User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > I am such a stupid french guy.
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:00.   
Julian

Here is what I received from the Deepsea coder in my mail box. He is talking about the comment thread that followed the news of Deepsea release on DW.
I will not make any comment about this. Just read and make your own opinion.

//BEGIN

To: contact@julianhope.com
Subject: Did you understand this or what?

I KNOW you don't understand what I'm writing. The French (you are French right) have a translation problem with English. Why I don't know. You came across quite the opposite of your perceptions. And similarly, your perception of what I'm writing was tainted totally by the others. This is what I posted in the thread and somehow you still didn't understand?
-------------------------------------------------

Too bad the sensitivity factor is so high. In the real world I run across the same thing. My brother is a MJ user since Vietnam. He thinks it harmless. So do his friends.

One of them was bragging about how he quit smoking because - of course - it's bad for you. Great eh?

I always forget how defensive people get (meaning they don't "hear" anything), so I (not thinking clearly because of all the 2nd hand MJ smoke) mentioned that a study just came out showing how MJ was worse than tobacco because deep inhaling and holding it in.

Guess how that went from there:) I ran for my life:)

I admit that it still surprises me that the simplest factual comments unglues some people. As if I was pillaging or something. (Just a little pillaging can be fun though)

So rather than me trying to "diss" anything, it was instead given a background on certain things and why I knew. Liking or not liking is NOT a factual discussion (as NiGHTMARE pointed out) and wasn't really my point.

I'm always curious to see the reasoning behind some statements. It was too much to expect an answer.

//END

You can leave your comments if you wish.

Old Post 09-02-01 13:50
Julian is offline Profile || Click here to Send Julian a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deathz0r
Bitch fuckin' stole me chaingun!

i say it's stupid to dis people cause they aren't good at english. it shows that some people are immature in certain areas.

Old Post 09-02-01 13:53
deathz0r is offline Profile || Click here to Send deathz0r a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
fraggle
Filled with the code of Doom

flamewar ahoy!

Old Post 09-02-01 13:54
fraggle is offline Profile || Click here to Send fraggle a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Katgut
Post Out Of Order

flamewar ahoy!

[pirate]Arrr, we be a-boardin' yas and stealin' all your booty![/pirate]

Old Post 09-02-01 14:57
Katgut is offline Profile || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

Mr. Vermeulen is on the way to destruction.

Old Post 09-02-01 15:46
Lüt is offline Profile || Click here to Send Lüt a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AirRaid
Graphics Zealot

flamewar ahoy!

rofl

Old Post 09-02-01 15:58
AirRaid is offline Profile || Click here to Send AirRaid a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
aurikan
no buts, meow

its nigh time for the return of the GPL militants

Old Post 09-02-01 18:37
aurikan is offline Profile || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
captmellow

Julian, personally I do not post private messages. I feel that it violates in implicit trust, which is conveyed in choosing to use a private email rather than a forum post.

I know that there are wildly varying opinions re: this, but my own feelings are that if I had written a personal email, I wouldn't want it posted in a forum. To do so, IMO, indicates either a lack of perception, or a disdain for others, either of which tend to, over time, hinder effective coexistence w/ people, be they coworkers, family, etc.

That's just my 2˘.

Old Post 09-02-01 18:48
captmellow is offline Profile || Click here to Send captmellow a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deep
as in Deepsea

In case you don't know it, besides being very BAD manners to publicly post an email. It's also ILLEGAL to do so without my permission. Look it up - simple copyright and privacy laws. Check with your hosting company too.

What you did is both immature and childish and it looks like very FRENCH.

You take something trying to EXPLAIN something and you try to boost our own EGO.

I'm so impressed Julian. You didn't have the balls to email me, so you get more bullies together.

And I'm not dissin Julian, but it looks like that's your goal. His understanding and writing is just damn confusing. As NiGHTMARE wrote, he'd accuse the jury. LOL

Old Post 09-02-01 18:48
deep is offline Profile || Click here to Send deep a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

Julian, personally I do not post private messages. I feel that it violates in implicit trust, which is conveyed in choosing to use a private email rather than a forum post.
This is true, but notice the last line of the first paragraph: "This is what I posted in the thread". The message was already (mostly) a public message, taken from a comment thread. Apparently he wasn't happy with the lack of response, so now he's gonna get quite a few.

Old Post 09-02-01 18:53
Lüt is offline Profile || Click here to Send Lüt a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deep
as in Deepsea

Thank you for your comments.

Clearly I was trying to avoid a public flaming contest. Ignorance of the laws does not protect one.

---------------------

Btw, I like the unique style of your launcher. There is a default path for the help that needs to be changed. Easy enough to fix.

Old Post 09-02-01 18:54
deep is offline Profile || Click here to Send deep a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
captmellow

Btw, I like the unique style of your launcher. There is a default path for the help that needs to be changed. Easy enough to fix.
Well, this marks the very first feedback since I released that beta. :-) What exactly is the problem re: the path?

Old Post 09-02-01 18:58
captmellow is offline Profile || Click here to Send captmellow a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deep
as in Deepsea

Nope you loose.

First of all, technically he posted my email address and something very private to him. Look at the topic heading!

He posted something I DID NOT post in the forum.

I mostly didn't kill him. Get it?

Also guessing "about lack of response" is pretty sucky lut. I could care less. I was directing this to JULIAN. I didn't want to have any hard feelings between us and was trying to explain.

I guess you are trying for the opposite. Oh well. Thanks for your support.

Old Post 09-02-01 18:59
deep
as in Deepsea

Well, this marks the very first feedback since I released that beta. :-) What exactly is the problem re: the path?

Yes, it points to a path on your machine when it launches notepad (as I recall). That's why testing on one's own machine never is the same as the real world:)

Old Post 09-02-01 19:01
Lüt
Administrator

Also guessing "about lack of response" is pretty sucky lut. I could care less. I was directing this to JULIAN.
And why would you direct it at Julian through email if you didn't want a response?

Old Post 09-02-01 19:02
deep
as in Deepsea

And why would you direct it at Julian through email if you didn't want a response?

Uh, you do know how to read?

See above. What part don't you understand.

Email is PRIVATE. The purpose is for the RECIPIENT to email back.

Look up the statutes bud.

Old Post 09-02-01 19:05
captmellow

Yes, it points to a path on your machine when it launches notepad (as I recall). That's why testing on one's own machine never is the same as the real world:)
No kidding. So, what is the result? Does notepad gripe about not finding the file, & nothing comes up?

Old Post 09-02-01 19:05
deep
as in Deepsea

No kidding. So, what is the result? Does notepad gripe about not finding the file, & nothing comes up?

Love having 2 disparate topics:)

Yes, a gripe and then it doesn't come up.

Of course, technically this is an "email" type discussion, but what the heck.

Old Post 09-02-01 19:07
Lüt
Administrator

Uh, you do know how to read?

See above. What part don't you understand.

Email is PRIVATE. The purpose is for the RECIPIENT to email back.
Right, like I said, "lack of response". You misread.

Old Post 09-02-01 19:08
captmellow

thx deep.

Old Post 09-02-01 19:09
deep
as in Deepsea

like I said, "lack of response". You misread.

Misread? WTF are you talking about? Are you French too?

The EMAIL was written to JULIAN to try to mend things. (Which I already wrote). I wanted a response from HIM via EMAIL.

Now what exactly does this have to do with "lack of reponse"? From whom? Julian or ? Via email, I was hoping I could get through this language / cultural barrier that is quite evident to me.

I truly get amazed at the twisted interpretation people put on the simplest things and try to justify them.

SOME people understand. Try thinking a different way for a change.

Old Post 09-02-01 19:16
aurikan
no buts, meow

I think deep should stop being racist.

Old Post 09-02-01 19:17
aurikan is offline Profile || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deep
as in Deepsea

I think deep should stop being racist.

Racist? LOL. So you think the French are a different race?

It's a simple fact that there are translation issues. And sometimes cultural differences distort the "meaining" of words.

For your info, I'm was born in NEDERLAND. So I guess that makes YOU a racist.

Because of my background I know exactly how the same words mean quite different things.

So you think that's it's proper etiquette to post PRIVATE emails? (Ignoring the legal aspects for a minute?)

Btw, what part of JULIAN's post made me a "racist"?

Old Post 09-02-01 19:21
Lüt
Administrator

I dunno WHAT THE HELL being French has to do with anything. To quote you, "I wanted a response from HIM via EMAIL." Which is exactly what I meant by "apparently he wasn't happy with the lack of response." You wanted him to respond, right? Probably first in the comment thread, and now through email since the comment thread is dead. So it's not a "sucky guess", it's pretty obvious, you just said it yourself. I don't know anybody who's ever sent email to an individual without expecting a response.

Old Post 09-02-01 19:23
deep
as in Deepsea

Shit, I'm having trouble with an American.

I think I know what you mean now and I apologize.

Too much coffee and probably too pissed at seing what Julian did. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

Wait - I take that back.

You have it WRONG still. I wasn't expecting a comment from him in the original thread at all - that is your ASSUMPTION.

Read this very carefully:

I wrote that trying to mend things. I posted that AFTER Julian posted and the thread was "dead" for all practical purposes, so I assumed he probably never even read it.

Since I already wrote what I thought was a reasonable explanation, why redo the whole thing? So I just sent that along with an explanation - that he AGAIN twisted into something else.

Old Post 09-02-01 19:35
aurikan
no buts, meow

The following definitions were pulled from http://www.dictionary.com

racist (adj)
1: based on racial intolerance; "racist remarks"
2: discriminatory especially on the basis of race

race (n)
4: Humans considered as a group

From my interpretation of your remarks (and I'm sure some others would agree with my interpretation) you use the term "FRENCH" in a certain manner: that is you attribute a certain quality to being "FRENCH". Thus you have created a group of humans (those with the quality of being "FRENCH"), hence these people who are "FRENCH" are a race.

In addition, from my interpretation, the manner in which you use the term "FRENCH" is derogatory: ascribing to the "FRENCH" a certain disdainful quality. Hence your usage of the term "FRENCH" imparts an intolerant or discriminatory attitude towards this race.

Therefore, I conclude that you are being racist by calling people "FRENCH".

In addition, you accuse me of being racist simply because you are from NEDERLAND, and not from any of my actions. Hence I continue to hold that I was unaware of your background before now and that even in full knowledge of your background I do not discriminate against you unduly because of your background. That is, any disdain I might be showing you is, in my eyes, wholly earned by your actions.

Old Post 09-02-01 19:42
deep
as in Deepsea

First off, I love how you ignore the fact that posting what he did is UNETHICAL and ILLEGAL.

Secondly: YOUR interpretation tries to avoid my explanation. Now who knows better than what I meant? Mindreaders are we?

Thirdly: my explanation is very clear that I meant no "racist" thing at all.

Fourthly: Cobbling together dictionary entries to try to make pretend meanings out of a sentence is illogical. You can take the various meanings of words, rearrange them and get just about any interpretation one wants.

So you think JULIANs actions were ethical? You avoided that part of the post.

Old Post 09-02-01 19:53
Lüt
Administrator

You have it WRONG still. I wasn't expecting a comment from him in the original thread at all - that is your ASSUMPTION.
Christ with hemochromatosis, you'd argue with a fence post. Regardless of if you posted after the comment thread fell off the main page or not, you posted something in the comment thread you figured he wouldn't see and decided to email it to him for a response instead. But you posted it in the thread first, which was made clear in your initial paragraph in the email. Whether or not you thought he wouldn't see it when you posted doesn't mean anything.

I wrote that trying to mend things. I posted that AFTER Julian posted and the thread was "dead" for all practical purposes, so I assumed he probably never even read it.

The French (you are French right) have a translation problem with English. Why I don't know. This is what I posted in the thread and somehow you still didn't understand?
Yeah, that'll mend it alright. Sheesh.

Old Post 09-02-01 19:53
fodders
OWNS YOU

Posting someone's email material is not illegal in most countries, when you sent your msg via electronic media, it is longer your property, and is the sole property of the recipient

Old Post 09-02-01 20:05
fodders is offline Profile || Click here to Send fodders a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
deep
as in Deepsea

Yeah I argue with a fence post when the fence post is twisting things.

you posted something in the comment thread you figured he wouldn't see and decided to email it to him for a response instead

NO. You really ASSUME way too much here. And go into a pretty imaginary spin there.

I started to email him and thought, wait let me use my last post - so that's why I wrote what I did. Like the other guy, I don't know anyone who is a MIND reader yet.

The thread post was NOT intended for him per se. Just a general comment to EVERYONE. (That should be obvious).

The French thing was actually just a way of explanation. It can be interpreted either way. If one READS it with an open mind it's becomes such. But if one is determined to read negative things in everything then that's the way it becomes. Clearly you belong in the latter.

(And the French are sensitive to DIFFERENT things. That's not a slam, it's just a fact. It's not racial. It's not biased. It's just an observation.)

The French to you was because I was pissed. Like you guys are all so proper and prim. Please give that scene a rest.

Why I have to explain this is sort of weird. JULIAN is the one that did the UNETHICAL and ILLEGAL actions here bud. Why not address those?

So you think it's ethical to post?

DO you think it's legal?

Old Post 09-02-01 20:08