User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Why Does it Seem Like the Doom Community is Stuck in A Timewarp?
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:34.   
Snakes

AlekTheNerd said:

I don't know, it just feels like the Doom community is in a timewarp, I don't know why, but I just feel that it is, I can't explain why I have this feeling.

Mandatory question:

Have your recently made a jump to the left? What about a step to the right?

Old Post 05-05-13 03:35
Snakes is offline Profile || Click here to Send Snakes a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

Snakes said:

Mandatory question:

Have your recently made a jump to the left? What about a step to the right?

What?

Old Post 05-05-13 04:01
AlekTheNerd is offline Profile || Click here to Send AlekTheNerd a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bloodshedder
Spellchecker

AlekTheNerd said:

What?

Have you put your hands on your hips? What about bringing your knees in tight?

Old Post 05-05-13 04:11
Bloodshedder is offline Profile || Click here to Send Bloodshedder a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

Bloodshedder said:
Have you put your hands on your hips? What about bringing your knees in tight?

ಠ_ಠ

Old Post 05-05-13 04:15
AlekTheNerd is offline Profile || Click here to Send AlekTheNerd a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
NiuHaka

This thread quickly changed from being a bit confusing into something that is quite wonderful.

Old Post 05-05-13 05:05
NiuHaka is offline Profile || Click here to Send NiuHaka a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

NiuHaka said:
This thread quickly changed from being a bit confusing into something that is quite wonderful.

Indeed, going from a conversation about how one bloke thinks an entire community is stuck in a timewarp to quoting lyrics from a dance song, causing said bloke to become increasingly perplexed is, in fact, wonderful.

Old Post 05-05-13 05:16
kmxexii

AlekTheNerd said:

Indeed, going from a conversation about how one bloke thinks an entire community is stuck in a timewarp to quoting lyrics from a dance song, causing said bloke to become increasingly perplexed is, in fact, wonderful.

So you'd say that it's driving you insane?

Old Post 05-05-13 05:21
kmxexii is online now Profile || Click here to Send kmxexii a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

AlekTheNerd said:

ಠ_ಠ

Old Post 05-05-13 05:24
Gez is online now Profile || Click here to Send Gez a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Joshy

FFS, I can't get the song out of my head! Thanks a lot guys!

Old Post 05-05-13 06:31
Joshy is online now Profile || Click here to Send Joshy a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

I hope the original poster is referring to the Doom wiki at doomwiki.org, not the Doom "wikia" site. The latter is in shambles, because it's not the official one any more, and people prefer to write to doomwiki instead, thanks to less intrusive web layout.

I wouldn't say the Doom community is stuck in the past; I'd just say that the Doomworld forums never evolve. Well, except for how utterly retarded the around-2002 posts looked like, if I leave now and come after three months, I'll see the same conversations as I did before leaving.

Old Post 05-05-13 06:38
printz is offline Profile || Click here to Send printz a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

I make it a point to always correct people when they use the wikia version.

Old Post 05-05-13 06:40
Ragnor is offline Profile || Click here to Send Ragnor a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
purist

Memfis said:

Yeah, that's an issue as well I think. Maybe it's time for people to get back to their personal projects where they can better express their individuality and basically make whatever they want. Community projects are too random and uneven, and while it adds to the enjoyment sometimes (a lot of variety and you don't know what to expect from the next maps), it would be nice to see some more consistent projects with a clear style and direction.

There's always a place for community projects. At the least they are a good entry point for fledging mappers to get feedback on their levels whilst they're still working on the basics.

I think authors will naturally gravitate towards working alone or with like-minded authors once they are confident with the fundamentals.

One thing I think Doomworld is lacking is mapping teams. Like TiC or TNT in the past. It would be cool to see bands of 5 or 6 guys putting out a megawad every other year.

Old Post 05-05-13 08:00
purist is offline Profile || Click here to Send purist a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

printz said:
I wouldn't say the Doom community is stuck in the past; I'd just say that the Doomworld forums never evolve. Well, except for how utterly retarded the around-2002 posts looked like, if I leave now and come after three months, I'll see the same conversations as I did before leaving.

That's actually exactly what I was talking about.

Old Post 05-05-13 08:13
Enjay
ASK ME ABOUT FOOTBALL / STEAM / DEAD CELEBRITIES / THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

I see two obvious differences between this community and others:

This is a mature community with (relatively :P ) mature people posting in it. As such, it is in stark contrast to other "modern" 12 year-old screaming 'tards posting in it and arguing about nothing game communities.

The forum software here was designed back when Noah was into ship building (and it wasn't even particularly good then).

But, basically, I think that the core debate here is wrong. The initial question is "Why Does it Seem Like the Doom Community is Stuck in A Timewarp?". Most people have argued from the perspective of the assumptioin in the question: ie that it does seem as if we are stuck in a time warm and here's why. I'd argue it from a different perspective: we are not stuck in a time warp and the OP is wrong. We may be different in character to many communities but that does not mean being stuck anywhere. It merely means being different. Perhaps this has been confused with being "stuck".

Old Post 05-05-13 10:08
Enjay is offline Profile || Click here to Send Enjay a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phml
Forum Staple

As such, it is in stark contrast to other "modern" 12 year-old screaming 'tards posting in it and arguing about nothing game communities.

They've been twelve years old for a dozen years now. Timewarps, timewarps everywhere.

Old Post 05-05-13 10:38
Phml is offline Profile || Click here to Send Phml a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoomUK
Forum Staple

You sure know how to ruffle feathers, AlekTheNerd.

Last edited by DoomUK on 05-05-13 at 11:03

Old Post 05-05-13 10:54
DoomUK is offline Profile || Click here to Send DoomUK a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheCupboard
Forum Regular

Lols, this is the juiciest piece of flamebait that could've stumbled on our porch this week.

OP is actually paying us a compliment in my opinion!

Old Post 05-05-13 11:20
TheCupboard is offline Profile || Click here to Send TheCupboard a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

Yaaay, Time Warp!

I have to admit, I was expecting a thread along similar lines to what Memfis had in mind. This incredibly loose and poorly defined observation of "It just feels like... You know... Things, man! There's stuff here that makes things seem a bit... I dunno... Time Warp-y, like, you know?" lacks grounding.

Then again, I'm not on any other online communities (facebook doesn't count) at all these days, so maybe there is some sort of intangible, inexplicable difference about this place.

Old Post 05-05-13 12:55
Phobus is offline Profile || Click here to Send Phobus a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
j4rio
Forum Staple

Obsidian said:

...Eargh.

Technician said:
Thanks for the warning.

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/story/psys-gangnam-style-tops-1-billion-youtube-views-20121221/1000x600/psy-600-1356107548.jpg

You're stuck in timewarp, dudettes.

Old Post 05-05-13 20:18
j4rio is offline Profile || Click here to Send j4rio a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

It's really no worse than retrogaming or vintage A/V gear communities. You get plenty of old farts and anachronism there, too.

Old Post 05-05-13 22:23
Maes is offline Profile || Click here to Send Maes a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

TheCupboard said:
Lols, this is the juiciest piece of flamebait that could've stumbled on our porch this week.

OP is actually paying us a compliment in my opinion!

I would actually say so, since 2000's culture is such a big pile of fish shit.

Old Post 05-05-13 22:54
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

Phobus said:
"It just feels like... You know... Things, man! There's stuff here that makes things seem a bit... I dunno... Time Warp-y, like, you know?" lacks grounding.

Of course it lacks grounding, that's why I made this thread, to attempt to figure out exactly why I feel it is in a time warp.

Old Post 05-05-13 22:56
buttspit

AlekTheNerd said:

Of course it lacks grounding, that's why I made this thread, to attempt to figure out exactly why I feel it is in a time warp.

Calling the Doomworld psychologist!

Old Post 05-05-13 23:01
buttspit is offline Profile || Click here to Send buttspit a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

buttspit said:

I don't know exactly what you're getting at (hey, I have Asperger's Syndrome, and consequently can't see sarcasm even if it's slapping me in the face with its willy), but if your point is that my statement is absurd, just look at the uncanny valley. Robots which look extremely close to humans but are just slightly off can make someone feel iffy, and even revolted at it, even if they don't know exactly why that is. The concept of, "I know something, but I just can't put my finger on why," is actually a quite common phenomenon.

Old Post 05-06-13 00:21
DooMAD
Bitcoin IS a religion.

AlekTheNerd said:
Is it because almost all the Doom sites were made a decade or more ago, and haven't been visually revamped since, so they look like average sites from ten years ago?

Maybe it's the antiquated time-warpee in me talking, but I prefer pre "web 2.0" layouts and designs. And most modern forums are full of people with avatars and signatures that are big enough to be desktop wallpapers. Newer isn't necessarily better.

Old Post 05-06-13 00:32
DooMAD is offline Profile || Click here to Send DooMAD a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

DooMAD said:

Maybe it's the antiquated time-warpee in me talking, but I prefer pre "web 2.0" layouts and designs. And most modern forums are full of people with avatars and signatures that are big enough to be desktop wallpapers. Newer isn't necessarily better.

I never said newer means better. In case you're implying I did.

Old Post 05-06-13 02:50
Ragnor
I do see the humour in a mod sneakily changing my title

AlekTheNerd said:
I don't know exactly what you're getting at (hey, I have Asperger's Syndrome, and consequently can't see sarcasm even if it's slapping me in the face with its willy)

I have that too, and I understand sarcasm pretty well..

Old Post 05-06-13 03:15
Ragnor is offline Profile || Click here to Send Ragnor a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

buttspit said:

Before ve start, vere shall I send ze bills?

Old Post 05-06-13 03:46
Creaphis is offline Profile || Click here to Send Creaphis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

Enjay said:
I see two obvious differences between this community and others:

This is a mature community with (relatively :P ) mature people posting in it. As such, it is in stark contrast to other "modern" 12 year-old screaming 'tards posting in it and arguing about nothing game communities.

IIRC, the age median is around 16-17? So, not all that "mature" considering that the mean belongs to people younger, or slightly older than Doom itself. (If you want a "younger" community, visit the ZanZan forums)

Old Post 05-06-13 04:09
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Click here to Send BloodyAcid a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Platinum Shell
Forum Regular

AlekTheNerd said:

I can't tell if I'm supposed to laugh at this or to take this as a subtle insult toward me...

Guilty conscious?

Old Post 05-06-13 04:35
Platinum Shell is offline Profile || Click here to Send Platinum Shell a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote