Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMightyHeracross

Why is this still called Freedoom?

Not that I have much room to talk considering ive never contributed anything, I'd say I'm on board with a name change. I already own doom so when I read free doom, I don't see much reason to get it. I think a name change could really "sell" it better.

Maybe it could be some cool one word name with ":free doom" as a subtitle, as its intended purpose is to run doom wads.

I don't think there's any real benefit to changing the name when the current one is straightforward, immediately understandable, and easily googleable even when a person isn't quite sure what they are looking for.

Well, we could do something like what Zandronum did: have a poll for the 3 most popular possible names, and then combine them into one name.

Bonus points if it is unique enough to be the top listing in most search engines when people are looking for it. Freedoom used to get changed to "freedom", which was not helpful.

As a possible name, I suggest "Ghatanothoa".

if there was a name change than i think it would have to be something that is easy to type, zandronum is a good example, it is unique, but it doesnt have weird spelling like a lovecraftian name has

raymoohawk said:

if there was a name change than i think it would have to be something that is easy to type, zandronum is a good example, it is unique, but it doesnt have weird spelling like a lovecraftian name has

Maybe something more like "Libertastraf"?

So unique that even Google kinda barfs on it.

Or maybe just "FreeWad: Free Dūm for Personal Computers"? By making it sound pompous it may very well attract more people.

I don't see changing the name as being anything else but a useless source of bikeshedding.

Gez said:

I don't see changing the name as being anything else but a useless source of bikeshedding.

While I understand the meaning of the word "bikeshedding", isn't it a little weird to use a term that refers to something that almost nobody has: bike sheds?**

I mean, it's almost like talking about having a shed just for your microwave.

And on that note, since we're using goofy, nonsensical words, why do you have an objection to possibly changing the name of FreeDoom? Honestly, I'm not entirely sure this qualifies as "bikeshedding" since Freedoom 0.9 almost qualifies as a fully functional replacement for Ultimate Doom and Doom II iwads, when used in conjunction with additional pwads and mods, although as a standalone iwad, it obviously needs a little bit more work.

** I mean, sure, I suppose it is possible that some folks have them, but why not store your bike in your garage, house, apartment, or backyard? Do you not ever clean the thing?

FreeDumb Phase 1

E1: Knee-deep in Shitposts
E2: The Shores of Post Hell
E3: Infernal Thread
E4: Thy Posts Deleted

FreeDumb Phase 2: I can't think of a good subtitle so all I can say is [insert a good subtitle here (if you feel like it)]

-----

On another, admittedly unrelated note, I hate this texture:

and would like to see it replaced with this one:

Sodaholic said:

freedumb hurr hurr

I like candy hurr hurr

How can I ostracize more supporters of freedoom?

frithiof said:

While I understand the meaning of the word "bikeshedding", isn't it a little weird to use a term that refers to something that almost nobody has: bike sheds? **
<snip>
** I mean, sure, I suppose it is possible that some folks have them, but why not store your bike in your garage, house, apartment, or backyard? Do you not ever clean the thing?

People don't have bikesheds at home, no. But a workplace, school, sports center, whatever can have a bikeshed for the people who come here by bike. Something like this:

So the administration for the office complex/school/whatever gathers, and the very important question is raised: what color should be used for the bikeshed's paint job?

That's what bikeshedding is. Arguing about a rather inconsequential detail.

frithiof said:

How can I alienate more supporters of freedoom?

FTFY

Maybe by suggesting that sprites are too old-fashioned and should be replaced by MD3 models.

What Linguica said.

Linguica said:

I don't think there's any real benefit to changing the name when the current one is straightforward, immediately understandable, and easily googleable even when a person isn't quite sure what they are looking for.

The name has certainly been a sore point for a long time, but changing it has usually come up with the idea that we'll be wasting time debating multiple ones without a consensus being made.

It's probably a reasonable thing to think about after a solid story and direction is really in place.

frithiof said:

While I understand the meaning of the word "bikeshedding", isn't it a little weird to use a term that refers to something that almost nobody has: bike sheds?**

I mean, it's almost like talking about having a shed just for your microwave.

are you really bikeshedding over the term "bikeshedding"?

GreyGhost said:

FTFY

Maybe by suggesting that sprites are too old-fashioned and should be replaced by MD3 models.

You have a perverted mind, replace them with wavefront objects.

I don't see any reason to change. At it's core, it's still Doom(same gameplay, same mechanics, same enemy behavior, same powerup types). "Freedoom" sounds badass and is already recognized amongst doomers, even those that don't care about this project.

frithiof said:

Well, we could do something like what Zandronum did (...)

Oh jesus, no. I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this, but "zandronum" is a terrible name. Skulltag sounded waaaay better, but I digress...

Why is this still based on the Doom engine?

Think about it: there's this new big movement to make the project less "Doom ripoff", and to give it its own feel. Doesn't using Doom ports go against that idea?

I suggest at least moving to Fallout New Vegas.

unrecompensedoom, unpaidoom :P

okay all joking aside, i think i have a story element for freedoom. you see how the bird mask guy im doing as a baron replacemnt has a lizard head in its arm cannon? remember the proposal that upon killing the birdmask guy the reptile would pop out from the canon, well maybe thats why freedoom guy is a fredom fighter, his fighting to free the captured little lizard people from agm experimenting with them. in freedoom 2 the keens could be replaced with little lizard people as well. they would be hooked up to machines you have to stop, and when you shoot them, you dont kill them they just break free from the machine and stand in place (kinda like cato suggested with his beastie idea). than freedoom title makes sense amirite? :P

I see where raymoohawk is coming from....

Call the little lizard people the "Oom".

Then it's a game about the Freed-Oom!!

:)

andrewj said:

I see where raymoohawk is coming from....

Call the little lizard people the "Oom".

Then it's a game about the Freed-Oom!!

:)

"Freed-Oom". Is that in Narnia?

On a serious note, I vote against using freeiwad as a name. Otherwise people would think that it could run pwads of type doom, heretic, hexen, chex quest 3, hacx, strife, etc...

I quite like the idea of replacing Cmdr. Keen with one of those of those dwarf lizards actually. Maybe we could also have one of the Wolfenstein textures be of a Bird-man inside of a pod, without his lizard cannon, in a hibernating state, with tubes and shit connected to his body. So it's like an assembly line of the bird-men, and the lizards are being prepared to become their arm cannons.

i someone decides to sell freedoom than they should call that version feedoom :P

i may try to make a texture like you described hmguy

fraggle said:

are you really bikeshedding over the term "bikeshedding"?

Hah! That's exactly what I was going to post.