User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > EXCLUSIVE DOOM3 NFO HERE!!!!!@#$!@#$

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:14.   
prower
Linguica fired me

With all this talk about Doom 3 and Dima and a press beta on the 11th, I figured it was time to get some answers. And I decided to get those answers straight from the source. I headed down to id Software headquarters in Dallas, Texas, and met with the main man himself, Johnny "J-dawg" Carmack.

prower: Hey, John! It's great to finally meet one of the heroes of the gaming world!

John Carmack: Huh? Who let you in here? Get out of my office at once!

p: Take it easy, John. I'm just here to ask a few questions.

JC: Well, okay, but make it quick. I haven't masturbated since noon, and I'd like to get started on that "side project" pretty soon. [Ed. note: the interview took place at 12:45, to the best of my recollection]

p: Sure thing, John. Firstly, certain "people" (uses fingers to pantomime quotes in the air) claim that their "sources" (again with the pantomiming) claim that there will be an exclusive "beta" of your new "game" for the "press".

JC: Well, obviously. It's id tradition to release betas and demos of our games, both to the press and the public.

p: So, is August 11th the confirmed date for the press-beta... thing?

JC: (laughs) August 11th? You're kidding me. Right now our progress on Doom 3 has been minimal, at best. So far our main obstacle is getting Todd Hollenstead out of his alcohol addiction. Graeme Divine is spending way too much time with Anna Kang [ Carmack's girlfriend - Ed. ], and because of that, I'm smoking more crack and injecting more heroin than I've ever been.

p: I see. If you've accomplished so little on the project, then why did the Doom 3 tech showcase at Macworld look so classy and polished?

JC: (starts giggling, then slowly, his laughter transmutates into a hellish, demonic laughter. After several minutes of evil laughter, he dramatically pauses, then coughs) As I was saying, the Doom 3 demo was just something Kevin Cloud [artist at id] made in 3d Studio Max in his spare time. To hype up the game, we just used that and said "hey, it's Doom 3!", knowing very well that the fanboys would drool all over it.

p: What's in store for us in the upcoming Doom?

JC: We're going to collaborate with 3D Realms, so expert the game to have lots of boobs, tits, knockers and jugs, as well as aliens, blood, the ability to sever limbs off people, and toast them with flamethrowers. And we're going to steal lines from Bruce Campbell for the Doom guy's one-liners.

p: Are there going to be any Doom monsters returning to the sequel?

JC: Uh, I don't know, I don't actually do work on the game. I just code the engine. Um, sure, I'll throw an imp or two in there, if it makes the fanboys happy.

p: What about the rumours that John Romero is going to help with this project?

JC: John Romero is currently locked in the basement of id's offices, being forced to do level design 24/7 while being compensated at minimum wage. When his levels suck, we get Todd [Hollenstead] to whip him, so I guarantee that Doom 3 will have some of the best level design there is!

p: Will Doom 3 have any piracy detection?

JC: The Doom 3 source code actually contains a bit of code which emits a small amount of nitroglycerin onto your hard drive. If the game is found to be pirated, well, your computer blows up. Then the id MiBs go to your house and rape your mother.

p: Sounds like fun. Well, John, thanks for your time.

At that point, I got up to shake his hand. Instead of returning the shake, he unzipped his pants and started jacking off. I stormed out of the building, disgusted.

And that's my exclusive interview with John Carmack. I hope that clears up some of the questions you guys have about Doom 3!

Old Post 08-01-01 21:46
prower is offline Profile || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Katarhyne
She's a MAN, baby!!

I heard that they weren't gonna have savegames in Doom3, and like, the game was only gonna be in 16-bit color 'cause JC didn't think 32-bit color was worth the performance hit. Oh and like, is it true that the main character is a gangbangin' thug now?

Old Post 08-01-01 22:02
Katarhyne is offline Profile || Click here to Send Katarhyne a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
prower
Linguica fired me

I heard that they weren't gonna have savegames in Doom3, and like, the game was only gonna be in 16-bit color 'cause JC didn't think 32-bit color was worth the performance hit. Oh and like, is it true that the main character is a gangbangin' thug now?

They're not going to have the traditional type of savegames. Inspired by the successful Daikatana, they're going to have "save gems" that you can pick up, and you must use them when you want to save. You're right about the no 32-bit thing, though. Carmack said it just wasn't worth his time or the performance hit. Not sure if he's a thug, but the new Doomguy is going to be black and wear lots of, in Carmack's words, "bling-blingin' jewelry".

Old Post 08-01-01 22:06
prower is offline Profile || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dark Fox
No one <3's me enough

Dallas, Texas

Its not in dallas dumbass.. Its near austin..

Old Post 08-01-01 22:06
Dark Fox is offline Profile || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Katarhyne
She's a MAN, baby!!

So does that mean he's gonna roll with the G-money clique? I guess then he won't be fighting demons, it'll be the man tryin'a keep a brotha' down. ::nods::

So what about T&L, huh? I heard JC doesn't want T&L support in the game because it's useless, and also that he thinks lightmaps are the way to go, 'cause real-time lighting is too hard to do. Did you hear anything about that?

Old Post 08-01-01 22:11
Katarhyne is offline Profile || Click here to Send Katarhyne a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
prower
Linguica fired me

So does that mean he's gonna roll with the G-money clique? I guess then he won't be fighting demons, it'll be the man tryin'a keep a brotha' down. ::nods::

So what about T&L, huh? I heard JC doesn't want T&L support in the game because it's useless, and also that he thinks lightmaps are the way to go, 'cause real-time lighting is too hard to do. Did you hear anything about that?

Hahaha, funny comment about the brotha' thing. As for T&L, Carmack says that he is designing the engine to run best on the GLIDE API, but will include Direct3D support that is "shoddy at best. Everyone should use GLIDE anyway." So I guess that means no T&L in Doom3.

Old Post 08-01-01 22:13
Quasar

John Carmack was so impressed with the work I've done on the Eternity Engine that he sent me the full source to DOOM 3 and told me I could use it however I want!

Here's a picture of one function from the wad file loading code -- seems DOOM 3 is gonna use DOOM(2) format wad files, I cross-referenced the source and while this is in C++, its very similar to the original wad code ^_^ I didn't think good old JC would get too bent out of shape if I showed a pic of just one function.

Here's the pic:
http://doomworld.com/eternity/shots/doomsrc.jpg

Old Post 08-01-01 22:32
Quasar is offline Profile || Click here to Send Quasar a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Arioch
not arioch

someone doesn't realize that doom 3 is being coded in cobol...
I heard Carmack is rewriting the inner assembly loops with QBasic, because it is "the right thing".

Old Post 08-01-01 22:47
Arioch is online now Profile || Click here to Send Arioch a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AN7
Green Marine

I heard infact doom3 is using the doom2 engine, to appeal the fanboys more.

Old Post 08-01-01 22:49
AN7 is offline Profile || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Quasar

It also uses QBasic as its scripting language -- Carmack wrote a whole interpreter into the game engine, but its in Java and has to be called from C++ through the JNI. To script your levels you have to make a Java class with the QBasic code in a static String, like this:

class MyLevelScript extends DOOMQBasicInterpInstance
{
private static final String code =
"Column = 80 \\ 2\n" +
"COLOR 26, 1\n" +
"CLS\n" +
"Title$ = \"D o o m S o l i t a i r e\"\n" +
"WhoDunnit$ = \"By James Haley\"\n" +
"LOCATE 8, Column - (LEN(Title$) / 2 + .5)\n" +
"PRINT Title$\n" +
"LOCATE 12, Column - (LEN(WhoDunnit$) / 2 + .5)\n" +
"PRINT WhoDunnit$\n" +
"PLAY \"MBT175O2L8CDEDCDL4ECC\"\n" +
"DO WHILE INKEY$ = \"\": LOOP\n";

public void start()
{
startScriptInstance(code);
}
}

Its a real pain getting all those character escapes into your QBasic code but once you do that, it runs like a beaut!

Old Post 08-01-01 23:08
Quasar is offline Profile || Click here to Send Quasar a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Linguica

Really? Because last week, Tim Willits was driving through my neighborhood, swerved off the road, and drove straight through the front wall of my house and into my living room. When he got out of the car I could tell that he was coked out of his mind, and he pleaded with me not to report it to the cops because he was already on probation for smashing a bottle of bourbon over a pregnant woman's head during a brawl at a Marie Callendar's. He told me that Doom 3 was going to be one big cutscene like Dragon's Lair or Space Ace, except that at key moments you would have to type the names of the monsters attacking you in order to kill them. That's why the current poll on the front page is asking people to choose between "mancubuses" and "mancubi," because id isn't sure which one to use.

Old Post 08-01-01 23:10
Linguica is offline Profile || Click here to Send Linguica a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ralphis`
Loser

or we could all say fuck it and close this post. Just my opinion

Old Post 08-01-01 23:15
Ralphis` is offline Profile || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

This thing is over. Lot's of fun, some replies from the admins, but this shouldn't be here, people.

Nice job, prower, still, I gotta shutdown this one.

Old Post 08-02-01 02:37
Zaldron is offline Profile || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote