User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Picture enemies?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:54.   
Matthew
Banned

How can I make a picture enemy like in UACMN, or JCpack?
I really want to make one with XWE and Doom Builder 2
Please help!

Old Post 04-23-13 00:04
Matthew is offline Profile || Click here to Send Matthew a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

Why would you want to do that? :/

Old Post 04-23-13 00:13
Obsidian is online now Profile || Click here to Send Obsidian a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Matthew
Banned

Obsidian said:
Why would you want to do that? :/

Because I want to know how, so I won't be such a no0b

Old Post 04-23-13 00:13
Matthew is offline Profile || Click here to Send Matthew a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

I reckon you're taking your inspiration from the wrong source. But anyway: these "picture enemies" are regular monsters like the stock Doom ones, but instead of having multiple sprites for walking, attacking, etc it uses the one sprite for everything. It's not really one of the more spectacular feats of engineering, so I'd advise you to start somewhere different. If you still want to try your hand at making custom monsters, talk to the folks over at Realm667. Oh, and I'd recommend using SLADE3 instead of XWE, as SLADE3 doesn't tend to corrupt files.

Old Post 04-23-13 01:41
Obsidian is online now Profile || Click here to Send Obsidian a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Matthew
Banned

Obsidian said:
I reckon you're taking your inspiration from the wrong source. But anyway: these "picture enemies" are regular monsters like the stock Doom ones, but instead of having multiple sprites for walking, attacking, etc it uses the one sprite for everything. It's not really one of the more spectacular feats of engineering, so I'd advise you to start somewhere different. If you still want to try your hand at making custom monsters, talk to the folks over at Realm667. Oh, and I'd recommend using SLADE3 instead of XWE, as SLADE3 doesn't tend to corrupt files.

Thanks so much!

Old Post 04-23-13 03:19
schwerpunk

I feel like you just gave someone instructions on how to make a bomb, Obsidian. Oh well, at least you tried to point him toward the higher path.

Old Post 04-23-13 03:25
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Click here to Send schwerpunk a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

schwerpunk said:
I feel like you just gave someone instructions on how to make a bomb, Obsidian. Oh well, at least you tried to point him toward the higher path.

I was thinking something similar. Heh.

Old Post 04-23-13 03:41
Death Egg
Forum Regular

How is it you've made three posts yet your member title is still "Registered just to make one post"?

http://i.imgur.com/3oSBA0pl.png

Old Post 04-23-13 03:58
Death Egg is offline Profile || Click here to Send Death Egg a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Matthew
Banned

Death Egg said:
How is it you've made three posts yet your member title is still "Registered just to make one post"?
http://i.imgur.com/3oSBA0p.png

Doesn't show up that way on my end...

Old Post 04-23-13 03:59
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Based on the lack of thread icon, this was probably originally posted in Blogs, where posts don't add to postcount. Now that it's in Doom Editing, they count, so his title is different.

Old Post 04-23-13 04:08
esselfortium is offline Profile || Click here to Send esselfortium a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Death Egg
Forum Regular

Huh, looks like it's fixed now anyway.

Old Post 04-23-13 04:09
Death Egg is offline Profile || Click here to Send Death Egg a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Matthew
Banned

OH MY FUCKING GOD. XWE CORRUPTED ALL THE GODDAMN FILES. IT WAS A LONG MAP TOO. FUCK!!!

Old Post 04-23-13 05:35
Obsidian

Matthew said:
OH MY FUCKING GOD. XWE CORRUPTED ALL THE GODDAMN FILES. IT WAS A LONG MAP TOO. FUCK!!!

Ouch.

Old Post 04-23-13 06:01
schwerpunk

I lost my first huge map to a HDD failure. Literally months down the drain. Believe me, I feel your pain.

Just take a little breather. You'll bounce back. In the meantime, why don't you tell us what your map was about? Even if we can't play it, we can give you a review of the concept.

Old Post 04-23-13 06:17
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Click here to Send schwerpunk a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Springy

Very random question but are you Matthew Jury? The guy who's made maps for Aquarius to review?

Old Post 04-23-13 10:43
Springy is offline Profile || Click here to Send Springy a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Matthew said:

You made a long map without making backups along the way?

Computer use 101: Make backups.

When I am loading a WAD up in a tool such as XWE, before I even load it I right-click-and-drag the file to an empty space and pick "Copy here". It only takes a second and if my main file survives the editing process, I can delete the backup. However, for what ever reason, I don't seem to get many corrupted WADs anyway. I can't remember the last time it happened.

Old Post 04-23-13 20:23
Enjay is offline Profile || Click here to Send Enjay a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ribbiks

rofl @ this:

Obsidian said:
Oh, and I'd recommend using SLADE3 instead of XWE, as SLADE3 doesn't tend to corrupt files.

Matthew said:
Thanks so much!

Matthew said:

Old Post 04-23-13 20:43
Ribbiks is offline Profile || Click here to Send Ribbiks a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

XWE can be used to generate cool untangle puzzles.

Old Post 04-23-13 21:04
Memfis is online now Profile || Click here to Send Memfis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Vermil

I think XWE is better than many give it credit for.

As long as you don't have the wad open and save it in another program, at the same time you have it open in XWE, it doesn't corrupt things to any greater degree than any other wad editing program.

Old Post 04-23-13 21:29
Vermil is offline Profile || Click here to Send Vermil a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Matthew
Banned

Springy said:
Very random question but are you Matthew Jury? The guy who's made maps for Aquarius to review?

Yes, I am!
How did you guess?

Old Post 04-23-13 21:38
Matthew
Banned

schwerpunk said:
I lost my first huge map to a HDD failure. Literally months down the drain. Believe me, I feel your pain.

Just take a little breather. You'll bounce back. In the meantime, why don't you tell us what your map was about? Even if we can't play it, we can give you a review of the concept.

This was only days down the drain... but it really must have sucked for you, because just a few days made me angry as fuck...
Sorry...

Old Post 04-23-13 21:40
Springy

Matthew said:

Yes, I am!
How did you guess?

On that day I watched the show as it was another new upload by him.

Old Post 04-23-13 22:54
Springy is offline Profile || Click here to Send Springy a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang
Forum Regular

Matthew said:

lol this happens to me before for my 2nd map and 3rd map, it nearly ruins my whole map that means I need to remake it again. Try to make more backups, or send the backups to yourself via email.

九泉底下十徘徊,奈何橋上恨正長
腸百折,愁千縷,萬般無奈把心傷 - 袁樂梅(「梅花三弄之」岳翎的角色)

我是中華民國的台灣人! I am Taiwanese of Republic of China(ROC)!!!

Old Post 04-24-13 02:55
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang is offline Profile || Click here to Send Daiyu_Xiaoxiang a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Glaice
formerly Mr. Chris

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:
lol this happens to me before for my 2nd map and 3rd map, it nearly ruins my whole map that means I need to remake it again. Try to make more backups, or send the backups to yourself via email.

A better idea would be zipping the file each time it is majorly edited.

Old Post 04-24-13 05:42
Glaice is offline Profile || Click here to Send Glaice a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

I don't know how I did it but XWE makes backups for me all the time automatically for some reason, like almost every time a change something. I recently deleted about 2 GB of backups:
http://thumb3.wuala.com/previewImage/kuchitsu/Doom_PIC/XWEbackup.png

Old Post 04-24-13 11:23
Memfis is online now Profile || Click here to Send Memfis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

Brainwash, eh? Sounds interesting.

Old Post 04-24-13 11:27