User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Okay, what the hell, bronies?
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:22.   
Aliotroph?
postCount++

4chan should die just for keeping some of the world's stupidest forum software popular.

Old Post 07-07-12 16:39
Aliotroph? is offline Profile || Click here to Send Aliotroph? a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

Mr. Freeze said:
wearing an EFF t-shirt
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.ph...s&id=2207#comic ?

Jimmy91 said:
I think it started on 4chan (as, y'know, everything on the internet does)
not really

Old Post 07-07-12 17:11
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Click here to Send DuckReconMajor a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jodwin
Forum Staple

Jimmy91 said:
I think many bronies are in fact aware that genuinely liking a show for little girls is an absurd notion (at least by pretty much anyone's standards), but that's just part of the appeal. :P "Hee hee! I'm watching a girl's show without throwing up!"

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileiffusionOfInnovation.png]Laggards[/url], us otakus have been watching TV shows aimed at girls for decades and liking it!

Old Post 07-07-12 18:08
Jodwin is offline Profile || Click here to Send Jodwin a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

DuckReconMajor said:
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.ph...s&id=2207#comic ?

Hah!

Old Post 07-07-12 18:28
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Click here to Send schwerpunk a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
geekmarine

I think the appeal of the show is rather straightforward. Yeah, it's target audience is young girls, but the writers of the show don't condescend to its audience. Simply not being condescending can go a long way to extending a show's appeal beyond its target audience. It means that the writers don't sit down and try to force every line of dialog to appeal to little girls.

Beyond that, I think there's just a segment that misses having Saturday morning cartoons in their lives, and this just happens to be an easy one to get into.

Old Post 07-07-12 18:40
geekmarine is online now Profile || Click here to Send geekmarine a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Justince

Jimmy91 said:

Your post is a tad aggressive, though, Soda. :/

Stupid people can bring out some fairly raw emotions man.

Old Post 07-07-12 19:32
Justince is offline Profile || Click here to Send Justince a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

sgt dopey said:
[sarcasm]Us doomers should kickstart a project to name an island Dis or something[/sarcasm]

I'd back that up >.>

Old Post 07-07-12 19:47
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Click here to Send PRIMEVAL a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chungy

geekmarine said:
I think the appeal of the show is rather straightforward. Yeah, it's target audience is young girls, but the writers of the show don't condescend to its audience. Simply not being condescending can go a long way to extending a show's appeal beyond its target audience.

It's still what it is: a generic American kids show that pushes moral lessons. (To take technician's words)

It's well-done for what it is, but that's considering its target demographic. Outside of that demographic, it really shouldn't have much appeal.

Old Post 07-07-12 19:54
chungy is offline Profile || Click here to Send chungy a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DuckReconMajor
Forum Legend

chungy said:
shouldn't
Not sure what you mean by using this word. Are people to base their tastes on what you think makes sense? Even if the show isn't good, if people decide to enjoy it for other reasons, is that bad?

Old Post 07-07-12 20:35
DuckReconMajor is offline Profile || Click here to Send DuckReconMajor a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Csonicgo

Nomad said:
As someone who enjoys the show (but not necessarily identifying as a "brony"), who gives a flying fuck?

chungy said:

It's well-done for what it is, but that's considering its target demographic. Outside of that demographic, it really shouldn't have much appeal.

Linux(tm)

Coopersville said:
Now how long until someone starts an Indiegogo project to buy /v/ mansion?

Didn't /k/ try this with sealand?

Old Post 07-07-12 21:54
Csonicgo is offline Profile || Click here to Send Csonicgo a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sodaholic
I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time

We should start a fundraiser to recreate the Phobos moon base and all of the E1 level's interiors, and then there should be mandatory conventions held there for Doomworlders to go to. :P

Old Post 07-07-12 23:57
Sodaholic is offline Profile || Click here to Send Sodaholic a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Death Egg
Forum Regular

Well, in the defense of this, I'm sure there's a lot of fans out there who love to know that a location from the show they watch or game they play is actually a place they can visit. That's kind of part of the appeal of Disney World, and hell, at one point there was set to be a full-scale replica of the USS Enterprise in the middle of Las Vegas. In fact, I know you're joking Sodaholic, but I'd love to have the chance to actually walk around some of Doom's levels. It's nice for some people to further experience something that's just fantasy in real life, like how people buy action figures or prop replicas or cosplay... only this is to a more extreme level.

Old Post 07-08-12 00:32
Death Egg is offline Profile || Click here to Send Death Egg a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GeckoYamori

There has been a real life replica of de_dust or de_dust2 from Counter-Strike. Granted, it was a paintball arena so it's not that wacky in such a context.

Old Post 07-08-12 01:07
GeckoYamori is offline Profile || Click here to Send GeckoYamori a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
rf`
Dr. Nosign

As a brony, this is fucking crazy. I can't explain shit.

Old Post 07-08-12 02:10
rf` is offline Profile || Click here to Send rf` a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
geekmarine

chungy said:

It's still what it is: a generic American kids show that pushes moral lessons. (To take technician's words)

My point was the fact that it's well-done in and of itself is the reason it's so popular. Like I said, I think a lot of it is just people getting nostalgic for watching Saturday morning cartoons, and the fact that this one is well-done means it's very watchable compared to a lot of cartoons on TV today. It's not that it's an amazing show, it's just good at filling that niche.

Old Post 07-08-12 02:22
geekmarine is online now Profile || Click here to Send geekmarine a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

I don't really understand the 'brony' disgust. It's just geeks.

I've seen a few clips of it on YouTube, and a handful of funny gifs, and it looks like a pretty good quality Saturday morning cartoon. And given what I know about humans, I'm not at all surprised that some people have taken to obsessing about it. It's not any more childish than dressing up as Cloud from FF7, or anything to do with Star Wars, imo. (Though Doom is fine, because it's a Man's game for Manly Men.)

Tbqh, I'm more annoyed by the constant Family Guy references all over the God damned internet. That really grinds my gears.

Old Post 07-08-12 03:06
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Click here to Send schwerpunk a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

Revved said:
Goddamn, is this just sickening. It's one thing to watch a show that's neither in your gender or age range. It's another to try to build a real-life island and name it after a place in that show.

Honestly trying to figure out why anyone even cares about this, let alone getting in a huff over it. If a bunch of manchildren want to buy an island where they can pretend their horses are unicorns and pegasi, it effects the rest of us about as much as fags doin it in the butt in the privacy of their own homes. I guess haters really WILL just hate.

Old Post 07-08-12 03:11
Nomad is offline Profile || Click here to Send Nomad a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

schwerpunk said:
I don't really understand the 'brony' disgust. It's just geeks.
You haven't encountered the depravity of the community.

Nomad said:
If a bunch of manchildren want to buy an island where they can pretend their horses are unicorns and pegasi, it effects the rest of us about as much as fags doin it in the butt in the privacy of their own homes.
As long as they are fucking eachother in pony costumes and not real animals, I'm OK with it.

Last edited by Technician on 07-08-12 at 03:34

Old Post 07-08-12 03:27
Technician is online now Profile || Click here to Send Technician a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiTROACTiVE
Forum Regular

I was never a huge fan of MLP: FIM, but I'm interested in how this show became a huge meme and I was interested in the art and animation style as well. The fact that some one's trying to get money to build and actual island of Equestria is pretty insane to me. I'm not sure if this will work out or not, but we'll have to see because only time will tell.

Old Post 07-08-12 03:28
NiTROACTiVE is online now Profile || Click here to Send NiTROACTiVE a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Technician said:
You haven't encountered the depravity of the community.

As long as they are fucking eachother in pony costumes and not real animals, I'm OK with it.

I know about the 'clop' thing if that's what you're referring to, but there was 'clank' long before that. If a sexual attraction to made-up ponies is the worst they're up to, that's small, small potatoes.

Perhaps I've been lucky, but never have I been bothered by their behaviour, as it seems they mostly keep to their own websites.

NitroactiveStudios said:
I was never a huge fan of MLP: FIM, but I'm interested in how this show became a huge meme and I was interested in the art and animation style as well. The fact that some one's trying to get money to build and actual island of Equestria is pretty insane to me. I'm not sure if this will work out or not, but we'll have to see because only time will tell.
Come to it, it is a pretty fascinating development. I still remember the first time I started seeing people posting pictures of ponies from the show(on another gaming website I frequent); changing their signatures, having discussions about the characters, and that. I just assumed it was ironic, like all of the other fads.

I'm not even sure I could maintain that level of interest with a straight face. Like, I was really into Ren & Stimpy back when, but I couldn't imagine taking it to this level. Perhaps I'm just lacking imagination; I don't know. I'd be very interested in an educational documentary on the subject, because I just don't get it.

Old Post 07-08-12 04:14
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

Sodaholic said:

This "fandom" just went full retarded.

It's been that way for, oh I don't know. The past three months?

Old Post 07-08-12 04:20
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Click here to Send Clonehunter a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
I'myourtarget

As a brony, WTF IS THIS SHIT.
The last couple months I've begun to realize how fucking annoying other bronies are. I mostly get pissed off whenever I see them trying to tell other people to watch it. I'd say that's one of the main reasons we get so much hate; all the faggots shoving it down people's throats.

That said, there are still quite a few cool people in the community, and I really like the show.

schwerpunk said:

it seems they mostly keep to their own websites.

lol'd.

Old Post 07-08-12 07:21
I'myourtarget is offline Profile || Click here to Send I'myourtarget a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

What if it's just a scam, as Technician suggested at the beginning of this topic?

Old Post 07-08-12 10:19
printz is offline Profile || Click here to Send printz a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

TrueDude said:
I'd love to have the chance to actually walk around some of Doom's levels.

It's kinda possible already - http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/700580

Old Post 07-08-12 11:23
Memfis is offline Profile || Click here to Send Memfis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
schwerpunk

Don't forget Columbine high school! Err, maybe you should.

I'myourtarget: When I said bronies seem to mostly keep to their own websites, I meant with the stuff I could imagine being bothersome (e.g. clop, fanficking, speculation, etc.).

I don't know how I could feel annoyed just by someone having a pony avatar, or saying how much they enjoy a show (presumably because they enjoy it). If that were the case, I would be more annoyed by Community fans, as I see much more of that from them.

Though as I continue to read this thread, I'm starting to think that either I'm missing out on the bad bronies somehow, either because of luck, or because I rarely concern myself with things that aren't interesting to me. Like, I didn't even read what was linked to in the OP, because I just don't care to get bothered about what other people do with their money...

I'm not trying to take the high road, here, I just really don't understand where you guys are getting this negative input from, unless you're seeking it out. Is it Reddit?

Old Post 07-08-12 13:50
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

Heh, ponies.

Used to hate them pretty strongly but I eventually lost interest and just became indifferent, not giving a shit about them.

Old Post 07-08-12 17:13
Glaice is offline Profile || Click here to Send Glaice a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

A furry that doesn't like ponies? Now I think I've seen everything.

Old Post 07-08-12 18:09
Nomad is offline Profile || Click here to Send Nomad a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

Doesn't care != doesn't like

Old Post 07-08-12 19:14
Glaice is offline Profile || Click here to Send Glaice a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
geekmarine

I will say one thing... They're still only sitting at $41, meaning that you can't really blame the fandom here. It seems that it's really just these two guys. Now, if they were getting investors, then I'd be concerned.

Old Post 07-08-12 19:39
Danarchy
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

If you think this is ridiculous, you should see the money bronies throw around willingly on a daily basis. They gave $300,000 to John DeLancie to make a brony documentary. They've spent up to $700 on custom toys and $1,200 on custom plushes. Just watch one of the bronycon auctions or look up MLP merchendise on eBay. It's ridiculous.

That being said, I am a fan of the show, but bronies are by and large ridiculous autistic bastards. Going to cons, being fans of the fandom, crating their own 'ponysonas', thinking the fandom is some kind of social movement, spending LODS of EMONE on pony merch - it's ludicrous.

On the other hand, people who are mad at the show or those who watch it are also retarded. It's hilarious to run across anti-pony groups on steam and the like, and anti-pony troll attempts are about the most pathetic thing I've seen on the internet. Watching bronies and anti-ponies go at it is like watching fundies and militant atheists go at it. No matter who wins, everyone is a retarded aspie.

If there's one thing being a fan of the show has given me, it's a renewed interest in cartoons (and animation in general). That may sound dumb, but I'm glad it happened. If there's another thing being a fan of the show has given me, however, it's the fact that I no longer have to put any effort into trolling. I can now just mention a show I like and I'm guaranteed to get people buttflustered.

Nomad said:
A furry that doesn't like ponies? Now I think I've seen everything.

One of the biggest anti-pony factions are the assravaged furries. I don't know exactly what got them so riled up. Maybe they're angry that the bronies stole their "most autistically pathetic group on the internet" award or something. I don't know. All I know is that when FurAffinity put a pony reference in their banner, the whole furry community got so rumprustled that they went on a crusade for about a week. They also spend large wads of cash on commissioned art or ponies being mutilated. I'm not sure what's worse.

Old Post 07-08-12 20:04
Danarchy is offline Profile || Click here to Send Danarchy a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote