User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Why Does it Seem Like the Doom Community is Stuck in A Timewarp?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:58.   
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

I've noticed something lately: the Doom community feels like it's stuck in a timewarp, I would say it's stuck in a time period of about a decade in the past, though I can't quite put my finger on exactly why that is. Is it perhaps because the last true Doom game was released approximately a decade ago? Is it because the last truly classic first-person shooter (Quake 3) was released about a decade ago? Is it because almost all the Doom sites were made a decade or more ago, and haven't been visually revamped since, so they look like average sites from ten years ago? Maybe it's because the Doom Wiki is in shambles right now? Can anyone think of possible reasons for why this is?

Old Post 05-04-13 22:24
AlekTheNerd is offline Profile || Click here to Send AlekTheNerd a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I will say that a good chunk of the community is a bit older in age, but I wouldn't say we're stuck in a timewarp. I'm also confused on a couple of your points, namely the Doom wiki. How is it in shambles?

Can you articulate this any better?

Old Post 05-04-13 22:29
Snakes is offline Profile || Click here to Send Snakes a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

The Doom Wiki has relatively little information about Doom 3, for example, which shouldn't be a problem now. I also can't really say why I feel it's in a timewarp, which is the entire point of my post: I just feel that it is for some reason, although it could actually be because many of the people here were on the internet since the late 90's and early 2000's, so it could be because earlier internet culture is simply consequently ingrained into the community.

Old Post 05-04-13 22:34
AlekTheNerd is offline Profile || Click here to Send AlekTheNerd a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
PRIMEVAL

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly.... timey-wimey.... stuff.

Old Post 05-04-13 22:39
PRIMEVAL is offline Profile || Click here to Send PRIMEVAL a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

AlekTheNerd said:
The Doom Wiki has relatively little information about Doom 3

Are you actually being serious?

Granted that's only one article, but it just happens to be the largest article on the Doom Wiki, rivalling some of those of Wikipedia itself.

So how about this? That's got just as much information about Doom 3 alone as the articles for Doom 1, Doom II etc.

Yeah I guess the level articles are slightly lacking, but how much can you say about dark linear corridors with the occasional puzzle, compared to non-linear techbases and hellish temples and similar things?

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly.... timey-wimey.... stuff.

This. What was happening with those angels anyway? I need to work on my Doctor Who themed GZDoom map at some point..

Old Post 05-04-13 22:41
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Click here to Send Eris Falling a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

That's a nice Dr. Who reference, but it doesn't answer my question.

Old Post 05-04-13 22:41
Memfis
Forum Spammer

I thought this thread would be about the overabundance of classic style projects that we have nowadays. (as opposed to projects with new visual and gameplay themes, more experimental Boom/Zdoom stuff, etc) Because I'm interested in that.

Old Post 05-04-13 22:43
Memfis is offline Profile || Click here to Send Memfis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

Eris Falling said:

Are you actually being serious?

Granted that's only one article, but it just happens to be the largest article on the Doom Wiki, rivalling some of those of Wikipedia itself.

So how about this? That's got just as much information about Doom 3 alone as the articles for Doom 1, Doom II etc.

Yeah I guess the level articles are slightly lacking, but how much can you say about dark linear corridors with the occasional puzzle, compared to non-linear techbases and hellish temples and similar things?

This. What was happening with those angels anyway? I need to work on my Doctor Who themed GZDoom map at some point..

What about the Strife and Hacx information? Those are even older and even more lacking.

Old Post 05-04-13 22:44
Da Werecat

Doom itself is rather old, actually.

Old Post 05-04-13 22:47
Da Werecat is offline Profile || Click here to Send Da Werecat a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

AlekTheNerd said:

What about the Strife and Hacx information? Those are even older and even more lacking.

Well if you have anything to add to those articles, do so.
Remember, there are far less people who play Strife and Hacx than Doom. And those people probably don't even think to do anything with the Wiki.

As for other Doom engine games, I know that the Heretic E4 articles had massive edits on them recently, so its not like Hacx and Strife won't have full articles ever.

Old Post 05-04-13 22:48
Eris Falling is offline Profile || Click here to Send Eris Falling a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

That's quite blatantly obvious, but I would frankly expect the community culture to evolve beyond the early 90's, especially since we have source ports which add new things like DECORATE, DeHackEd, and Boom coding, or whatever it's called.

Old Post 05-04-13 22:50
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

Hurrr!

Did you know that the entire Community Chest series, some of the most popular megaWADs are Boom compatible? Did you know that Jenesis, Hadephobia, Claustrophobia 1024, Whispers of Satan, Speed of Doom, Freedoom, and UAC Ultra are also Boom compatible?

Did you know that there are tons of other megawads that use advanced source ports, rather than vanilla?

I'd suggest you read this and sort the table by "Engine"

Old Post 05-04-13 22:55
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

Eris Falling said:

Well if you have anything to add to those articles, do so.
Remember, there are far less people who play Strife and Hacx than Doom. And those people probably don't even think to do anything with the Wiki.

As for other Doom engine games, I know that the Heretic E4 articles had massive edits on them recently, so its not like Hacx and Strife won't have full articles ever.

Of course the Wiki will become better, because the Doom community quite clearly HAS evolved somewhat, though I feel it's stuck at a time around a decade ago, and if I were to think it wouldn't evolve, I would feel it's stuck two decades ago, since that's when Doom was released. However, I still think it's lagging behind by approximately a decade. Also, my main point isn't about the Wiki, but about the general community, but when it comes to Doom, the Wiki excels, but it is surely in shambles when it comes to other things.

Old Post 05-04-13 22:56
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

Eris Falling said:
Hurrr!

Did you know that the entire Community Chest series, some of the most popular megaWADs are Boom compatible? Did you know that Jenesis, Hadephobia, Claustrophobia 1024, Whispers of Satan, Speed of Doom, Freedoom, and UAC Ultra are also Boom compatible?

Did you know that there are tons of other megawads that use advanced source ports, rather than vanilla?

I'd suggest you read this and sort the table by "Engine"

The culture, not the things people make is what I'm talking about. My point with that statement was to point out the fact that we've gone so far technically, but, at least to me, have lagged far behind culturally.

Old Post 05-04-13 22:58
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

In which case I would echo Snakes' words: A good chunk of the community is a bit older in age. As I'm sure you've seen from this thread, the average age of Doomers seems to be late 20s.

Old Post 05-04-13 23:02
dew
experts

AlekTheNerd said:
The culture, not the things people make is what I'm talking about. My point with that statement was to point out the fact that we've gone so far technically, but, at least to me, have lagged far behind culturally.

nonsense. ralphis and 40oz putting midis of recent pop hits into multiplayer maps keep us perfectly up-to-date.

Old Post 05-04-13 23:06
dew is online now Profile || Click here to Send dew a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cannonball

dew said:

nonsense. ralphis and 40oz putting midis of recent pop hits into multiplayer maps keep us perfectly up-to-date.

Add to that gangnam style is used in a map of slaughterfest 2012

Old Post 05-04-13 23:22
cannonball is offline Profile || Click here to Send cannonball a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

cannonball said:

...Eargh.

Old Post 05-04-13 23:59
Obsidian is offline Profile || Click here to Send Obsidian a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

cannonball said:
Thanks for the warning.

Old Post 05-05-13 00:03
Technician is offline Profile || Click here to Send Technician a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
cannonball

This is why I will never become a salesman
On topic the doom wiki is a public database for which we can enter information into it. What needs to be remembered is that the people who contribute to the doom wiki is about a hundred or so compared to hundreds of millions on like wikipedia. Hence why so articles might be lacking like certain wads and mods.

Old Post 05-05-13 00:21
cannonball is offline Profile || Click here to Send cannonball a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

Obsidian said:
...Eargh.

cultural lagger! with the likes of you we'd still be 10 years behind the cultural frontier. what would the internet think of us then, huh?

Old Post 05-05-13 01:43
dew is online now Profile || Click here to Send dew a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

dew said:

cultural lagger! with the likes of you we'd still be 10 years behind the cultural frontier. what would the internet think of us then, huh?

I can't tell if I'm supposed to laugh at this or to take this as a subtle insult toward me...

Old Post 05-05-13 02:09
BloodyAcid

AlekTheNerd said:
I can't tell if I'm supposed to laugh at this or to take this as a subtle insult toward me...
Probably more on the lines of a general joke, I presume.

Memfis said:
I thought this thread would be about the overabundance of classic style projects that we have nowadays. (as opposed to projects with new visual and gameplay themes, more experimental Boom/Zdoom stuff, etc) Because I'm interested in that.
My first thought was that it might have been a thread complaining about the abundance of community projects.

-
Ignoring the Doom Wiki, the ZDoom wiki continues to remain ever updated, and the website Zandronum was erected less than a year ago.

but when it comes to Doom, the Wiki excels, but it is surely in shambles when it comes to other things.
If not the wiki, and you've already mentioned new features and websites, what else is in "shambles"?

Old Post 05-05-13 02:40
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Click here to Send BloodyAcid a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Spammer

BloodyAcid said:
My first thought was that it might have been a thread complaining about the abundance of community projects.

Yeah, that's an issue as well I think. Maybe it's time for people to get back to their personal projects where they can better express their individuality and basically make whatever they want. Community projects are too random and uneven, and while it adds to the enjoyment sometimes (a lot of variety and you don't know what to expect from the next maps), it would be nice to see some more consistent projects with a clear style and direction.

Old Post 05-05-13 02:48
Memfis is offline Profile || Click here to Send Memfis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

BloodyAcid said:
If not the wiki, and you've already mentioned new features and websites, what else is in "shambles"?

I can't actually think of anything else.

Old Post 05-05-13 02:50
dew
experts

Memfis said:
Yeah, that's an issue as well I think. Maybe it's time for people to get back to their personal projects where they can better express their individuality and basically make whatever they want. Community projects are too random and uneven, and while it adds to the enjoyment sometimes (a lot of variety and you don't know what to expect from the next maps), it would be nice to see some more consistent projects with a clear style and direction.

you're in luck! there's a project in the making that easily accomplishes what you're desperately craving for, surely you shall find it satistactory and won't bitch out of your ass about its clear style and direction! here's the link:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mo...ures-on-page-9/

Old Post 05-05-13 02:59
Memfis
Forum Spammer

awsome can't wait

Old Post 05-05-13 03:03
Xaser
Forum Staple

Hmm, gotta jump in here since I've got a question o' sorts.

AlekTheNerd said:

How, exactly?

Old Post 05-05-13 03:07
Xaser is online now Profile || Click here to Send Xaser a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

dew said:

Who cares what the Internet thinks? It's a global computer network, not a person. :P

Old Post 05-05-13 03:10
Obsidian is offline Profile || Click here to Send Obsidian a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

Xaser said:
Hmm, gotta jump in here since I've got a question o' sorts.

How, exactly?

I don't know, it just feels like the Doom community is in a timewarp, I don't know why, but I just feel that it is, I can't explain why I have this feeling.

Old Post 05-05-13 03:20