User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Bobby Prince - I still need your help [Video]
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:49.   
NoneeLlama

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/009/308/1331252260158.jpg

Old Post 07-16-12 17:58
NoneeLlama is offline Profile || Click here to Send NoneeLlama a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
nirv
Banned

NoneeLlama said:

Why does everyone disagree with me in text but then agree with me in a voice conversation? Why does that happen all the time?

Don't type it, Skype it.

Old Post 07-16-12 18:00
nirv is offline Profile || Click here to Send nirv a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GoatLord
I really should think before I post.

Nirv, I think you're just going to have to accept that while what you're requesting is technically legal, it falls into a funny little grey area and therefore is going to ultimately be perceived as illegal. Nothing that can really be done about that.

Old Post 07-16-12 18:03
GoatLord is offline Profile || Click here to Send GoatLord a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chungy

You seem to have missed the point of forums if you think you shouldn't be using text. (Also I watched the first ~30 seconds of the second video (can't stand for more), and you seriously think that lack of mic is unusual? Seriously?)

Well, just like you seemed to have missed the rule against warez/piracy.

Old Post 07-16-12 18:03
chungy is offline Profile || Click here to Send chungy a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DooMAD
Bitcoin IS a religion.

The main downside about Skype is that it would be a private conversation. That would mean no one else in the thread could laugh their asses off at your expense. I say keep going with the videos. Those are gold.

Old Post 07-16-12 18:07
DooMAD is offline Profile || Click here to Send DooMAD a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

I sent him another PM after he essentially flamed me for simply discussing piracy in that old thread. I let him know I'm sympathetic to his plight but still doesn't change the fact that you can't bug forum users for copyrighted material. Hopefully he cools down and sticks it out.

Old Post 07-16-12 18:10
Use3D is offline Profile || Click here to Send Use3D a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

GoatLord said:
Nirv, I think you're just going to have to accept that while what you're requesting is technically legal, it falls into a funny little grey area and therefore is going to ultimately be perceived as illegal. Nothing that can really be done about that.

It's not technically legal. If you do not have the right to distribute a product, you do not have the right to distribute it. Whether the person to who you are distributing it legally "owns" it or not does not factor in the argument.

In the same way, you can't send your Steam game list to GOG or GamersGate and tell them you want to download your Steam games from them instead.

Old Post 07-16-12 18:11
Gez is offline Profile || Click here to Send Gez a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GoatLord

Well, that's true. I guess what I'm saying is that he's just trying to replace something that he legally owned, but yeah, that doesn't really work in this society. I think the lesson here is, don't lose your shit, but of course that's already been pointed out.

Old Post 07-16-12 18:34
GoatLord is offline Profile || Click here to Send GoatLord a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
nirv
Banned

As I was looking for some possible photos of my Doom Music disc to prove I owned it, I came across this screenshot from 2005 that's eerily similar to what's going on right here right now:

http://home.comcast.net/~nirvgorill..._wow_forums.jpg

95% of people have an aversion to voice communication and it's really goddamned irrational and strange.

Old Post 07-16-12 18:35
nirv is offline Profile || Click here to Send nirv a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Use3D
Forum Legend

Yeah, some people aren't crazy about being verbally abused by a stranger. That may work on your girlfriend or mother but we're not buying it.

Old Post 07-16-12 18:37
Use3D is offline Profile || Click here to Send Use3D a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
nirv
Banned

Use3D said:
Yeah, some people aren't crazy about being verbally abused by a stranger. That may work on your girlfriend or mother but we're not buying it.

Why is it automatically abuse? How come nobody ever says that while speaking to me? Instead, they say things like:

I could post many quotes of people who have actually MANNED up, but they're all positive so you wouldn't believe it. (weirdo alert)

Old Post 07-16-12 18:39
buttspit

I don't know, all I see in that image are more people against you.

Old Post 07-16-12 18:41
buttspit is offline Profile || Click here to Send buttspit a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
nirv
Banned

buttspit said:

Yeah, in text. It's always like that. It's been like that since 1996. But people behave completely different 1 on 1 in a voice conversation and it happens every single time. That's why I can't take anything what you people say seriously in text and I encourage you to use voice communication. Welcome to 2012.

Old Post 07-16-12 18:43
GoatLord

nirv said:
As I was looking for some possible photos of my Doom Music disc to prove I owned it, I came across this screenshot from 2005 that's eerily similar to what's going on right here right now:

http://home.comcast.net/~nirvgorill..._wow_forums.jpg

95% of people have an aversion to voice communication and it's really goddamned irrational and strange.

It doesn't matter that you owned it, the legal way to handle things is to say "you can't have free access to copyrighted material, whether you previously owned it or not." I don't think you're going to win on this one. It may seem trivial because it's just a music disc, but there isn't some magical way to replace some things for free but not others (like cars, houses, priceless artifacts, rare coins, sports memorabilia, etc.).

Old Post 07-16-12 18:48
nirv
Banned

GoatLord said:

It doesn't matter that you owned it, the legal way to handle things is to say "you can't have free access to copyrighted material, whether you previously owned it or not." I don't think you're going to win on this one. It may seem trivial because it's just a music disc, but there isn't some magical way to replace some things for free but not others (like cars, houses, priceless artifacts, rare coins, sports memorabilia, etc.).

Well, if you lost a Doom-related item that's easily copyable 1:1 that you can't find anywhere else in the store or on the internet and I had it--even though I'm an introvert teetering on misanthrope--I'd send it to you for free, because I'm a human being and I've been in the situation before.

How could I sleep soundly knowing there's someone out there who's biting his nails off wondering if he'll ever find the disc again yet here I am right here with the CD just waiting to be put to a .img in IMGBURN?

You'd have to be a real piece of garbage, wouldn't you?

Old Post 07-16-12 18:55
nirv
Banned

buttspit said:

http://home.comcast.net/~nirvgorill...compliments.jpg

He actually called me, and that's what he said right after we hung up.

"you are what humanity needs"

That's pretty different than the bullfuck flying on these forums, isn't it?

Old Post 07-16-12 19:00
DoomUK
Forum Staple

All I can say is that you must be new here. Doomworld takes a firm stance against all aspects of piracy including the grey areas like you've brought up in the OP. Making a YT video about how much the mods suck isn't going to win any hearts and minds.

Myself, I would gladly give you what you're looking for if I had a copy of it. But these aren't the forums to ask for this stuff on. Accept it.

Old Post 07-16-12 19:08
DoomUK is offline Profile || Click here to Send DoomUK a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiuHaka

@nirv
well, people would have to just take your word for it. Showing dates that you ripped the music isn't exactly a receipt of purchase. Also, your aggressive attitude towards people, no matter how crappy their response to you is, doesn't make anyone want to help you and also might explain why you have such a large problem with people being crappy to you. Maybe I just don't remember because I didn't let it bother me but I can't think of a time when someone here left a crappy response towards me. At this point i'll be surprised if anyone here does help you because you don't seem very approachable in any sense of the word. You are scaring away mean and friendly people alike.

Old Post 07-16-12 19:31
NiuHaka is offline Profile || Click here to Send NiuHaka a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vordakk
Banned

nirv said:
I think it's time to find a new website to discuss Doom...

I'm just curious. If it's time to find a new website, why are you still posting here?

Dude, the forum rules haven't changed in a while. You could have perused them before signing up. "No warez" - simple as that. The mods and admins merely enforce rules that already exist. There's no shadowy conspiracy going on here. Just a mod or admin doing his job.

Old Post 07-16-12 19:34
Vordakk is offline Profile || Click here to Send Vordakk a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
nirv
Banned

Vordakk said:

I'm just curious. If it's time to find a new website, why are you still posting here?

Dude, the forum rules haven't changed in a while. You could have perused them before signing up. "No warez" - simple as that. The mods and admins merely enforce rules that already exist. There's no shadowy conspiracy going on here. Just a mod or admin doing his job.

It isn't warez--I BOUGHT the CD. What's wrong with you?

Old Post 07-16-12 19:34
DooMAD
Bitcoin IS a religion.

http://www.teamhellspawn.com/nirv.png

Old Post 07-16-12 19:36
DooMAD is offline Profile || Click here to Send DooMAD a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GoatLord

nirv said:

Well, if you lost a Doom-related item that's easily copyable 1:1 that you can't find anywhere else in the store or on the internet and I had it--even though I'm an introvert teetering on misanthrope--I'd send it to you for free, because I'm a human being and I've been in the situation before.

How could I sleep soundly knowing there's someone out there who's biting his nails off wondering if he'll ever find the disc again yet here I am right here with the CD just waiting to be put to a .img in IMGBURN?

You'd have to be a real piece of garbage, wouldn't you?

Look dude, your plight is something I sympathize with. I lost a poster of the "Doom" box art long ago, and wish I could have it replaced. It's not easy to find that now. But you know what? I'm just gonna live with it. I think you may have to do the same thing here.

Old Post 07-16-12 19:41
BloodyAcid

nirv said:

What's wrong with you?

What's wrong with YOU? And why are you pulling material from other games to prove that "you're right?" Doom is Doom and that other shit is that other shit.

Also, "welcome" to Doomworld.

Old Post 07-16-12 19:42
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Click here to Send BloodyAcid a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chungy

nirv said:
Yeah, in text. It's always like that. It's been like that since 1996. But people behave completely different 1 on 1 in a voice conversation and it happens every single time. That's why I can't take anything what you people say seriously in text and I encourage you to use voice communication. Welcome to 2012.

I bet you were saying "Welcome to 1996." back then, too. Face it, voice communication is extremely inconvenient and the world isn't going to change to how you want it.

And just as an example of the inconvenience: imagine if every forum post was a .mp3 recording or whatnot. Do you really think it'd be fun listening to hours of banter without any easy way to skim or search them? I certainly don't. Text is also far easier to revise your posts before you edit, get your thoughts into a clear and concise representation.

Old Post 07-16-12 19:57
chungy is offline Profile || Click here to Send chungy a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Hi, welcome to Doomworld! We advise all new users to read the F.A.Q. to answer issues such as "one of you bitches had better send me a free copy of Doom" and "screw you stupid Nazi mods trying to tell me what to do".

Enjoy your stay!

Old Post 07-16-12 19:58
esselfortium is online now Profile || Click here to Send esselfortium a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
nirv
Banned

chungy said:

I bet you were saying "Welcome to 1996." back then, too. Face it, voice communication is extremely inconvenient and the world isn't going to change to how you want it.

And just as an example of the inconvenience: imagine if every forum post was a .mp3 recording or whatnot. Do you really think it'd be fun listening to hours of banter without any easy way to skim or search them? I certainly don't. Text is also far easier to revise your posts before you edit, get your thoughts into a clear and concise representation.

Uhh, cell phones are flying off the shelf and Skype is more popular than ever. Almost every PC game today has built-in voice chat. Are you sure you want to tango with me? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvKeO9Q6CII

Old Post 07-16-12 19:58
nirv
Banned

Just found these while I was looking for my Doom Music pictures:

http://home.comcast.net/~nirvgorill...doom_card-1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~nirvgorill...doom_card-2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~nirvgorill...doom_card-3.jpg

So old.

Old Post 07-16-12 20:04
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Okay, so does this thread even have a topic or what

Old Post 07-16-12 20:07
esselfortium is online now Profile || Click here to Send esselfortium a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

People can read a lot faster than they can talk, so it's faster to read text than to listen to messages. Plain old text also gets rid of the problem of accent. There are many people here for whom English is not a native language, if you can imagine that! There are sounds in the English language that do not exist in others, and vice-versa, and if you add the meter of the language (with unstressed syllables that are barely pronounced) and the Great Vowel Shift that divorced spelling from pronunciation, it is a lot harder for a non-native English speaker to recognize the words being spoken.

And even among English speakers, the varieties in local accents can be enough to make communication difficult.

nirv said:
Uhh, cell phones are flying off the shelf and Skype is more popular than ever. Almost every PC game today has built-in voice chat. Are you sure you want to tango with me? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvKeO9Q6CII

Twitter, tumblr, facebook, etc. are also more popular than ever. They're primarily text-based, secondarily image-based. It doesn't mean shit.

Old Post 07-16-12 20:12
Gez is offline Profile || Click here to Send Gez a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
nirv
Banned

Twitter, tumblr, facebook, etc. are also more popular than ever. They're primarily text-based, secondarily image-based. It doesn't mean shit. [/B]

Why are you making me bust out Neil deGrasse Tyson? Why? Why do I have to educate you from the ground up?

Watch the first three minutes of this interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ulkX-DA9BM

He's right. He is. Don't deny it.

Old Post 07-16-12 20:19