Doom Comic
Register | User Profile | Member List | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | New Blog | Search Forums | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Misc. > Doomworld News > id and Zenimax, Sitting in a Tree
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:09. Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Trasher][
The game is not well!

Zenimax Media (the parent/shell company of Elder Scrolls/Fallout developers Bethesda Softworks) have, in a move surprising to everybody ever, aquired id Software. This means that while Rage and Wolfenstein will still be published by EA and Activision respectively, Bethesda will publish Doom 4.

Pretty wild, huh?

Old Post 06-24-09 17:01 #
Trasher][ is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

Anyone else thinks this doesn't make any sense at all?

Old Post 06-24-09 17:16 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Well, the id Software site confirms it.

I don't know about it making sense or not, I just think it's lame :p

I guess it had been going in the direction that would lead to this for a while, though, in becoming a more standard "game studio" rather than a team of independent developers.

I don't care that much what may be of newer releases, as long as it doesn't affect DOOM's GPL status in any adverse way...

It also makes me feel that what Romero said about the recession not hitting the gaming industry is off the mark.

I'm wondering whether Carmack will now spend more time on rockets than games, now that the company is a subsidiary (not that I know whether Zenimax bought all or just a huge share).

Old Post 06-24-09 20:25 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kristus
Megablast!

I'm pretty sure thta even if they wanted to, they couldn't rob Doom source ports of their GPL status. Otherwise they would probably have forced it on ports that wouldn't go for it when they relicensed the source to GPL in the first place.

Old Post 06-24-09 20:52 #
kristus is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
myk
volveré y seré millones

Probably, although id never confirmed on their site that Doom is under the GPL, and they don't host a version of the source under the GPL on their server. But yeah, since Carmack himself is openly using the license for iDoom, things should be okay.

In any case, it leaves Carmack with a load of money, that can further his rocket developments.

Old Post 06-24-09 21:21 #
myk is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lord_Z

At first I thought "No, this can't be true!" but I think they should do just fine. I don't think this will will have any major impact on any future games but I guess that remains to be seen.

Old Post 06-25-09 00:15 #
Lord_Z is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
SnowblindFatal
Green Marine

Someone needs to photoshop Patrick Stewart's face on doomguy or some Rage character. Quick.

Old Post 06-25-09 00:31 #
SnowblindFatal is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ArmouredBlood

Huh, developers of some of my favorite games under the same company. I wonder how this will affect doom 4 and TES 5.

Old Post 06-25-09 01:06 #
ArmouredBlood is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Super Jamie
Forum Staple

Personally I think Doom 3 already ruined the future of the Doom franchise, no good can come of putting the Fallout 3 team in with Doom 4. But I don't really care for new games anyway.

Pretty sure Carmack already has enough money, with his garage full of worked exotics and adventures into rocket science, but if this gives him more then power to him :)

Old Post 06-25-09 01:10 #
Super Jamie is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

He really is an amateur rocket scientist? That's awesome. Is "become brain surgeon" the next thing on his to-do list?

I would like to see him get Doom running on that hardware.

Old Post 06-25-09 01:17 #
Creaphis is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Super Jamie
Forum Staple

He sure is! Here's his rocketeering company: http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/

And if you Google carmack rocket you'll find lots of news stories about him.

Old Post 06-25-09 01:30 #
Super Jamie is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Someone on the bethsoft forums linked to this: http://twitter.com/theromero/

Heh.

Old Post 06-25-09 01:37 #
Gez is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Down with Gamebryo, go Id Tech 5!

Old Post 06-25-09 01:40 #
Zaldron is offline Profile || Blog || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
exp(x)

MEH

Old Post 06-25-09 02:00 #
exp(x) is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chungy

myk said:
I don't care that much what may be of newer releases, as long as it doesn't affect DOOM's GPL status in any adverse way...

Impossible; the GPL is designed to be irrevocable. When it's out in the public, it's out forever, and nobody can take away the status of being free.

Old Post 06-25-09 02:27 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xtife

I am at an absolute loss for words... nothing can say how disgusted and disappointed I am. This confirms what I said in that last thread, ID is past their prime, and they will surely die very soon because of this.

Zenimax is a very very shitty company and ID's future games will suffer greatly because of it. It's a very sad thing, and I have completely lost respect for John for doing this.

Old Post 06-25-09 02:43 #
Xtife is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Scet

Xtife said:
ID is past their prime, and they will surely die very soon because of this.

id (not ID or iD, you clowns) has been past their prime for quite a while. I really can't think of any id game released this decade that I've liked.

I doubt they'll "die soon" though. Carmack is (probably) still raking it in thanks to his engines.

Old Post 06-25-09 03:08 #
Scet is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jello

Well, I enjoy the Elder Scrolls games, and I enjoy id games. However the last id game I really loved was Quake, so I can't say I'm that destroyed by the merger. Maybe it'll actually help id to start making great games again, or help zenimax/bethesda create games that both look good, and aren't bug ridden. I doubt they're going to be that intertwined though, aside from profit sharing, and it means id doesn't have to spend time whoring their games out to publishers. I doubt anything will change, and if it does it will probably be for the better. Still, I hope zenimax realizes id's next game will have a hard fought road ahead of it to overcome Doom 3.

Old Post 06-25-09 03:17 #
Jello is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xtife

Jello said:
or help zenimax/bethesda create games that both look good, and aren't bug ridden.

My concern is that because Bethesda makes very bug ridden games, this will happen to id's games too now. Their games were always perfect on release (with very few minor patches after) But Beth? No major bugs were fixed in any patches they released and they pretty much leave their games to rot after that with no further support. They are very far from being goods matches for each other.

id is pretty much dead to me from this point forward, they sold out.

Old Post 06-25-09 03:56 #
Xtife is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
EANB

Doom 4 will probably be better for it. Like Carmack said, it gives them better resources to do what they want. Zenimax probably won't have any more influence than EA or Activision has on their current games. Otherwise he wouldn't have agreed with it. No one would have.

Old Post 06-25-09 04:02 #
EANB is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Fiend

id's games sell. If they were to change them, they would make them Halo clones with vehicle races as a part of the game.

Oh, wait.

But Bethesda published those old Terminator: Future Shock and Skynet games, iirc. Those were the buggiest damn games I've ever played.

Either way, Carmack isn't the greatest influence on modern games. He'll still fight to make it so there's no "use" key.

Old Post 06-25-09 04:31 #
Fiend is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
andrewj

myk said:

Classic DOOM is fine, it is the DOOM3 source I'm worried about, which was going to be released sometime soon. The open source world would be quite diminished without Carmack's gifts.

Old Post 06-25-09 04:40 #
andrewj is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Archvile78

Wow, just wow.

Old Post 06-25-09 05:30 #
Archvile78 is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snarboo

andrewj said:
Classic DOOM is fine, it is the DOOM3 source I'm worried about, which was going to be released sometime soon. The open source world would be quite diminished without Carmack's gifts.
This was one of my concerns, too. What is the current ownership status of id's engines at this point? Do id still own them, or does Zenimax?

Old Post 06-25-09 07:04 #
Snarboo is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chungy

Considering how much Carmack would despise having to keep the engines non-free forever, Doom 3 source will probably still come out when he's ready to release it.

All speculation, I'll grant that.

Old Post 06-25-09 07:11 #
chungy is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Maybe Doom 4 will be much better after this fusion... Just sayin'.

Old Post 06-25-09 08:37 #
printz is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
skadoomer

I think a lot of people are missing the point of what this deal means: Id software now has a worldwide publisher for its 360 titles as a child company and they have financial backing for all future products. Furthermore, they can just re-allocate in house talent from project to project, meaning they bring on people who know what their doing and don't have to be brought up to speed on the ways of id. Its said that this will change nothing else in the way id does it's activities.

That being said, the id we knew of died after quake III (or maybe it was dead before then). They have shifted their primary focus in-house off of the pc and on to consoles, put out maybe 2.5 new (debatable) games since 2001 and boasted their pride on how exclusive their tech has been across the industry (as opposed to unreal). I guess this is just another inevitable step that the magic that surrounded them has passed and that they are just another game company to many of us now.

Old Post 06-25-09 08:47 #
skadoomer is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
khartael
Mini-Member

I fully share Mr. Romero's feelings about this:
http://twitter.com/theromero

Old Post 06-25-09 10:59 #
khartael is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
999cop
Constrained Owing to Lot

I'm a little confused here. Is that really an acquisition or a partnership if ZeniMax is only there to support financially and publish games for id? Typically, in most cases, an acquisition involves name changing and I hope the name "id" stays

If the company lives up to the words stated in the article, I think some of you are overworried about certain aspects. Carmack still remains as technical director. He's smart enough not to make a game full of bugs. It's also said that most key people at id remain in positions continuing to operate as usual so I don't see if this business change will impact the future quality of games.

In fact, I think some of you are whining too much that you're dwelling too much on the old id games. The gaming world has moved away and on to a new generation long ago. If you don't like it, then stop playing. There's always new blood coming in for support. We live in a world full of commericials with business decisions in weigh, it's inevitable to stop the change. Learn to deal and live with it

Old Post 06-25-09 11:04 #
999cop is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
999cop
Constrained Owing to Lot

Besides that, I bet Activision has been ripping off a lot of commissions from partnering with id in the past and especially during this recession period, it has become more demanding from Activision. This is a very wise move by id, although I'm sure Carmack has enough money backing to save the company if it were in financial trouble.

Old Post 06-25-09 11:08 #
999cop is offline Profile || Blog || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote