can do the modifications you wish to this new version.

Angry Saint said:

How is it possible sector 522 raised to the ceiling? It has no tag, and I'm quite sure there is no linedef action to raise a sector in the map...

I don't know *how* it is possible, but please believe me that this sector rose and blocked my way. Please do not rely on fragile "bug fix" features for your maps, especially if you cannot be sure that they are always enabled in all ports.

fabian said:

I don't know *how* it is possible, but please believe me that this sector rose and blocked my way. Please do not rely on fragile "bug fix" features for your maps, especially if you cannot be sure that they are always enabled in all ports.

Dude at least put some screenshots to we know where us the poblem it helps a lot.

Catoptromancy said:

Record demos while playing. = )

Demos is variable thing for example prboom demo dont work in zdoom, and zdoom demos dont work in odamex, screenshots still be more good for my opinion.

This was with prboom-plus, latest SVN snapshot.

I'll try to reproduce the issue, but I am on vacation for about one week from now on, so this will have to wait.

Catoptromancy said:

While map is still fresh, make sure there are DM and Coop player starts and items. Skill levels are also needed.

I have added DM & coop player. I'm not a dm player, so I hope someone else can check this.

I have also implemented skill levels.

The first post has been updated with link to the last version.

Just did a playthrough. I think it fits a secret map better mainly for the texture choices. DM starts and items seem ok as well, just did a bot test.

Catoptromancy said:

Just did a playthrough. I think it fits a secret map better mainly for the texture choices.

do you mean it has a texture choice too strange for Freedoom?

It is a mix of every theme. It is a hell/techbase/brick map. That type of texturing is rarely used in good maps...but this is a good map. I think it would be perfect for a secret map where things are good when they are a little strange.

Catoptromancy said:

It is a mix of every theme. It is a hell/techbase/brick map. That type of texturing is rarely used in good maps...but this is a good map. I think it would be perfect for a secret map where things are good when they are a little strange.

That's ok. The map is here, for Freedoom.

Now I will start working on some Blasphemer map.

I have found the bug I described earlier and was able to record in in a demo:

http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/awg3.lmp

The demo was recorded with PrBoom+ and the latest awg(3).wad version of the PWAD as linked in the top posting. However, I have to clarify my description of the bug: It is not sector 522 that is raised to ceiling, but rather sector 523. This seems to be triggered by me happily activating linedefs in the alcove with the ghoul mask. Please watch the demo and tell me what you think.

Edit: Hah, I was right! I have recorded a second demo and this time it shows the behavior as originally reported, i.e. sector 522 raises and blocks the way. This happens by triggering linedefs 3241, 3242 and/or 3244 in the alcove with the "ghoul face". The critical property to enable/disable this behavior in PrBoom+ is "Linedefs w/o Tags apply locally".

http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/awg3-1.lmp

fabian said:

I have found the bug I described earlier and was able to record in in a demo:

http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/awg3.lmp

The demo was recorded with PrBoom+ and the latest awg(3).wad version of the PWAD as linked in the top posting. However, I have to clarify my description of the bug: It is not sector 522 that is raised to ceiling, but rather sector 523. This seems to be triggered by me happily activating linedefs in the alcove with the ghoul mask. Please watch the demo and tell me what you think.

Edit: Hah, I was right! I have recorded a second demo and this time it shows the behavior as originally reported, i.e. sector 522 raises and blocks the way. This happens by triggering linedefs 3241, 3242 and/or 3244 in the alcove with the "ghoul face". The critical property to enable/disable this behavior in PrBoom+ is "Linedefs w/o Tags apply locally".

http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/awg3-1.lmp

I changed the linedefs actions and now this bug should not be present anymore. In the first post you can find the link to the update version.

Let me know if the problem is still happening.

Thank you Fabian!