Mancubus
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Freedoom > Re. Map Names

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Trasher][
The game is not well!

Will the maps just be named after their lump names (Map01, etc.) like they are now, or will they be given names later? I'd be happy to piece together the titles, and maybe come up with a few really bad puns for names (Eg. "Damned If Ya Don't" for Map30)

Old Post 09-09-02 13:00 #
Trasher][ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fredrik

Does it really matter...

Old Post 09-09-02 13:22 #
Fredrik is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

I think the levels should follow the general theme of the original levels, but that we shouldnt use the original level names.

There is some argument about this; some people think that we should use the original level names and that freedoom should be a "drop in" replacement for the doom iwad. The automap names will be messed up if we change the level names. I dont go with this though - Carmack has said we shouldnt copy the original doom and we arent. I dont think the automap displayed names are that important and if really neccesary we can fix them with a simple non-essential dehacked patch.

Perhaps we could do "similar" kind of names for the levels, for example, "Landing point" instead of "Hangar", etc. Doom II is already inconsistent with "'O' of destruction"/"Circle of Death".

The other alternative is just to chicken out and keep the existing "MAPxy" level entering graphics :)

Old Post 09-09-02 16:25 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

I think if the author's got a good name, then great. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

I mean, I try to make mine as much like the original title as possible, like "computer station" and "refueling base," they actually sort of look like what the name is.

Old Post 09-09-02 23:07 #
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Torn
google is your master

If there will be new level names. I can do the wilv* and cwilv* pictures. :)

Old Post 09-10-02 13:15 #
Torn is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

TorntheDark said:
If there will be new level names. I can do the wilv* and cwilv* pictures. :)
I think Jon was working on writing a script that would generate them automatically from a list of names.

Old Post 09-10-02 16:01 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jon
Freedoom Bloke

I think Jon was working on writing a script that would generate them automatically from a list of names.

Yes its done, it just needs tidying up. It was on hiatus when despayre went down. I'll see about getting it up and running on sf this weekend.

edit: and fix/update the existing CGI's; and a few other misc things.

Old Post 09-11-02 10:06 #
Jon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Submerge
Dumboy traded my soul for pogs

My level's Name: Sinkhole Base

Oh, a suggestion, to save one characters for making the level names:

A: Don't use that MAP01: crud at all, just use the level name

B: Use Fd01: Or 01:

Or does some thing allow for infinite characters? When I use DeHackEd, it has a Character Limit.

Old Post 09-11-02 20:50 #
Submerge is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote