User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > unit 731 doom / wolfenstein mod
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43.   
Proktor87
Green Marine

Last edited by Proktor87 on 10-27-12 at 23:10

Old Post 10-27-12 05:42
Proktor87 is offline Profile || Click here to Send Proktor87 a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doomguy 2000
Banned

I believe that this has been rejected by the archive maintainer.

REJECTS

Old Post 10-27-12 07:06
Doomguy 2000 is offline Profile || Click here to Send Doomguy 2000 a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Proktor87
Green Marine

Yeah it was a while ago, because the first time I uploaded it, I included the wrong files. But I've tried a couple more times the same way as when I got the file up recently before my new update and its not working. Do they not allow you to repost updates?
UPDATE:
Nevermind what I said, they applied my update to the old file.

Last edited by Proktor87 on 10-27-12 at 07:55

Old Post 10-27-12 07:09
Proktor87 is offline Profile || Click here to Send Proktor87 a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Du Mhan Yhu

It feels too plain.. The monochrome seems sorta boring too.

Old Post 10-27-12 07:10
Du Mhan Yhu is offline Profile || Click here to Send Du Mhan Yhu a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

Looks like a hacky black and white doom version with flat and boring levels coupled with MSpaint jobs, ugly text, illogical reverb & underwater sounds, custom sprites using textures (???), ear-piercing screams for no good reason and Doom.exe.

Props for the hardwork done on it, not impressed by the footage.

Old Post 10-27-12 07:11
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Click here to Send BloodyAcid a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Proktor87
Green Marine

The b/w theme fits the time period I think. Call it what you want. I love how since Brutal doom came out, nobody likes hardly any mods any more. But yet if this were from the 90's you all would probably love it.
The underwater sounds you speak of if you heard from the youtube video are from a compressor that I used so my pc beeps wouldn't bleed over the recorded audio track. It doesn't sound like that in-game.

Old Post 10-27-12 07:14
Pottus
Forum Regular

This is just so stupid, I honestly played for 3 minutes as a matter of fact, it took longer to read through the thread download and reply than what I played.

Old Post 10-27-12 07:19
Pottus is offline Profile || Click here to Send Pottus a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Proktor87
Green Marine

Fair enough. I'll keep making more stuff that I love. It isn't always for everyone, but I'm enjoying it and that's what matters to me. Honestly I have played FAR worse than what I made. Most people wouldn't even take the time to re-color even quarter of the files from Doom.
Took me a month to do this which to some that might be short, but I'm a noob and I think this is a good first mod to open up with.

Old Post 10-27-12 07:26
Pottus
Forum Regular

Well, if you enjoy it it's all good man =)

Old Post 10-27-12 07:43
Pottus is offline Profile || Click here to Send Pottus a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Proktor87
Green Marine

Rate away people it's now up under latest files... Just don't be too harsh about it

Old Post 10-27-12 07:48
WildWeasel
Resident Castlevania Super-Fanboy

You really should have spent a lot more time on it. For an up-and-coming modder, one month isn't nearly enough. Also, have you looked at any tutorials in relation to Decorate coding (you said this was for ZDoom, right?) or any guides to map detailing? Perhaps you should take some time to learn the basics of gun-making. You've got the patience to get into mod-making in the first place, and you've obviously got the determination. If you could spend some time following that up with a desire to learn, you could make something of yourself.

Old Post 10-27-12 08:42
WildWeasel is offline Profile || Click here to Send WildWeasel a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Proktor87
Green Marine

Thanks Wild weasel. The only gun I did myself was the modified chaingun which is now a machine gun. I think it looks ok, not anything special, but it looks decent. What more work into it would you like me to do? I'm open for suggestions. And I will definitely put more in if needed. I think people don't get this because it's not blow shit out of the water and run up crazy steps doom. It's more like Wolfenstein. Going room by room. I wanted to put more focus on the experimental rooms and the grotesque atmosphere than maybe the maps themselves. And I really wanted to make this look more a base floor by floor (again like Wolfenstein). Perhaps I should pass this over to Wolfers as well?

Old Post 10-27-12 08:51
Proktor87
Green Marine

As for the decorate stuff, I do know a little bit. The blood splatters on the wall you see on the pic were from the first version where when you shot an enemy blood would fly (I replaced the ammo clip with my blood and directed it towards the wall. This had a nasty floating following blood effect so I scrapped that. The white pixels in the pic are snow falling down. Which replaced the health potions and i set them to that you can't pick them up. Seeing as I can't get into the exe other than with whacked 2, and can't add anything on whacked 2 and the doom source code is only for linux, I can't make new textures I can only replace. I've tried making new images in XWE but do not know if I can go further from there. I can't get dehacked to run even with dosbox either. The snow looks better in the game and on the video than in the pic. Which is why I'm going to remove that pic now. Mostly what I did for my blood was use the wall texture with blood and cut that out and morphed it during each sprite. I did use some BJ sprites and hanging corpse sprites and drew my own stuff into it. I did mostly use textures and messed with em my own way, but I drew some things as well.
I'll take a look at those tutorials. Thanks.

Last edited by Proktor87 on 10-27-12 at 10:04

Old Post 10-27-12 09:19
BloodyAcid

Proktor87 said:
The b/w theme fits the time period I think. Call it what you want.
This makes it so that you need something that stands out ALOT to make it work in a monochromatic theme.

Proktor87 said:
I love how since Brutal doom came out, nobody likes hardly any mods any more.
LOL. That's a nice one. I'm in tears now~~

Proktor87 said:
But yet if this were from the 90's you all would probably love it.
Not even the appreciated maps back in the 90's were flat and boring with flat corridors. You REALLY need to work on your mapping skills. If you were trying to emulate something more "realistic," especially in a black and white theme, you'd need super strong lighting for atmosphere since all blood/special textures are washed out.

Proktor87 said:
The underwater sounds you speak of if you heard from the youtube video are from a compressor that I used so my pc beeps wouldn't bleed over the recorded audio track. It doesn't sound like that in-game.
Mmkay then, my oversight here.

Old Post 10-27-12 20:35
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Click here to Send BloodyAcid a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Proktor87
Green Marine

It seems doomworld is just run so assholes can insult and not criticize work. ill take this elsewhere. Next time give a true critique instead of just being douchebags. shove that WAD up your ass

Old Post 10-27-12 22:38
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Whoa man, slow your roll. Tell you what, I'll play this myself and give you my honest opinion.

Old Post 10-27-12 22:43
Obsidian is offline Profile || Click here to Send Obsidian a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Proktor87
Green Marine

Ok. about time. But ive already requested this forum be deleted due to my frustration.

Old Post 10-27-12 22:47
Phml
Forum Staple

This whole forum? Oh well. I'll miss you, Doomworld. It has been a good run.

Old Post 10-27-12 22:49
Phml is online now Profile || Click here to Send Phml a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Proktor87
Green Marine

I meant this thread. you know what i meant

Old Post 10-27-12 22:50
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Argh, I don't have Doom 1! I'll try give as much feedback as I can based on what I've seen.

* The map design looks somewhat plain. Try make things relatively non-linear to keep the player interested. It'd be a good idea to make some regular Doom maps before you undertake a project of such magnitude.

* The custom monsters need a bit of work. The one in the second shot doesn't look overly pleasing to the eye, although the next one looks kind of interesting. Look for tutorials on the internet and talk to some of the Doomworld members that make custom monsters(Scalliano comes to mind) to get some tips.

That's about all the feedback I can give. Hopefully it helps.

Old Post 10-27-12 23:01
Obsidian is offline Profile || Click here to Send Obsidian a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Proktor87 said:
Ok. about time. But ive already requested this forum be deleted due to my frustration.

Alright, I've received Linguica's approval and am now commencing the process of deleting Doomworld.

Old Post 10-27-12 23:09
esselfortium is offline Profile || Click here to Send esselfortium a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Pottus
Forum Regular

Proktor87 said:
It seems doomworld is just run so assholes can insult and not criticize work. ill take this elsewhere. Next time give a true critique instead of just being douchebags. shove that WAD up your ass

I think everyone speaks their mind here pretty openly, any insults should really be taken as criticism.

Old Post 10-27-12 23:16
BloodyAcid

Proktor87 said:
I don't see how I insulted you in my last reply. All I sense is some sarcasm about BD and then proceeded to tell you what's wrong with your maps and some tips to make monochromatic stuff stand out.

Next time give a true critique instead of just being douchebags. shove that WAD up your ass
lol wut the fuck
can't take any criticism and blanked your first post. smart.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16967
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkbRZFmEDH4

Last edited by BloodyAcid on 10-27-12 at 23:44

Old Post 10-27-12 23:39
Pottus
Forum Regular

I can almost see this turning into the infamous Inquisitor thread all over again.

Old Post 10-27-12 23:53
Doomguy 2000
Banned

Well I claimed this wad for a future review. But yeah the only thing interesting was the black and white theme. Still the wad has overall sucked as it was too easy with poor map design.

Old Post 10-28-12 01:26
Doomguy 2000 is offline Profile || Click here to Send Doomguy 2000 a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

People at Doomcenter, ZDaemon, Zandronum and ZDoom will be just as critical so what's the point?

Man up and learn to take criticism and not have a shitfit because someone is not complementing / asskissing your work. I have my own set of maps with lower scores but I don't freak out over low scores or scorned over something, I learn from the mistakes so I don't do them again.

Old Post 10-28-12 01:33
Glaice is offline Profile || Click here to Send Glaice a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Pottus
Forum Regular

Mr. Chris said:
People at Doomcenter, ZDaemon, Zandronum and ZDoom will be just as critical so what's the point?

Man up and learn to take criticism and not have a shitfit because someone is not complementing / asskissing your work. I have my own set of maps with lower scores but I don't freak out over low scores or scorned over something, I learn from the mistakes so I don't do them again.

That is pretty well put Mr. Chris, especially with Doom editing if you don't fail you will never succeed. Success isn't measured from one good release or one bad one but the culmination of many with that experience you will learn what works and what doesn't. As a matter of fact I would rather hear negative comments than positive ones since it is far more difficult to identify flaws without the observations of someone from the outside.

Old Post 10-28-12 02:20
Remiel

Proktor87 said:
Next time give a true critique instead of just being douchebags.
Let's see yours, then

Old Post 10-28-12 04:24
Remiel is offline Profile || Click here to Send Remiel a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
buttspit

I don't understand.

This guy started off with a good attitude and patience to everyone. Then it only took one inert post to change all that and take things in the wrong direction?

Old Post 10-28-12 04:29
buttspit is offline Profile || Click here to Send buttspit a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Krispy

Inb4 Post hell/locked thread

This stuff confuses me. Moderate skill with DECORATE and sprites but this bad at level design? Something doesn't add up. Anyway lol he's raging!

Old Post 10-28-12 04:56
Krispy is offline Profile || Click here to Send Krispy a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote