User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > The semi-annual ZDaemon flaming thread on Doomworld

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:35.   
AlexMax

DevastatioN said:
ZDaemon

I doubt they want to endorse a port that has unapologetically facilitated piracy of their IWAD's.

Old Post 06-09-13 06:44
AlexMax is offline Profile || Click here to Send AlexMax a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kilgore

Commissar Alexmax and his FUD again; where exactly in that letter does ID condemn ZDaemon? Do you think they used the conditional construct "If what you're saying is true, then ZDaemon would..." by accident?

Show me when ID did come after ZDaemon. But of course you cannot, since it never happened. If your accusations/insinuations are correct, why didn't ID do something about it? it's because your accusations are false and you know them to be false.

Why don't you tell people the truth? that your beef with ZDaemon is purely political in that you tried to impose your will over the developers (it started with a ban that your pal Ralphis didn't like), and when this didn't work, you started this jihad of yours? wasn't that Odamex's only reason of existence? You have often stated your position that the developers should have no say over the project they work on/finance, and they should instead obey random (though well connected) people like yourself. Yeah... indentured servitude to King Ralphis has always been our life's dream.

Last edited by Kilgore on 06-09-13 at 13:25

Old Post 06-09-13 13:14
Kilgore is offline Profile || Click here to Send Kilgore a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
phenex2
Green Marine

Ralphis said:
I don't really plan to delve into idiotic politics in this thread but ...

but yet you do and derail the thread even further.

Ralphis said:Seeing as how you've banned almost all of the top players in North America
citation needed.

Ralphis said:
jkist3 [...] you've banned for political reasons mind you

jkist3 was never banned on zdaemon. not now. not in the past. why would we do that?

Ralphis said:
I cannot recommend Chocolate Doom only because its ease of use and lack of relevant features.

If it is supposed to be a classic doom tourney i dont see what features are missing from choco doom that people had in classic doom tourneys when they played doom2.exe. It is different when ctf is supposed to be played, but I doubt there will be enough players for such a tourney. Though if it is the latter after all then of course I recommend ZDaemon

Ralphis said:
the difference between my opinion and yours is that I'm one of the top players in the northern hemisphere over the past decade. I've also been involved in running the most successful Doom tournaments and leagues of all-time.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sponge will surely have a great time reading all these highly unbiased posts to form an opinion on what port to use. It is a real shame the thread had to turn into this and it will be bombarded with more walls of text I predict. Also notice the asymmetry of the attacks. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Old Post 06-09-13 16:32
phenex2 is offline Profile || Click here to Send phenex2 a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlexMax

This post intentionally left blank.

Last edited by AlexMax on 06-10-13 at 04:10

Old Post 06-09-13 22:06
AlexMax is offline Profile || Click here to Send AlexMax a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
legion_

zdaemon has had a very bad system of handling bans/punishments. instead of dealing with situations calmly and with reason, the usual reaction is to ban first and ask questions later.

take a look at
http://pastebin.com/sPkQmMb0
notable players that have been banned without cheating include:
humanbones (long time zdaemon staff member banned for purely political reasons)
ralphis (I haven't been around for very long but I believe he was also in the zdaemon staff once upon a time, banned for purely political reasons)
rottking (competitive player, banned for purely political reasons)
shane (competitive player, banned for purely political reasons)
bojan (competitive player, banned for purely political reasons)
alexmax (server maintainer and long time supporter of doom in general, banned for purely political reasons)
ladna (server maintainer, programmer, smart guy, old competitive player, long time contributor, banned for purely political reasons)
nostar (server maintainer, competitive player, banned for purely political reasons)
jkist3 (the guy who ran zddl for longer than I can remember, longstanding competitive player and probably one of the best players to grace your port, banned (at least on your forums and irc) for purely political reasons)
xenaero (long time contributor, very angry but long time competitive player, banned for purely political reasons)
me (recent competitive player, banned for purely political reasons)
any others I might have missed, sorry but this list is not comprehensive (heh).

many notable competitive players have been banned without cheating. this isn't me trying to stir up drama, its just the truth. after all the arguments and such, I get the feeling that even discussing this is just a general waste of time because nothing comes of discussion with zdaemon admins, other than more bans for the ban gods

drama aside here

zdaemon is actually a solid port when dealing with low ping situations (from what I understand, but I have not seen competitive play at zdaemon lans well enough to state this with 100% certainty). it is only on higher pings where inconsistencies start to poke through

I wouldn't rule out zandronum as a port to play though, it is also very solid and probably has the greatest following and competitive scene at this time.

but if quakecon is looking for the best vanilla experience with a source port that is maintained, I would probably go with odamex. while I would think zandronum would be the best choice for modern features and overall general utility, odamex does deliver a solid oldschool feel for a source port

whatever happens, I will watch this happen and wish I was there, good luck quakecon!

Last edited by legion_ on 06-09-13 at 23:59

Old Post 06-09-13 23:47
legion_ is offline Profile || Click here to Send legion_ a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

thank you, legion, for making the thread much worse than it was before. i wasn't sure it was possible, but when it comes to bad, you're the best man for the job.

Old Post 06-10-13 00:18
dew is online now Profile || Click here to Send dew a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kilgore

Alexmax:
All because I thought it was important for people to have a place to play this two-decade-old game without having to answer to people like you.

Thank you very much for finally admitting it; so it is political after all; and your argument is basically that a project's developers should have no say over the project, whereas some nebulous "community" (which may include people that have not invested anything in the project) should. OK.. let's see what people think about that; but then...

Ralphis
I was banned, by you, in the Spring of 2006 after contacting id about GetWad.
Here is the thing though... if your problem is pre-existing and political (which you both admitted above), it also implies that the getwad accusations were made with a malicious intent. And guess what? I've been saying that for years. So thank you both for making my point. By now everyone can see things for what they are, rather than how you're trying to spin them.

Old Post 06-10-13 00:53
Kilgore is offline Profile || Click here to Send Kilgore a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Technician
Still no custom title

People who have issues with getwad are probably the same people who blame BitTorrent for movie pirating.

Old Post 06-10-13 01:06
Technician is offline Profile || Click here to Send Technician a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlexMax

This post unintentionally left blank.

Last edited by AlexMax on 06-10-13 at 04:10

Old Post 06-10-13 02:29
Kilgore

Interesting revisionism there Alexmax. Afraid of showing your true colors? What's the mistake you mentioned in the deleted posts and then deleted even that mention? jeez... were you Stalin's photo airbrusher by any chance?

http://i.imgur.com/i2e93jy.png

Last edited by Kilgore on 06-10-13 at 04:29

Old Post 06-10-13 04:14
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Kilgore said:
Interesting revisionism there Alexmax. Afraid of showing your true colors? What's the mistake you mentioned in the deleted posts and then deleted even that mention? jeez... were you Stalin's photo airbrusher by any chance?

I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish with posts like this one, but I'm going to have to ask that you don't.

Old Post 06-10-13 04:43
esselfortium is offline Profile || Click here to Send esselfortium a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AlexMax

Kilgore said:
Interesting revisionism there Alexmax. Afraid of showing your true colors?

We came off as two bitter old men arguing about half-decade-old drama that most people in this thread don't remember or care about.

This is a thread about a duel tournament at Quakecon. I was a gigantic idiot to even respond to you in the first place. I apologize to the thread readers who had to wade through the eyesore.

Old Post 06-10-13 04:57
Kilgore

Alexmax:
I was a gigantic idiot to even respond to you in the first place.
Err.. you didn't respond to me for the simple reason that you started it: not me. Anyone can see that, as well as who is the bitter one. Have fun now

Old Post 06-10-13 05:25
Ralphis
IDL Founder

Kilgore said:
Err.. you didn't respond to me for the simple reason that you started it: not me. Anyone can see that, as well as who is the bitter one. Have fun now

You did drag my name in for fun though! But of course Kilgore, as usual, you've forced me to have the last laugh. The fact is: I got my hands on the early copy of your single and am releasing it to the world. Enjoy

Old Post 06-10-13 05:42
Ralphis is offline Profile || Click here to Send Ralphis a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
TheMionicDonut

Can people please take the *ahem* discussion over ZDaemon, odamex, IDL ports and policies elsewhere? This is meant for this tournament and I wouldn't want this chance for publicity for the Doom Community as a whole to be ruined over something that doesn't have a place in this discussion.

Thank you!

Old Post 06-10-13 06:49
TheMionicDonut is offline Profile || Click here to Send TheMionicDonut a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Kilgore

Ralphis:
You did drag my name in for fun though!
The only people responsible for bringing up your name was you (since you wrote the letter to ID), and Alexmax (since he referred to it). No matter how you try to spin things, it wasn't me who attacked anyone or instigated anything.

Congratulations on your video making abilities; I cannot even imagine the butthurt that would lead someone to invest such energy into it. It must really hurt that someone stood up to your internet tougness/awesomeness. And you guys are talking about bitterness?

Last edited by Kilgore on 06-10-13 at 09:22

Old Post 06-10-13 09:10