User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > In case Hobbs doesn't show up...
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:01.   
Obsidian

I'm going to see if I can churn out a few articles for some of the wads in the nomination thread. Who knows, I might get lucky. :P

----------------------------------------------------------------------

For Shits and Giggles.

Call of Dooty: Green Ops
Chubz

Image.

The Mockaward was almost brought back for this one, that's how good this is. With voice acting, achievements, blatant product placement and regenerating health, E1M2 will never be the same: I'm not kidding, there's a KFC ad in the Nuclear Plant. There's also a nifty Invasion mode for those hungering after proper gameplay, as well as 4 different versions of the game itself: all it needs is a $40 expansion pack and Doom as we know it is changed forever. Play it now before you have to open your wallet for it.

I don't really think the Mockaward should be brought back after only a one-year hiatus, but I reckon Call of Dooty could be one of the side articles(like Happy Time Circus and Impossible: A New Reality).

Old Post 12-10-12 21:48
Obsidian is online now Profile || Click here to Send Obsidian a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

It seems to me you're desperate for some recognition.

Old Post 12-10-12 22:22
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Click here to Send BloodyAcid a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

BloodyAcid said:
It seems to me you're desperate for some recognition.

Not really. Well, sort of. X-D Either way I don't want the Cacowards to flop, so I'll do my best to help.

Old Post 12-10-12 23:16
Obsidian is online now Profile || Click here to Send Obsidian a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MajorRawne

We should definitely do something to honour Call of Dooty but we shouldn't give it a Mockaward. That's like taking a rare and precious prize, then shoving it up Doomworld's collective rear end and shouting "DAMN IT JIM, I'LL DEGRADE YOUR ACHIEVEMENT IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO."

Call of Dooty perfectly ridicules some (nowhere near all) of the problems with today's shooters. It is made clear that you don't play it to have fun, you play it because it's telling you some truths about Doom's distant, bastard, wretched offspring.

A Mockaward would say something like this: "Congratulations, you produced a shitty, HOM-filled cliche-fest showcasing humour with very limited appeal, which took half an hour to download on a broadband connection because you bloated it with illegal crap."

Some people would say that describes Call of Dooty. I say no, it's a masterpiece of insightful wit which deserves special recognition. It doesn't need sending to that big old loony bin in the land of FAIL.

Old Post 12-10-12 23:23
MajorRawne is offline Profile || Click here to Send MajorRawne a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

MajorRawne said:
We should definitely do something to honour Call of Dooty but we shouldn't give it a Mockaward. That's like taking a rare and precious prize, then shoving it up Doomworld's collective rear end and shouting "DAMN IT JIM, I'LL DEGRADE YOUR ACHIEVEMENT IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO."

Call of Dooty perfectly ridicules some (nowhere near all) of the problems with today's shooters. It is made clear that you don't play it to have fun, you play it because it's telling you some truths about Doom's distant, bastard, wretched offspring.

A Mockaward would say something like this: "Congratulations, you produced a shitty, HOM-filled cliche-fest showcasing humour with very limited appeal, which took half an hour to download on a broadband connection because you bloated it with illegal crap."

Some people would say that describes Call of Dooty. I say no, it's a masterpiece of insightful wit which deserves special recognition. It doesn't need sending to that big old loony bin in the land of FAIL.

You are sort of generalizing the Mockaward a bit: the thing was given to Kama Sutra a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't a "shitty, HOM-filled cliche-fest". The meaning of the Mockaward is in it's title: it is simply poking fun at absurdities and presenting humourous situations, much like it's namesake Mockery. At least that's how I look at it.

Old Post 12-10-12 23:30
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Mockawards are supposed to be given to humorous mods. "The joke is that it sucks!" isn't humorous, it's lazy and stupid.

Old Post 12-11-12 00:03
Gez is offline Profile || Click here to Send Gez a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tarnsman
Forum Regular

Gez said:
Mockawards are supposed to be given to humorous mods. "The joke is that it sucks!" isn't humorous, it's lazy and stupid.

This.

Old Post 12-11-12 00:05
Tarnsman is offline Profile || Click here to Send Tarnsman a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Graf Zahl
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Hm... I think some people (yes, you, MajorRawne!) here do not really understand what the Mockaward is supposed to be.

For me it should be given to a mod that makes me genuinely laugh - at least smile.

In that regard, Call of Dooty is well deserving. Playing through that thing had me on the floor laughing, the joke was so good, brilliant in fact. It was the most ingenious bit of gaming related humor I have seen in a long, long time and not one of the previous Mockaward winners came even close.

So, if that's not deserving, I really don't know what would. Then that particular award should be discontinued.

If you want a 'bad gameplay' jokewad that falls flat and fails to deliver the fun completely, check out DO-TIMS. It exemplifies everything a jokewad should not(!) do. And not coincidentally it was a serious contender for the Worst WAD award, only to be beaten by something even worse, namely 'Nazi Auferstehung'.

Old Post 12-11-12 00:38
Graf Zahl is offline Profile || Click here to Send Graf Zahl a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
VylePhinder
Banned

Gez said:

Exactly

Old Post 12-11-12 00:42
VylePhinder is offline Profile || Click here to Send VylePhinder a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
buttspit

MajorRawne said:

I think you're mixing up the Worst Wad award.

Old Post 12-11-12 00:58
buttspit is offline Profile || Click here to Send buttspit a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
VylePhinder
Banned

In my opinion, the best jokewads have excellent gameplay. Mandrill Ass Project is a great example of this.

Old Post 12-11-12 01:11
VylePhinder is offline Profile || Click here to Send VylePhinder a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scalliano
This door is opened elsewhere...

VylePhinder said:
In my opinion, the best jokewads have excellent gameplay. Mandrill Ass Project is a great example of this.

CIF3, too. Granted, it was as tough as a diamond anvil, but it somehow managed to remain balanced in the face of overwhelming absurdity.

Old Post 12-11-12 01:25
scalliano is offline Profile || Click here to Send scalliano a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

Another one, this one for Beyond Reality.

Regular Cacoward.

Beyond Reality
jack101

Less retarded image.

Wads with different themes have been a constant feature of the Doom mapping community for a while now. 1024 maps, speedmaps, community projects, you name it. But can you name any themes with flying demonic crates and living shish kebabs?

I didn't think so. Beyond Reality has single-handedly created it's own niche in the Doom community: it isn't creepy, it isn't punishingly hard, it's just plain zany. The thing that seperates this from it's inferior counterparts is the balance of the overall wad: there's still plenty of Doom in there, and the player is never overwhelmed visually or mentally. Gameplay is balanced nicely, acommodating the influx of crazy monsters that this wad brings to the table: think walking barrels and miniature Demons. If that doesn't float your boat, there's a slew of brilliantly made levels to hold all this craziness. From floating islands made of crates to frozen wastelands, there's enough variety to cater to the most jaded of tastes.

I guess I've been dodging a little fact: yes, this is for ZDoom. Don't let that put you off though, the wad holds itself up considerately well without drowning you in ZDoom effects. I haven't seen ZDoom be used in such an imaginative way in a long time, and missing out on playing this wad is something I wouldn't recommend. Get psyched!

I hope I'm doing this right.

Last edited by Obsidian on 12-11-12 at 03:39

Old Post 12-11-12 03:25
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

I'm not sure what the point of any of this is, why it's in WADs & Mods, or who its intended audience is, but I hope never to see the day that this picture is beside a real Cacoward article.

Old Post 12-11-12 03:31
esselfortium is offline Profile || Click here to Send esselfortium a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

esselfortium said:
I'm not sure what the point of any of this is, why it's in WADs & Mods, or who its intended audience is, but I hope never to see the day that this picture is beside a real Cacoward article.

Very good point. X-D I was trying to get a decent screenshot and I got photobombed. I'll use one of Blackfish's ones from the latest Newstuff.

As for the point, I'm trying to run up an article or two in case they can be used for the Cacowards. I know it's probably superflous and somewhat pathetic, but if it ends up helping I'm fine with it.

Old Post 12-11-12 03:37
Tarnsman
Forum Regular

Obsidian said:
yes, this is for ZDoom. Don't let that put you off though, the wad holds itself up considerately well without drowning you in ZDoom effects.

You might as well put a disclaimer in front of all the other "Obsidian-wards" that says, "This WAD isn't shit," because it would be just redundant as, "This WAD is great and deserves an award but just in case you have any trepidations, let me remind you that it is great and deserves an award,"

But more importantly; I take umbrage at the notion that Beyond Reality doesn't drown you in Zdoom features. Yes it does. Skyboxes, slopes, jumping, scripting, decorate stuff everywhere. Yeah it's not shitty particle fountains everywhere but there isn't a single place you can go in any Beyond Reality map where you wouldn't need Zdoom.

Old Post 12-11-12 03:50
Tarnsman is offline Profile || Click here to Send Tarnsman a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

"Obsidian-wards"? Meh, I feel kinda sad now: I'm not trying to run the Cacowards, I'm just trying to help. If you think you can write them better, that's fine by me: it'd be great as a matter of fact. Bear in mind I'm not the greatest of writers. :/

And personally I never felt that overwhelmed by ZDoom effects, but that might be just me. Remember that some of those effects were duplicated way before ZDoom: STRAIN had unique monsters before ZDoom came along, and the 666/667 tags were somewhat an early form of scripting. Some maps make ZDoom effects extremely prominent, but I never got that feeling in Beyond Reality. Like I said, that might be just me.

Old Post 12-11-12 04:01
VylePhinder
Banned

Tarnsman, dude, that's not fair, c'mon. At least he's trying to help. What are you doing in a time when the community needs to band together (like so many corny Christmas tales of yore!)

Old Post 12-11-12 04:32
Tarnsman
Forum Regular

VylePhinder said:
Tarnsman, dude, that's not fair, c'mon. At least he's trying to help. What are you doing in a time when the community needs to band together (like so many corny Christmas tales of yore!)

Mapping.

Furthermore, I was unaware that awards being delayed (with a back up plan already put together involving three very qualified candidates being suggested to possibly fill in) constituted a crisis requiring the community to band together. But now I know. Wars? Mass Famine? Genocide? Natural Disasters? All insignificant next to the fact that the Cacowards might not come out for a couple of weeks.

Old Post 12-11-12 04:37
VylePhinder
Banned

I thought it was obvious that I was being facetious...

Old Post 12-11-12 05:30
esselfortium

I think Tarnsman may have... also been facetious?

Old Post 12-11-12 06:09
esselfortium is offline Profile || Click here to Send esselfortium a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Unholypimpin

Unfortunately despite having nicely detailed maps and balanced gameplay, beyond reality is infact a jokewad so idk if it could run for a standard cacoward without bending or changing some rules?

I think jokewads should have a different classification other than just being shittyly detailed maps that arnt funny and have horrible gameplay and balance.

I think a jokewad should be classified as a map or wad that is not serious in nature and has some elements that are amusing like satire,parody and or sarcasm.

Imo a jokewad shouldnt be considered a bad thing and should be separated from the group of maps like troll maps or crapwads that are made bad on purpose, or are called jokewads to hide the fact that the author fails to make maps that are balanced and detailed.

Last edited by Unholypimpin on 12-11-12 at 06:23

Old Post 12-11-12 06:16
Unholypimpin is offline Profile || Click here to Send Unholypimpin a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

Alwaysdoomed said:
Unfortunately despite having nicely detailed maps and balanced gameplay, beyond reality is infact a jokewad so idk if it could run for a standard cacoward without bending or changing some rules?

I don't think it's a jokewad, but then again I could be wrong. I think what we have here is a wad with the same combination as the Mandrill Ass Project: is has non-serious tendancies while still being a solid gaming experience. Just because it's funny it doesn't mean it can't win a regular Cacoward.

Old Post 12-11-12 06:20
Unholypimpin

i edited my last post. I think there should be 2 different cacowards one for serious maps and others for nonserious/jokewad if you wanna call it that.

And perhaps a cacoward for being revolutionary in design or atmosphere and or gameplay.

And of course all troll/crapwads should get absolutely no recognition and not even get to run for a mokaward.

Old Post 12-11-12 06:25
Unholypimpin is offline Profile || Click here to Send Unholypimpin a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
ler

So, instead of trying to figure out what's a joke and what's not, why don't we do what we did the last 9 years and pick 10 awesome wads. It'd be 10 wads that are representative of the best offerings this year. In that case, Beyond Reality most DEFINITELY deserves it with its insane enemies and great map design and aesthetic. Is it funny? Yes. If you think that means it doesn't have serious gameplay, you are totally stupid. Completely and totally stupid.

Seriously, all the Cacowards needs is 10 good wads, a few honorable mentions, Best Multi, Mordeth Award, 2 other silly awards (I think we can give Mockaward to Call of Dooty very safely this year) and a Best Mapper.

Old Post 12-11-12 11:22
ler is offline Profile || Click here to Send ler a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

Gez said:

I disagree. MOCK2 certainly wasn't lazy, it was full of creativity and was rather clever too IMO. Same goes for "This SUXX", "Moderator's Nightmare" and many others.

Old Post 12-11-12 14:01
Memfis is offline Profile || Click here to Send Memfis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Mockawards should be given without community's input; humour is subjective.

Old Post 12-11-12 14:40
printz is offline Profile || Click here to Send printz a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MajorRawne

With regard to previous comments, I admit my comments were pretty black-and-white, but I really don't like wads that showcase what is bad about Doom or humanity in general. I KNOW what's wrong with bad maps or people's attitudes, I don't need a Doom wad telling me about it, but this is just my subjective opinion, it's not like I am calling for it to become Doomworld canon.

If there is a Mockaward every year then in theory, one wad will win it even if it is merely the best of a mediocre bunch, and it could encourage people to create stuff that ends up polluting the archives. Should mediocre maps, or ones with limited appeal, be in with a shot?

Old Post 12-11-12 19:45
MajorRawne is offline Profile || Click here to Send MajorRawne a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

MajorRawne said:
With regard to previous comments, I admit my comments were pretty black-and-white, but I really don't like wads that showcase what is bad about Doom or humanity in general. I KNOW what's wrong with bad maps or people's attitudes, I don't need a Doom wad telling me about it, but this is just my subjective opinion, it's not like I am calling for it to become Doomworld canon.

If there is a Mockaward every year then in theory, one wad will win it even if it is merely the best of a mediocre bunch, and it could encourage people to create stuff that ends up polluting the archives. Should mediocre maps, or ones with limited appeal, be in with a shot?

That's why the Mockaward was removed: the quality of jokewads was slowly decreasing over the years until they weren't funny at all anymore. Scuba Steve said in the 2009 Mockaward that Killing Adventure almost got the Worst Wad award, that's how bad it was getting. The exceptions of course are Turbocharged ARCADE! and more recently Call of Dooty. It's quite an interesting dilemma.

Old Post 12-11-12 20:50
esselfortium

So this has turned into another discussion about what should or shouldn't qualify for a cacoward. Do we really need yet another thread ongoing at the same time about basically the same thing?

Old Post 12-11-12 21:06