User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Why Does it Seem Like the Doom Community is Stuck in A Timewarp?
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:51.   
Creaphis
I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

As per my newly-adopted Austrian psychoanalyst persona, it's time to spin some bullshit.

I'd say that Alek's perception that we're stuck in a timewarp is due to a combination of a few things. For one, we are an older community than most. This thread puts our mean age at a little over 25. Note that tastes and attitudes are strongly influenced by the time period you were born in, so for that reason alone, one could already expect us to have nostalgic preoccupations that make us seem "old fashioned" to younger cohorts.

For two, I noticed that a couple people in this thread have self-identified as having Asperger's, and I hate to say it, but that's not a coincidence. People with Asperger's syndrome or similar personality types are likely to dwell upon a narrow range of activities/settings in which they feel comfortable and skilled, unburdened by the crushing confusion they face when trying to tackle the entire world all at once. Also, those with Asperger's are less receptive to peer influence and less reliant on having peers approve of their tastes, so once everyone else their age has moved onto something new, a person with Asperger's may keep having fun in the same old way. These two effects together make someone much more likely to have a life-long interest in some specific, esoteric, age-inappropriate thing, example: Doom. This kind of commitment can easily keep someone posting the same thoughts in the same voice on the same forum for decades.

For three, Doom map design itself seems to have entered its neoclassical phase, where mappers are more interested in recreating the style and feel of the great maps of antiquity rather than pushing the envelope. This could partly be due to attritional factors - those Doom mappers who are most interested in exploring new possibilities are going to find themselves lured away by more versatile engines, which first happened when Quake was released in '96 and has likely happened again since then. This gradually distills us into a more artistically conservative population.

Does zat ansver your qvestion?

Enjay said:
I'd argue it from a different perspective: we are not stuck in a time warp and the OP is wrong.

You're definitely just speaking for yourself here because I'll readily admit that I'm stuck at least ten years in the past. I'm just starting to get into this hip new group "Daft Punk" and the last book I finished was written in the fifties.

Last edited by Creaphis on 05-06-13 at 06:14

Old Post 05-06-13 06:08
Creaphis is offline Profile || Click here to Send Creaphis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

Creaphis said:
For one, we are an older community than most. This thread puts our mean age at a little over 25

Ah, around 25-ish.

Old Post 05-06-13 07:35
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Click here to Send BloodyAcid a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

Creaphis said:
For one, we are an older community than most. This thread puts our mean age at a little over 25. Note that tastes and attitudes are strongly influenced by the time period you were born in, so for that reason alone, one could already expect us to have nostalgic preoccupations that make us seem "old fashioned" to younger cohorts.

I feel that this is the most likely answer to exactly why I feel the Doom community is stuck in the past.

Platinum Shell said:
Guilty conscious?

No, I just can't tell what people are getting at if their purpose isn't explicitly stated, so I just lay all the possibilities onto the table and attempt to figure out which one is most likely.

Last edited by AlekTheNerd on 05-08-13 at 02:46

Old Post 05-08-13 00:29
AlekTheNerd is offline Profile || Click here to Send AlekTheNerd a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

(I can't delete this post, so it's stuck here.)

Last edited by AlekTheNerd on 05-08-13 at 02:48

Old Post 05-08-13 00:32
AlekTheNerd is offline Profile || Click here to Send AlekTheNerd a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

Don't double post. Learn how to copy and paste, Brandon.

Old Post 05-08-13 01:44
Grazza is offline Profile || Click here to Send Grazza a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
qoncept

I'm stuck in the past because Doom is IMO the best game ever made. By that I mean, simply, it's the most fun. There have been fun games since, but none as good. There are some new features that make Doom better (improved networking, higher resolutions, better controls, etc) but others that change its fundamental gameplay that ruin it for me. Jumping, mouselook. Even 3d models and overdone lighting effects because they ruin the instant monster recognition I'm used to.

Old Post 05-08-13 16:33
qoncept is offline Profile || Click here to Send qoncept a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Memfis
Forum Legend

Grazza said:
Brandon

Ohhhhhh. Thanks for explaining this bizarre thread.

Old Post 05-08-13 16:38
Memfis is online now Profile || Click here to Send Memfis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Snakes

Welp, this pretty much solves every question I had concerning OP. My work here is done.

Old Post 05-08-13 16:52
Snakes is offline Profile || Click here to Send Snakes a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

FYI, he's probably not Brandon. His overtly abrasive personality doesn't really match, and neither do the IP addresses.

Old Post 05-08-13 19:50
esselfortium is online now Profile || Click here to Send esselfortium a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

esselfortium said:
FYI, he's probably not Brandon. His overtly abrasive personality doesn't really match, and neither do the IP addresses.
He could be the other Brandon then, except that that guy was kind of a level making prodigy, not a long talkerů

Old Post 05-08-13 21:17
printz is offline Profile || Click here to Send printz a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

this thread is desperately lacking in a poll too.

Old Post 05-08-13 22:53
40oz is offline Profile || Click here to Send 40oz a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlekTheNerd
Mini-Member

Snakes said:
Welp, this pretty much solves every question I had concerning OP. My work here is done.

Except for the fact that I'm not Brandon... that's a quite important fact to be wrong on. Also, if you're talking about exp(x), you would be even more wrong because the last time I encountered him, I went apeshit and derailed a thread in rage.

Old Post 05-09-13 01:34
Grazza
=/-

But you are a rotten poster, and may well go the same way as him, regardless of who you actually might be.

Old Post 05-09-13 02:28
Grazza is offline Profile || Click here to Send Grazza a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote