Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jon

e1m1

I thought I'd post some shots of e1m1, even though its not anywhere near finished, some of the rooms that vaguely resemble the originals are in place.

http://bylands.dur.ac.uk/~jmtd/e1m1/e1m1_1.png - The first room in the original, now expanded to be a helicopter landing pad and opens out to the outside world.

http://bylands.dur.ac.uk/~jmtd/e1m1/e1m1_2.png - the view from a control tower which resembles the room you get the armour in, in the original.

http://bylands.dur.ac.uk/~jmtd/e1m1/e1m1_3.png - the slime room with the haphazard walkway has been replaced with a slime room with a broken walkway :)

---

edit: yeah so the screenshots I posted of this map when it was e1m5 show an area that isn't in the original but now leads through to the first room in the original e1m1. Well, something vaguely similar. I've spent quite a lot of time on this suprisingly, since I have a lot of stuff to finish before I finish the year at uni..

I've used some textures that are in freedoom.wad but do not replace textures that existed in doom1.wad. I'll try and look at this problem when I've finished most of the work, but since there aren't any PWADs for doom1.wad I don't suppose it matters if the textures/pnames lumps aren't comparable.

noone seems to care :( *sniff* would be nice to have some feedback.

I care :)
I think the shots look awesome. Adds a sense of realism to the first level of the first episode of Doom.

Of course it's awesome but I think that the room in the first screenshot is a bit "squarish".

And yeah, you're right there is far too little traffic on the Freedoom forum.

I don't think you should use the startan3 texture like that... the new texture is so ugly. :P

I've tried to use all the star* textures where possible inc. startan3. If the texture is poor it shouldn't be avoided, it should be replaced :) I'll upload a preliminary version of the level soon.

I think it's better to use startan3 as a transition between the gray and tan star* textures.

Yeah, I like using the ones that are two blended colors as transitional textures. It works pretty well, and there's some excellent use of it in P:AR.

Anyway, E1M1 looks cool, can't wait for the upload =)

:) its virtually finished. I was delayed a bit last weekend by moving back home from uni for the summer, but have started back up.

Ok, its up there. It's probably not in the freedoom main wads until fraggle reworks the make scripts a little bit, but you can find it in the deutex tree - deutex/levels/e1m1.wad.

Not finished - NOT FINISHED!!!11 lots of texture problems: alignments, architectural mistakes, problems with SW1 not changing to SW2 because SW1 was from doom2 and not in the doom1 animation lump, etc. but all the rooms are there and you can complete it, coop or dm with it. Monsters are placed and skills supported but very few items at this stage. In fact it would make a fairly dull deathmatch with only three weapons.

Feedback please- if anyone wants to maintain a buglist on these forums I can work through it machine-like (inc. texture alignments).

e1m8 soon :)

(oh yeah and I've used some textures/flats not in doom.wad so you need to use freedoom.wad with it for everything to work)

It's a pretty nice map. When I first saw the screenshots, I was afrait that you'd make it too similar to the original e1m1, but I was wrong.
IMO it's underdetailed, but I guess that's the part of "not finished yet".

A problem I have encountered: At the very beginning, where the ceiling comes down. When a monster is in those sectors it will not work correctly. In ZDoom it causes HOM, I'm not sure why, but it's pretty ugly :) Simple solution: make the lines of the coming down sectors block enemies.

Yeah.. originally I wanted it to crush the monster that was placed under the rocks at the time. That portion of the level (interestingly enough) was the beginning of the LDF demo map (legacy definition file) when SOM was writing a DDF clone. I had the ceiling drop and crush something, then you wondered to another area. Anyway, the closest behaviour I could get was to have that floor raising trick. Aye, I'll fix that.

(in the LDF demo I also had arachnotron particles 'caught' in teleport traps and teleported in circuits to form energy barriers.. its a shame LDF was canned :/)

Yeah the rooms which need the most detail are the two hanger things. I've got a few plans..

Thx for your feedback :)

looks nice, but maybe a bit dark overall? i dunno.

btw, all levels should be sp/coop/dm compatible right?

oblivion said:

looks nice, but maybe a bit dark overall? i dunno.

Thx for feedback.. I've only been playtesting it in legacy, and software legacy at that recently, and the screen flickers quite a lot (dodgy video drivers) so I haven't had much opportunity to look at lighting.

btw, all levels should be sp/coop/dm compatible right?

Yup

For level testing I would recommend you use either ZDoom or PRBoom in software mode. They seem to be the best non-GL BOOM-compatible Windows ports for map testing, as I've come to realize. For ZDoom, I would recommend the 1.22 stable version (obvious reasons).

I'll use prboom or smmu (smmu can iron out some texture problems). GL Legacy is blindingly fast in linux, I'd rather not touch zdoom at all if possible.

Yep, if you're a Legacy fan, you're not allowed to use ZDoom.

I think there's even a couple of subliminal messages in Legacy telling people to hate ZDoom, but I could be wrong.

BTW, VERY nice level. Keep up the good work :)

WildWeasel said:

For level testing I would recommend you use either ZDoom or PRBoom in software mode. They seem to be the best non-GL BOOM-compatible Windows ports for map testing, as I've come to realize. For ZDoom, I would recommend the 1.22 stable version (obvious reasons).

i use a slightly fucked over boom 2.02 (hacked to make right mouse button move backward, because thats my favorite controller config)

i dont use prboom because it doesn not allow controller configs like that, and i do not have any windoze C compiling enviornments so i cant rewrite the code.

i dont use zdoom because it renders non power of two tall textures with tutti frutti, thus being un-boom-compatible in that respect.

Oblivion: Firstly, have you tried MBF, SMMU or Eternity? All of these are newer than Boom (with MBF being the oldest and Eternity the newest) but they should all be 100% compatible.

Anyway, what version of ZDoom are you using? I'm pretty sure the problem you mentioned (something which irritated me too) has been fixed now, although I could be wrong.

Regardless, despite what WildWeasel says, the latest beta is as stable as v1.22 was. In fact, it might even be more stable. It certainly runs one heck of a lot faster :)

Remember folks: just because it's a beta doesn't mean it's unstable. And just because it's not a beta doesn't mean it IS stable.

i'm probably going to switch over to mbf. i have not tried smmu or eternity.

there's nothing wrong with using boom tho, i wasnt complaining or anything.

Heh, well, personally I can't stand 320x200 :)

There's actually not much point in using MBF any more, as SMMU has everything MBF has (except beta emulation), plus various other features. The "dynamic loading of WAD files once the game has begun" feature is especially useful :)

I don't use zdoom because my experience with it is clunky and slow, and I don't like the particles at all :) No subliminals there.

thanks for the feedback though :) I'm writing up a list of bugs to fix.

Jon said:

and I don't like the particles at all :)

It's always funny when people complain about features they don't like, which are easily disabled. That's not only for ZDoom but also other ports.

NiGHTMARE said:

There's actually not much point in using MBF any more, as SMMU has everything MBF has

Except stability apparently (according to kat) :)

Well, I can't actually play any of them (Boom, MBF, SMMU, Eternity) as I get either no sound at all, or a load of static. I'm still waiting for the Windows version of Eternity just so I can play around with MBF's friendly monster code ;)

boris said:

It's always funny when people complain about features they don't like, which are easily disabled. That's not only for ZDoom but also other ports.

Actually thats my problem- you can't disable them fully, at least in the last version I used (which is of course what I have the problem with). It did disable the use of particles in ACS etc. but not on rocket trails.

Isn't there an SDL version of SMMU floating around?

Jon said:

Actually thats my problem- you can't disable them fully, at least in the last version I used (which is of course what I have the problem with). It did disable the use of particles in ACS etc. but not on rocket trails.

Options -> Display Options -> Rocket Trails -> off

boris said:

Options -> Display Options -> Rocket Trails -> off

That has appeared since the last time I played zdoom, afaik.