User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Okay, what the hell, bronies?
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 » ... Last »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:20.   
Sodaholic
Forum Staple

http://www.indiegogo.com/Equestria

This "fandom" just went full retarded. I don't even know what to say anymore, other than that these spergs are taking this shit way too far. Funny that they only raised like 40 bucks, out of 600,000. It will clearly never reach completion, but if in the splinter chance that it does, I wanna see it firebombed by surprise in the middle of their sperg fest when the island is most populated.

The fact that they would even think this shit up in the first place, let alone go through the effort of trying to organize it on a fundraising site makes me heavily question the fandom's sanity, even more besides the gender and age gap from the intended target audience.

Old Post 07-07-12 06:51
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Click here to Send Sodaholic a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

This isn't the first time someone has tried to swindle a group of man-children.

Old Post 07-07-12 07:09
Technician is online now Profile || Click here to Send Technician a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

The fact that this has you so wound up makes me question your sanity.

Honestly, I think $600,000 could be better put elsewhere (like buying 1500 xboxes) but if they can raise the money (which they likely won't, I'm not sure if this is even serious), then I will get a big new map, find the island and say "hah".

Like I've said before I'd probably be super in to the show, but I've just never taken the time to watch it, like so many other things. I don't understand the hate.

Also did you just say "spergs"? Okay..

Old Post 07-07-12 07:11
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Click here to Send DuckReconMajor a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

DuckReconMajor said:
Like I've said before I'd probably be super in to the show, but I've just never taken the time to watch it, like so many other things. I don't understand the hate.
I've watched an episode on Youtube sometime back; it's just a generic American kids show that pushes standard moral lessons.

Old Post 07-07-12 07:26
Technician is online now Profile || Click here to Send Technician a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

Oh. Well fuck bronies then.

Old Post 07-07-12 07:33
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Click here to Send DuckReconMajor a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

As a brony, I can say this does seem a bit silly. I don't see it being a campaign that many of us will actually back.

Your post is a tad aggressive, though, Soda. :/

Jimmy's Blog of Death - I make terrible posts here.

Old Post 07-07-12 07:46
Jimmy is offline Profile || Click here to Send Jimmy a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sgt dopey

[sarcasm]Us doomers should kickstart a project to name an island Dis or something[/sarcasm]

Old Post 07-07-12 07:46
sgt dopey is offline Profile || Click here to Send sgt dopey a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
Forum Staple

Jimmy91 said:
Your post is a tad aggressive, though, Soda. :/

I feel that I should specify that that this thread isn't serious, I don't actually mind that people watch the show, I just wanted to point out the absurdity of an island being constructed by overzealous fans around the show. :P

Last edited by Sodaholic on 07-07-12 at 07:54

Old Post 07-07-12 07:47
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Click here to Send Sodaholic a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Stapler

Hey, if they go through with it, we can always go to war with the island to "claim it back from imperialists", thus changing it to a name of our choice. I mean, that's totally working for Argentina, right? (I appreciate that what I've said is the very weakest of resemblances to the actual situation)

Old Post 07-07-12 08:08
Phobus is offline Profile || Click here to Send Phobus a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

sgt dopey said:
[sarcasm]Us doomers should kickstart a project to name an island Dis or something[/sarcasm]
What a great idea, and on the island's highest point we could erect a 10 metre tall bronze statue of Daisy's head on a stick.

Old Post 07-07-12 08:13
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Click here to Send GreyGhost a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Spammer

Jimmy91 said:
As a brony

As a brony, can you explain why MLP has such an enormous following?

I know that it's a cute little show for children featuring animated equines of various descriptions, and I know that there's a fringe movement of grown men with issues who get some kind of sexual gratification from watching the show... but then what? What's the appeal for everyone in-between? Unlike, say, Hayao Miyazaki's work it's not something that people of all ages can get equal enjoyment out of, but maybe that's what I'm not getting.

As for this island thing, I hope it's successful so we can get a good Louis Theroux documentary about it and the whole MLP phenomena.

Old Post 07-07-12 08:37
DoomUK is offline Profile || Click here to Send DoomUK a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

As someone who enjoys the show (but not necessarily identifying as a "brony"), who gives a flying fuck?

Old Post 07-07-12 08:47
Nomad is offline Profile || Click here to Send Nomad a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

Sodaholic said:
I feel that I should specify that that this thread isn't serious, I don't actually mind that people watch the show, I just wanted to point out the absurdity of an island being constructed by overzealous fans around the show. :P
lol soda how am I supposed to know what you're really saying when you always say it in a post edit after I've read it? :P

MY POSTS AREN'T THAT BAD!! I EDIT THEM LATER TO SAY WHAT I REALLY MEAN!!

Old Post 07-07-12 08:50
Jodwin
Forum Spammer

This world needs more silliness and less seriousness. I heartily approve of the (presumably joke) campaign.

Old Post 07-07-12 09:28
Jodwin is offline Profile || Click here to Send Jodwin a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

To be honest, I have the impression that the My Little Pony fad is starting to end, remaining only a niche.

Old Post 07-07-12 09:56
printz is offline Profile || Click here to Send printz a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

printz said:
To be honest, I have the impression that the My Little Pony fad is starting to end, remaining only a niche.

I don't think it was ever destined to be anything more than niche.

Old Post 07-07-12 10:01
Nomad is offline Profile || Click here to Send Nomad a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Nomad said:

I don't think it was ever destined to be anything more than niche.

But it has been quite common on the Internet, no?

Old Post 07-07-12 10:03
printz is offline Profile || Click here to Send printz a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

DoomUK said:
why MLP has such an enormous following?

Fantastic characters. They're unbelievably good.

Technician said:
I've watched an episode on Youtube sometime back; it's just a generic American kids show that pushes standard moral lessons.

Which one did you watch? IMO the first two eps don't really represent what the show is about.

Old Post 07-07-12 12:00
Memfis is online now Profile || Click here to Send Memfis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cannonball
Forum Staple

DoomUK said:

As for this island thing, I hope it's successful so we can get a good Louis Theroux documentary about it and the whole MLP phenomena.

Haha yeah that would be funny.
As for this, I can't see anything wrong with watching the show, hey I still enjoy watching kids films as much as I like films such as Scarface. I just can't see myself enjoying this show, but maybe I'm just too much of a wuss to watch it in the first place.

Old Post 07-07-12 12:11
cannonball is offline Profile || Click here to Send cannonball a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DeathevokatioN
Forum Staple

DoomUK said:

As a brony, can you explain why MLP has such an enormous following

ASS SHOTS

Old Post 07-07-12 12:35
DeathevokatioN is offline Profile || Click here to Send DeathevokatioN a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk
Forum Staple

This all reminds me, more than a bit, about the time Americans tried to raise enough money to build a statue of 'Robocop' in Chicago.

Old Post 07-07-12 12:39
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Click here to Send schwerpunk a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Revved

Goddamn, is this just sickening. It's one thing to watch a show that's neither in your gender or age range. It's another to try to build a real-life island and name it after a place in that show.

Oh, yeah, I also forgot this as well:
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4020/broniesthisisyourmindse.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
So I assume the next Deus Vult is going to have a Twilight Sparkle secret?

Last edited by Revved on 07-07-12 at 14:04

Old Post 07-07-12 13:53
Revved is offline Profile || Click here to Send Revved a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimmy
doesn't rhyme with MIDI :(

DoomUK said:
As a brony, can you explain why MLP has such an enormous following?
I really don't think there's anything more to it other than the fact that large groups of adolescent/older men - a group far outside the show's initial target demographic - can genuinely find the show entertaining.

I think it started on 4chan (as, y'know, everything on the internet does) with just a few posts and few guys claiming the show to actually be watchable and not just awful pre-teen girly gunk. It sort of ballooned from there as more and more men thinking "A girl's show that men can watch without throwing up? How utterly preposterous!" caved into their curiosity and gave it a go.

I think many bronies are in fact aware that genuinely liking a show for little girls is an absurd notion (at least by pretty much anyone's standards), but that's just part of the appeal. :P "Hee hee! I'm watching a girl's show without throwing up!"

DoomUK said:

No need for that - John DeLancie will explain everything for you when he releases his documentary. :P

Jimmy's Blog of Death - I make terrible posts here.

Old Post 07-07-12 14:08
Jimmy is offline Profile || Click here to Send Jimmy a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Mr. Freeze
etc.

At the gaming store I go to, a Brony meetup happens once every couple of Sundays. This occurs right when my group is playing D&D.

The first time they showed up, it was 20-25 people. Mostly males with 2 or so females.

They were two tables away from our D&D, and they were running Savage Worlds: Pony Edition.

Their leader looked like Richard Stallman, and was wearing an EFF t-shirt. Thanks to him, I now believe all software should be walled-garden and loaded with DRM.

He also had his laptop open, and little animated ponies were running around on the firefox page he was on. I was terrified.

Old Post 07-07-12 14:57
Mr. Freeze is offline Profile || Click here to Send Mr. Freeze a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

Revved said:
Goddamn, is this just sickening. It's one thing to watch a show that's neither in your gender or age range. It's another to try to build a real-life island and name it after a place in that show.

But is it really any different from building statues of mythical creatures or naming mountains after gods?

Old Post 07-07-12 15:03
Memfis is online now Profile || Click here to Send Memfis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
j4rio
Forum Staple

I hate horses in general. [/quality post]

Old Post 07-07-12 15:15
j4rio is online now Profile || Click here to Send j4rio a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Jimmy91 said:

I think it started on 4chan (as, y'know, everything on the internet does)

4chan must die. It has a stupid, anime kiddy-like name.

Old Post 07-07-12 15:29
Revved

Stop complaining about an anime-like name for a site where it's original purpose was to discuss anime.

Old Post 07-07-12 15:34
Revved is offline Profile || Click here to Send Revved a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Membrain

*Against better judgement, opens thread*

...What the flying fuck did I just walk in on?!

PS - Indiegogo's policy is that even if a project doesn't reach completion, the project makers still get the funding they were pledged. Not that it really matters all that much.

Old Post 07-07-12 15:48
Membrain is offline Profile || Click here to Send Membrain a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Coopersville
Get Psyched!

Now how long until someone starts an Indiegogo project to buy /v/ mansion?

Old Post 07-07-12 16:32
Coopersville is online now Profile || Click here to Send Coopersville a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote