User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Why can't I respawn in Gzdoom!?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09.   
Dialgaofpower
Warming Up

When you die in doom, you get to respawn, right, well, in GZdoom, You have no choice but to start the wad over, even when no respawn is off! Why's it gotta be like that!? I wanna retry the level, dangit! What's worse is that I HAVE to use GZdoom if I want to have dynamic lights on! THAT'S BULLCRAP!

Old Post 01-26-13 16:50
Dialgaofpower is offline Profile || Click here to Send Dialgaofpower a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

What the fuck are you attempting to mean?

If you die in single-player, you've got to restart the level from scratch, with a "pistol start". If you die in multi-player, you respawn with a pistol start but the level isn't reset.

It's the same in ZDoom and GZDoom, except that when you die, it reloads the last save made in the level instead (provided there is one) instead of a pistol start; and by default it makes autosaves whenever you enter a level so in practice you don't get to do pistol starts. (Something a lot of people have complained about for years, by the way.)

Old Post 01-26-13 16:59
Gez is offline Profile || Click here to Send Gez a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Blue Shadow

So, if you want your pistol start "feature" in (G)ZDoom, you need to disable autosaving and not manually save the game yourself. Disabling autosave can be done from the miscellaneous options menu.

Old Post 01-26-13 17:12
Blue Shadow is offline Profile || Click here to Send Blue Shadow a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dialgaofpower
Warming Up

Blue Shadow said:
So, if you want your pistol start "feature" in (G)ZDoom, you need to disable autosaving and not manually save the game yourself. Disabling autosave can be done from the miscellaneous options menu.

That's bullcrap TOO! Why would I wanna restart the level with just a pistol!? That's like if in megaman, if you die, you have to restart the stage with just the mega buster! I want my thunder beam, dangit!

Old Post 01-26-13 17:42
Dialgaofpower is offline Profile || Click here to Send Dialgaofpower a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Well, these are the Sacred Ancient Rules of DOOM, cupcake. Get outta the kitchen if you can't stand the heat.

Old Post 01-26-13 17:46
Maes is offline Profile || Click here to Send Maes a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dialgaofpower
Warming Up

Maes said:
Well, these are the Sacred Ancient Rules of DOOM, cupcake. Get outta the kitchen if you can't stand the heat.

F*** the "Sacred Ancient Rules of DOOM"! Just lemme respawn with all my stuff without me having to save or I will MDK whoever came up with this "You can't respawn without losing everything besides your pistol" piece of crap AND THEIR SOUL!! What ancient rule prevents THAT!? Right answer: NONE!

Old Post 01-26-13 18:03
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Calm down. Enable autosaves and it will work just the way you want.

Old Post 01-26-13 18:05
Memfis is offline Profile || Click here to Send Memfis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Dialgaofpower said:
What ancient rule prevents THAT!? Right answer: NONE!

Wrong, muthafuckah.

Old Post 01-26-13 18:15
Maes is offline Profile || Click here to Send Maes a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

Whatever, you big baby.

Here's a few console commands for you:
resurrect: makes you respawn.
buddha: your health cannot go lower than 1, so you never actually die.
god: can't take damage at all, much simpler.

(Disclaimer: you will still die if you get telefragged or is otherwise inflicted 1 million points of damage in a single attack.)

Old Post 01-26-13 18:30
Gez is offline Profile || Click here to Send Gez a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Dialgaofpower
Warming Up

How do you like THAT, Zdoom!? You just got ainus handed to you, because I just binded resurrect to R! Oh, and I have freelook on, BTW.

Old Post 01-26-13 18:52
Maes
I like big butts!

WHOOO-HOO BABY! Now you're COOKING WITH PLASMA! You're in the BIG LEAGUES!

Old Post 01-26-13 19:00
Gez

Dialgaofpower said:
How do you like THAT, Zdoom!? You just got ainus handed to you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainus

Old Post 01-26-13 19:29
Maes
I like big butts!

What kind of a world we're leaving to our children, and our children's children and... oh, the humanity!

Old Post 01-26-13 19:38
BlackFish
Forum Spammer

First of all, epic thread. Also, at least I get to learn about this buddha cheat. :P

Old Post 01-26-13 21:25
BlackFish is offline Profile || Click here to Send BlackFish a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Dialgaofpower said:
When you die in doom, you get to respawn, right...

I'm intrigued. You seem to think that respawning like this is standard behaviour - but it isn't. Where did this idea come from?

Old Post 01-26-13 22:37
Enjay is offline Profile || Click here to Send Enjay a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

Why would I wanna restart the level with just a pistol!?

You're new to this game aren't you.

Old Post 01-26-13 22:44
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Click here to Send Eris Falling a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ribbiks

embarassing.

Old Post 01-26-13 23:20
Ribbiks is online now Profile || Click here to Send Ribbiks a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Enjay said:
I'm intrigued. You seem to think that respawning like this is standard behaviour - but it isn't. Where did this idea come from?

Maybe from deathmatch maps that are designed so that you auto-pick ALL weapons as you spawn?

Old Post 01-27-13 01:41
GreyGhost

Dialgaofpower said:
When you die in doom, you get to respawn, right,

Why would I wanna restart the level with just a pistol!?

Just lemme respawn with all my stuff without me having to save

THAT'S BULLCRAP!
Welcome to 1993, I hope you enjoyed your stay.

Old Post 01-27-13 07:55
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Click here to Send GreyGhost a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

As an aside, I actually like how ZDoom automatically reloads my most recent save when I die. Saves me the effort of doing it myself, as I would have to in vanilla.

Old Post 01-28-13 02:37
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Click here to Send Shadow Hog a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Tango

i lol'd at this guy

Old Post 01-28-13 02:43
Tango is offline Profile || Click here to Send Tango a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

How come nobody answered the original issue? That if you have autosave disabled, you START the WHOLE SESSION over. It has happened to me in the past. I disabled autosave because I wanted to rely on classic Doom respawning, but when I died, I restarted TWO LEVELS back when an ACS script had done the last save. Was it a bug? It was a Zdoom megawad, maybe it had a nefarious MapInfo setup?

Old Post 01-28-13 07:59
printz is offline Profile || Click here to Send printz a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Edward850

Because you aren't thinking it through. Restarting a map fresh just can't be done in ZDoom without breaking level scripts and hubs. While the issue with hubs could worked around by only using the autosaving system when in a hub, the same can't be done with any map, that just so happens to not be a hub, that has scripts dependent on you doing tasks in a previous map.
If you restart a map that just so happened to use a global variable or a script called by a previous map, this information is lost and can potentially break said levels scripting, or the level it self. This also cannot be changed at all, as an already existing mapset is more then likely to break as a result.

So what happened is Zdoom took you back to the last savegame your session had. Because you have per-map autosaves disabled for some odd reason, this just happens to be a save game two maps ago. Anything else is likely to break the game.

Old Post 01-28-13 08:25
Edward850 is offline Profile || Click here to Send Edward850 a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

This was brought up on ZDF somewhat recently, and the ability to force a pistol-start without manually restarting the map via console is really more of an unimplemented feature. The behavior is different from Doom's by default for hub support, and the issue printz highlighted shows why disabling autosaves isn't an adequate solution for the issue.

An ideal implementation would be a "Pistol start on death" option that could be in one of three states: Off (default, current behavior), On (always pistolstart) and Non-Hub (Only pistol-start when not playing a hub). It can't perfectly cover all cases where a later map in a set requires/assumes that the player has an item/weapon obtained in an earlier map, but in this case it's no different than if the player skips forward to the map anyway. Can't do much there.

Old Post 01-28-13 18:36
Xaser is offline Profile || Click here to Send Xaser a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote