User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > I need help in choosing a knife...
The knife better for self-defense is...
Victorinox Sentinel plain edge
Victorinox Sentinel serrated edge
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:38.   
[PROTOTYPE]
Well it's obvious I haven't learned anything.

I promise this is my last thread about knives. But I've really come to a point at which I can't make a choice without some external output.

So here's the deal. A friend asked me to find him a knife that would be both reliable and useful in self-defense, while also having some value to it.

I eventually settled on the Victorinox Sentinel, as I had owned some of their liner-locks before and thus knew they were good. But I can't decide whether I should go with the plain edge version or the serrated edge version.

Here's the plain edge version: http://www.google.ro/imgres?q=victo...bwrIGADQ&zoom=1

And the serrated edge version: http://www.google.ro/imgres?q=victo...29,r:5,s:0,i:82

So, here's what I think. The plain edge version has a pointy tip, which makes it (potentially?) good for stabbing, but since the rest of the edge is plain, it doesn't quite do a lot of cutting damage. The serrated version on the other hand, does shitloads of damage when cutting, but it has a rounded tip, as you can see in the photos. And yes, I am talking about the damage inflicted on the human flesh.

So, it eventually goes down to whether cutting or stabbing is better in self-defense. My friend is also interested in the tip of the knife not breaking after the first fall on the ground, the knife being... tough in the other words.

And before you storm me with accusations of excessive violence, knife obsession, ect, ect, allow me to tell you what Victorinox has to say about these lockblades on their site:

"Having proved their reliability in combat situations and rescue operations, the sturdy pocket tools have a locking mechanism for the blade and screwdrivers."

Note the "combat situations" part. Combine it with the fact that they have locking mechanisms and 3 inch+ blades, which makes them ideal for actual combat.

So... just expose your opinion here. Your help will do immense good to me... erm, my friend, I mean.

Old Post 08-18-12 16:28
[PROTOTYPE] is offline Profile || Click here to Send [PROTOTYPE] a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

[PROTOTYPE] said:
I promise this is my last thread about knives

That's what you said last time.

It's not your love of knives that bothers me so much, it's your fascination with how well they cut flesh and how effective they might be as weapons.

Last edited by DoomUK on 08-18-12 at 16:43

Old Post 08-18-12 16:34
DoomUK is offline Profile || Click here to Send DoomUK a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Nomad
Not dumb enough to get a custom title

Those both look wimpy.

Old Post 08-18-12 16:35
Nomad is offline Profile || Click here to Send Nomad a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
[PROTOTYPE]
Well it's obvious I haven't learned anything.

DoomUK said:

That's what you said last time.

It's not your love of knives that bothers me so much, it's your fascination with how well they cut flesh and how effective they might be as weapons.

No, I did not... "I promise you this is my last post..."

That was my last post, and this is my last thread. So tell me what ya think! Serrated or not?

No, man, how effective they might be as !self-defense! weapons.

Nomad said:
Those both look wimpy.

I don't, I mean he doesn't need them to look threatening, he just wants them to... do the job.

Old Post 08-18-12 16:48
[PROTOTYPE] is offline Profile || Click here to Send [PROTOTYPE] a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dutch Doomer
Forum Staple

Buy something thats ready to go, not one you have to unfold before hand.

Old Post 08-18-12 16:52
Dutch Doomer is offline Profile || Click here to Send Dutch Doomer a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote