Cyberdemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Freedoom > New way of handling text strings

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:43. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jon
Freedoom Bloke

Guys,

I was about to sit down and write a program to create a graphic representing a text string given a set of input alphabet PNGs/GIFs, but I realised that there aren't actually large individual letter graphics in the resources, just full strings like MAP01 and 'NEW GAME'.

If whoever has done the alphabet could provide a set of indvidual letters, it would take about 10 minutes for me to write a script to create *any* text string using them. It would be a great help if all the letters were the same dimension too, but its not essential.

This would mean if one guy wants to call MAP14 'macdonalds drive thru' and then later on someone else makes a new MAP14 and wants it called 'Burger King Baby Changing room' we can make the resources in a snap.

any ideas?

(like a lot of stuff we've made in the development of freedoom, this would of course be of great use to other project, not just freedoom :)

Old Post 06-27-02 18:18 #
Jon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
oblivion
Loser

also make it easier when the next day you realise that its not Macdonalds, its McDonalds :D

Old Post 06-27-02 19:35 #
oblivion is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

The Doom fonts does not distinguish between upper- and lower-case, does it? ;)

Old Post 06-27-02 22:50 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

All Doom font is uppercase.

Old Post 06-27-02 23:08 #
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
andrewj

It was me made the current font. If you like, I could send you all the png files (or upload them to incoming). There's uncolored (RAW) versions at 12, 15 and 30 pixels high, and a whole bunch of colored versions at 12 and 15 pixels high.

BTW, the program you mention sounds good

Old Post 06-30-02 06:36 #
andrewj is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jon
Freedoom Bloke

Thats great- mail them to jon @ frad.org as PNGs, and I'll get cracking :)

(coloured ones preferrably)

Old Post 06-30-02 11:01 #
Jon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

can somebody put up a link to the doom font so I can use it name my upcoming levels and make a title header for the menu of icd-boom?

Old Post 07-02-02 22:36 #
BlackFish is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
boris
meow

Older versions of ZDoom (like 1.17c) had each character of the Doom font in zdoom.wad.

Old Post 07-03-02 00:29 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jon
Freedoom Bloke

Don't use the doom font to name your upcoming freedoom levels, as the doom font is copywrited :) if you wait a few days I'll have the generator up and running. Right now its almost done - I generated a sample font (haven't cut up ajapted's existing one yet) and wrote the code to create the png, I'm just fiddling with handling all the seperate image files easily and vertical alignments when the letter heights vary.

Old Post 07-04-02 19:11 #
cph

Tarin said:
The Doom fonts does not distinguish between upper- and lower-case, does it? ;)

The "fonts" used in some of the main menus do - well they use a font where all individual letters are in caps but the capital letters are shown larger (I guess this is what is meant by a small caps font?).

E.g. m_loadg is "LOAD GAME" (all caps) whereas m_lgttl is "Load Game" in small caps.

Of course there's no reason for us to do the same.

Old Post 07-05-02 13:44 #
cph is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

DooMBoy said:
All Doom font is uppercase.
If you look at the letters in the menu, the "lower case" ones are smaller than the "upper case" ones.

Old Post 07-05-02 16:20 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jon
Freedoom Bloke

Presently it will support any character that has been created. I've got a big pic of all of Ajapted's letters but I can't cut it up right now (I don't have a paint program handy, and I don't know enough about the GIMP to use that) if anyone else would like to do that, I'd do it for you. There's different scales so I could provide for lower-case letters too.

Old Post 07-05-02 16:40 #
mmnpsrsoskl
Spasmolytic

Yeah send me the font picture, me needs something to do.

Old Post 07-06-02 00:42 #
mmnpsrsoskl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
andrewj

The font images are now in FreeDOOM's FTP incoming dir (ajapted_font_art.zip), for anyone else who wants to hack on them.

Jon: if all you need is the coordinates of each letter, I could do that with the GIMP and send you the list.

Old Post 07-07-02 12:23 #
andrewj is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jon
Freedoom Bloke

Preferrably I'd like the letters in individual files called A.png, B.png etc. hopefully mmnpsrsoskl is doing that now. :)

Old Post 07-07-02 18:32 #
mmnpsrsoskl
Spasmolytic

Yeah, so you need them with a blue/aqua/whatever that bluish colour is background?

I cut up the size 12 and 15 ones, and the letter Q is a bit bigger cause of the tip thingo...

Anyhow, i'll just god fix 'em up and i'll send them to ya and put 'em on my webpage...

Old Post 07-08-02 13:11 #
mmnpsrsoskl is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
mmnpsrsoskl
Spasmolytic

Did you need anything else done to them or was their something wrong with 'em? If so, feel free to yell at me and tell me your problem :)

Old Post 07-09-02 10:03 #
Jon
Freedoom Bloke

They're fine thanks :) if someone wants to play with it, you can here:

http://alcopop.org/dev/font/text.pl...moo&string=blah

replace 'blah' with a string of your choice. Currently, changing font makes no difference. Also if you type a character that doesn't exist, it will just throw an 'Internal Server Error' and not a descriptive failure. Spaces are plus signs, so 'you+frad' translates to 'you frad'.

If you want to know what characters are available, take a look in http://alcopop.org/dev/font/12/

Should be finished soon.

Old Post 07-11-02 10:13 #
boris
meow

Very nice! :)

Old Post 07-11-02 11:50 #