User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > What if...

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:10.   
Captain Red
Pants

What happens if two users try to post on the same thred at the same time?

it must of happent at lest once...

Old Post 08-18-01 11:33
Captain Red is offline Profile || Click here to Send Captain Red a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Disorder
Boards of Canada

It never happened before. Cause if it did happen, the whole forum would burn down. Really.

Old Post 08-18-01 12:07
Disorder is offline Profile || Click here to Send Disorder a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

Since computers move so fast there is no such thing as the same time on a computer. It is impossible to do something at the exact same time. Things are milliseconds apart and computers can operate in milliseconds so whoever was milliseconds faster would have their post first...then the forum burns down.

Old Post 08-18-01 12:22
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Click here to Send Naked Snake a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Disorder
Boards of Canada

...so whoever was milliseconds faster would have their post first...then the forum burns down.
See RedPants, Just like I told you =)

Old Post 08-18-01 13:39
Disorder is offline Profile || Click here to Send Disorder a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
999cop
Constrained Owing to Lot

i remember this topic was brought up by shotgun-bill arleady

Old Post 08-18-01 18:07
999cop is offline Profile || Click here to Send 999cop a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AirRaid
Graphics Zealot

No, he asked if two threads could be exactly the same. Which is impossible cos one would be tid=2009 and one would be tid=2010, so they wouldn't be identical. But he's a dumbass, and so probably doesnt understand logic.

Old Post 08-18-01 19:05
AirRaid is offline Profile || Click here to Send AirRaid a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

There's no way that could possibly happen. It just wouldn't work. Somebody could be off by just a couple of milliseconds, and they wouldn't be able to post directly with another person. Comps nowdays are too fast for that sort of thing.

Old Post 08-18-01 20:44
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Click here to Send DooMBoy a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Computers accept data sequencially. It just can't happen.

Old Post 08-18-01 20:50
Zaldron is offline Profile || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AirRaid
Graphics Zealot

Yeah. Even if it did happen exactly at the same time, one request would be put on hold until the other one had been processed.

Old Post 08-18-01 20:53
AirRaid is offline Profile || Click here to Send AirRaid a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deadnail
i define my reality through misery

We're discussing the 'what-ifs', not just how bloody unlikely it would be to happen.

Suppose the data did get accepted to the system at the exact same nanosecond. It would then order them by user, title, forum, all of that shit. Even if two pieces of data slam in at the exact same possible second and somehow get fed to the forum processing routines at the exact same time too there would be at least one bit of difference, one little zero or one, that allows it to differentiate the two and therefore choose which one gets put up first.

And what if it couldn't? What if, by somehow, two exactly the same pieces of data were submitted by exactly the same method/person at exactly the same nanosecond, even though this defies all logic, and even further was somehow taken in by the forum at the exact same nanosecond, another defiance, so then maybe it would lock up.

So you restart it. Big deal.

Old Post 08-18-01 21:00
deadnail is offline Profile || Click here to Send deadnail a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
læmænt
BAND

Same thing; can't happen. You CAN'T send two pieces of data at the same time -- it's just impossible. It's like trying to make two objects to occupy the same place.

If two different pieces of data happen to be at one place at one time, the result is their interference (like two radio stations heard at once). They become unrecognizable and won't get anywhere.

Old Post 08-18-01 21:52
læmænt is offline Profile || Click here to Send læmænt a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

If two different pieces of data happen to be at one place at one time, the result is their interference (like two radio stations heard at once). They become unrecognizable and won't get anywhere.
...or one times out waiting for the other to pass.

Old Post 08-18-01 22:06
Lüt is offline Profile || Click here to Send Lüt a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Naked Snake

Just checking to see if I am unbanned.

Old Post 08-18-01 22:11
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Click here to Send Naked Snake a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
læmænt
BAND

No, you're not.

Old Post 08-18-01 22:23
læmænt is offline Profile || Click here to Send læmænt a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Naked Snake

Oh...:(

Old Post 08-19-01 00:07
AirRaid
Graphics Zealot

Hang on......

Old Post 08-19-01 00:46
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

At least he didn't raised a whole new topic...

Old Post 08-19-01 01:32
Zaldron is offline Profile || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

Come to think of it, I'm getting pretty sick of this one...

Old Post 08-19-01 01:49
Lüt is offline Profile || Click here to Send Lüt a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote