User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Liam...

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:38.   
Liam
the Bard formerly known as the Bard

Alright, how many of you can pronounce my name right? Here's a list of all the mispronounciations (and people sometimes refer to me as these permanently, even after I've corrected them a million times) with the correct one thrown in there...

1.) Lee-ohm
2.) Ly-ahm
3.) Limb
4.) Lee-uhm
5.) Ly-uhm
6.) Line
7.) Limon
8.) Lee-ahn
9.) Leem
10.) Flym

BTW, the answer is YES, my name is mispronounced on a regular basis.

Old Post 10-19-01 01:38
Liam is offline Profile || Click here to Send Liam a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
lmnt
BAND

ly-ahm

Old Post 10-19-01 01:46
lmnt is offline Profile || Click here to Send lmnt a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Liam

ly-ahm

Well, that narrows down the selection for the other people :)

Old Post 10-19-01 01:53
Liam is offline Profile || Click here to Send Liam a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

Lee-uhm.

Old Post 10-19-01 01:56
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Click here to Send Kid Airbag a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Liam

Lee-uhm.

hooray!

Old Post 10-19-01 02:00
EllipsusD

I would say #4... am I right? Even if I am wrong, I don't think that would really change the way I pronounce it.

Edit:

Old Post 10-19-01 02:00
EllipsusD is offline Profile || Click here to Send EllipsusD a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag
Not really a kid. Not really an airbag. WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!? Who's asking? Are you French? An airbag is a safety device in a car that inflates during a collision and blocks you from smashing your head into the dashboard or steering wheel!

It was #4, but I beat you :P

Old Post 10-19-01 02:02
Kid Airbag is offline Profile || Click here to Send Kid Airbag a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Liam

Limb is the most common mispronounciation I get, Limon and Flym are the most ridiculous.

Old Post 10-19-01 02:05
Kid Airbag

Well, I've always known it was pronounced Lee-uhm, I guess cause I'm Irish and that's my name in Gaelic or whatever.

Old Post 10-19-01 02:22
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

Pfft! People call me bigbadgangster alot. I know its not as big as mispronouncing Liam but still, its not bigbadgangster its BIGBADGANGSTA. Can people not say "sta" at the end of a sentance or something? And why do people always abreviat my nick? BBG. God, just type it damn you. Whew...I dont know what got into me.

Old Post 10-19-01 04:23
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Click here to Send Naked Snake a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lt
Administrator

I say it "lee-am", like a badly translated Japanese game: "Lee am going walk for" or something.

Old Post 10-19-01 08:37
Lt is offline Profile || Click here to Send Lt a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Submerge
Dumboy traded my soul for pogs

It's #4, I know this because I keep hearing the name 'Liam Neeson' (I do know who he plays) whenever someone mentions Star-Wars. people mispronounce my name ALL the time. They get the first name, Joel, right often enough, but my last name, Poston, is messed up on a regular basis. Think of Edgar Allen Poe when you pronounce it. It's like this: Poe's ton. Now say it really fast. there, you got it. It's not Poss-ton, it's Poe's ton.
Once, I scrawled my name really fast in cursive, and some genius thought that my name was joel Kostov. That would be a decent alias....

Whoops, I'm rambling, sorry.

Old Post 10-19-01 15:57
Submerge is offline Profile || Click here to Send Submerge a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dr_st
Sorcerer on vacation

Lee-uhm.

hooray!

So basically you want to say that's your name is pronounced as it is written "Liam" (which is so not typical to english). Because Lee-uhm is altogether different. Leeuhm is hardly pronounceable.

Old Post 10-19-01 19:52
dr_st is offline Profile || Click here to Send dr_st a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kid Airbag

Pfft! People call me bigbadgangster alot. I know its not as big as mispronouncing Liam but still, its not bigbadgangster its BIGBADGANGSTA. Can people not say "sta" at the end of a sentance or something? And why do people always abreviat my nick? BBG. God, just type it damn you. Whew...I dont know what got into me.

Okay, BBGangster.

Old Post 10-19-01 21:34
Crendowing
I've lost my unbanned status....I couldn't be happier :P

OMFG!!!! You'd have to be a total NEWBIE-RAPING DUPE to not know how to pronounce LIAM!!!!!!

LIAM NESSON, ANYBODY??????????? COME THE FUCK ON PEOPLE!!!!!!! (my point was that there's obviously more than one "Liam" in the world)

Old Post 10-19-01 22:27
Crendowing is offline Profile || Click here to Send Crendowing a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lt
Administrator

LIAM NESSON, ANYBODY???????????
Neeson maybe?

Old Post 10-20-01 03:27
Lt is offline Profile || Click here to Send Lt a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Naked Snake
HAHA I AM A FAG AND I CAN'T CHANGE THIS TITLE ANYMORE

Okay, BBGangster.

Ok archie, your pushing it :P

Old Post 10-20-01 03:56
Naked Snake is offline Profile || Click here to Send Naked Snake a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Goat
Baa!

badly translated Japanese game: "Lee am going walk for" or something.

Like "All your base are belong to us" ?

Old Post 10-20-01 04:37
Goat is offline Profile || Click here to Send Goat a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Crendowing
I've lost my unbanned status....I couldn't be happier :P

LIAM NESSON, ANYBODY???????????
Neeson maybe?

Whoops. I just looked on the back of my Star Wars Episode I video box. Yep.

/me knocks myself on the head with a 40 ton sledgehammer

Old Post 10-20-01 15:39
Crendowing is offline Profile || Click here to Send Crendowing a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMBoy
Heh
(but Stupidity still cannot be concealed)

It's Lee-am. How else should you say it?

Old Post 10-21-01 22:47
DooMBoy is offline Profile || Click here to Send DooMBoy a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
danarchist
The Origional Danarchist

I know this dude...his last name is Boutet. His name has been mispronounced and mispelled in these forms:
Bow-tet
Boo-tet
Boo-Tee
and the lamest:
Boutetson

Now anyone with any knowledge whatsoever of French would know his name is pronounced: Boo-Tay. Interestingly enough, this brings up many jokes, but whatever.

Speaking of bards with hard-to-pronounce names, can you pronounce this one?
Iolo
Extra points go to the person that can name the game series he's from.

Old Post 10-22-01 04:31
danarchist is offline Profile || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Submerge

Speaking of bards with hard-to-pronounce names, can you pronounce this one?
Iolo
Extra points go to the person that can name the game series he's from.

Isn't it eye-oh-lo? And I think he's from Final Fantasy, correct?

Old Post 10-22-01 12:30
Submerge is offline Profile || Click here to Send Submerge a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Astewart41
Loser

Iolo was first introduced into the Ultima series around the mid 1980's ('84?) in Ultima 4: Quest for the Avatar, which was also when most of the other characters you see in the modern Ultimas now came in. (Shamino, Dupre, Gwenno, etc..)

His name I believe is pronounced Yo-Lo

Long live Ultima!

Old Post 10-22-01 12:51
Astewart41 is offline Profile || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lt
Administrator

Heh, try this: flaa

Old Post 10-22-01 14:11
danarchist
The Origional Danarchist

Iolo was first introduced into the Ultima series around the mid 1980's ('84?) in Ultima 4: Quest for the Avatar, which was also when most of the other characters you see in the modern Ultimas now came in. (Shamino, Dupre, Gwenno, etc..)

Long live Ultima!

Yay...
/me gives Astewart a cookie.
I once borrowed the Ultima collection from a freind. It contained Ultima 1-8 plus the prequel, Akalabeth. I played those games for weeks, especialy Ultima 8...that one rocked.

Old Post 10-22-01 14:57
danarchist is offline Profile || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Submerge

Oh well. Figures I'd get it wrong. I've never ever played ultima before. not once. ever. in my life. no.

Old Post 10-22-01 15:50
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

"Liam" just as in Spanish. Curiously enough, that sounds like "Lee-umh".

Old Post 10-22-01 17:24
Zaldron is offline Profile || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Astewart41
Loser

Long live Ultima!

Yay...
/me gives Astewart a cookie.
I once borrowed the Ultima collection from a freind. It contained Ultima 1-8 plus the prequel, Akalabeth. I played those games for weeks, especialy Ultima 8...that one rocked.

Pagan was pretty good, but very confusing for me, and what sucks is that you could not steal a SINGLE THING or (forgot his name) would be summoned and blow you to little pieces! :/

Quite frankly, my favorites are the first two in the Guardian Trilogy: The Black Gate and Serpent Isle, I am however hoping to get my hands on a copy of Ascension... *Evil Grin*

Old Post 10-22-01 21:15
Astewart41 is offline Profile || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zaldron
Sex Cauldron

Pagan was pretty good, but very confusing for me, and what sucks is that you could not steal a SINGLE THING or (forgot his name) would be summoned and blow you to little pieces! :/

NOOOO IT'S BEREN THE MOTHERFUCKER. DAMN YOU BEREN, DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!!!

I love Ultima too, specially VII, VII:2 and VIII. Too bad Ascension is pretty lame.

Old Post 10-23-01 13:06
Zaldron is offline Profile || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
danarchist
The Origional Danarchist

Quite frankly, my favorites are the first two in the Guardian Trilogy: The Black Gate and Serpent Isle, I am however hoping to get my hands on a copy of Ascension... *Evil Grin*

Hint: Don't steal anything when someone is looking (i.e. steal from abandoned houses or turn invisible.

Old Post 10-23-01 14:54