Cyberdemon
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Special Interest > Freedoom > Commander Keen replacement

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:34. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Woolie Wool
Forum Regular

Who thought of using Mewse's avatar as the replacement for the noosed Commander Keen and what is the joke that inspired the sprite artist use Mewse's fish avatar?

Old Post 09-12-02 20:39 #
Woolie Wool is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
læmænt
BAND

SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH

Old Post 09-12-02 22:15 #
læmænt is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Jon
Freedoom Bloke

The sprite replacement was made to be a fish like mewse's because the original keen was a tongue-in-cheek tip of the hat to id software's older game, commander keen. In the same way, the fish is a tip of the hat to some of the people who have worked on freedoom, and in a larger sense the doomworld forum, which sort of adopted the fish idea.

And mewse has a fish because it was like a sort of form of identity amongst a group of friends which spiralled out of control a bit.

Old Post 09-12-02 22:30 #
Jon is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

I made the sprite. Sorry about the crappy animation :)

Old Post 09-13-02 01:10 #
fraggle is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

mmmh.. we want dopefish (oh wait, no; copyright infringment iforgot)

Old Post 09-13-02 01:28 #
rf` is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Woolie Wool
Forum Regular

We could replace that Caco thing that looks like a squid and howls like a coyote with Hissy. :P

Old Post 09-13-02 04:07 #
Woolie Wool is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Captain Red
Pants

SO LONG AND-

lament already said:
SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH

oh. :(

Old Post 09-13-02 10:32 #
Captain Red is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Trasher][
The game is not well!

I'm working on Keen replacement sounds right... now.

EDIT: Done, the new sounds are excerts from the Post Hell music (I forget the name, but I hope and pray no-one holds the copyright)

Last edited by Trasher][ on 09-21-02 at 15:09

Old Post 09-21-02 14:59 #
Trasher][ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Hissy would make a better "keen." It's more well-known and goes in line with the original idea of a cute thing in the middle of the game. It's true that Hissy already appears in skulltag, but so what. Also it's an indirect reference to DOOM.

Last edited by myk on 09-21-02 at 15:27

Old Post 09-21-02 15:19 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
boris
meow

I'm pretty sure that it is copyrighted.

Old Post 09-21-02 15:20 #
boris is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote
Trasher][
The game is not well!

I thought it's like public domain. Ah, well. I'll do some strange squeals tomorrow.

Old Post 09-22-02 14:24 #
Trasher][ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit || Quote