User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > iD Games Rating System Flaws [been there, done that]

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:43.   
Harmata
Loser

basically people complaining about the internet being the internet, the desired changes probably requiring more effort than they're worth, and ofc "can't handle criticism"

Another lazy job. If you are not really interested in understanding people's complaints, why post shit like that? You just listed 4 threads and called every author dumb, butthurt and not aware of "the Internet being the Internet". Because the Internet is one entity possessing a mind, right?
Oh, and all posts in those threads are by butthurt mapmakers complaining, right? Lousy.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/64063-option-for-a-mod-maker-to-respond-on-id-games/

This is a thread asking for an ability to respond on idgames Archive. Where's the butthurt? It's a simple feature request. But people responsible for frontend just ignored it. Hell, the OP didn't even expect much, which also shows a lot. Later in the thread schwerpunk proposed this:

It would be neat if we had a subforum that was totally automated, that created a new thread with the wad's name every time someone uploaded their work to /idgames. Then, if anyone wanted to actually discuss the wad, they'd follow the link on /idgames to Doomworld.

Was it implemented or considered? Nope, even tho other members supported it. Yes, other GOOD MAPPERS, not some losers like me with a single published map that has a 0/5 score. Did someone listen to them? No.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/62048-oh-this-is-so-not-nice-idgames/

Ah, my famous thread which made my map receive more votes than some megawads see in their entire archive lifetime. And it has nothing to do with my map.
The story: i uploaded a map (and describe what i wanted when i was making it in my readme file, which nobody probably read), it received two comments like this: "the insta crushers are shit, 0/5", "crushers are shit, the map is shit 0/5". So, i responded by telling them that you can spot the crushers early and avoid them (and called them autistic buttbuddies, i'm not gonna play an innocent sissy boy). Since you cannot comment (oh, i'm sorry, i mean "review") without giving a rating, i've gave myself two 5/5 to "counter" the two 0/5 (and i've told about this in the comment, i mean review). I did it to be able to respond, not to improve a score. Hell, did i spammed the scores later? Did i used proxy and put on sunglasses and small black mustaches and gave my map 20 5/5s? No. 2 comments, two responses, only because, again, you can't post without rating. Fuck, what a dumb system. You can't say anything, nothing at all. No quick info update, no "thank you", no "back off". No wonder mapper are so pissed off on this forum.

So, some time later i returned, and what did i see? The "shit" comments are still there, but my responses are gone. Some moderator just shut me up. It's not like i had many options already, but simply removing my posts is just a big "fuck you" to me and i think to every person who provides new content. He could delete both the "shit" comments and my responses, he could post a thread here to show everyone that "this mapper votes for himself, laugh at him!", but he just did the most lazy and no-brain thing a moderator can do. So, i've made a thread to say "fuck you" back and to say that i will not support the frontend anymore.
Don't worry, it wasn't a "I'M LEAVING AND NEVER COMING BACK!" thread, i'm not a lazy person like moderators or Ribbiks, i've read the FAQ, i know that "Please, nobody cares." Yes, moderators don't care, this is why half of the members has custom tags and there's a "post hell". Mods are badass like that.

And that's that. I never mentioned this situation outside that thread, but i always supported changes to the system in other threads. And after one of such threads, i've received this be-a-u-tiful custom title "Can't handle criticism" from some unknown moderator. What a tag. Not a joke, not a quote, no, a statement. Which was never proved and can be disputed. Oh wait, it can't be, i can't argue with an unknown moderator, and i definitely don't want to create a thread asking for its removal. If the mod was dumb enough to give me it, there's no point in arguing with him. After cutting some lose ends, i'll just leave. But it's okay, i'm sure the Doom community will not suffer, there are huge threads about "MOTHERFUCKING DOOM!" on 4chan, so there shouldn't be lack of people who know how to press the star buttons and call other people butthurt for disagreeing with them. I'm sure they'll find the "DUMB" tag near each thread funny.

I "can't handle criticizme" because i have a map with a low score on idgames, which means that everything i say about idgames frontend has no value, it's a stream of hate through tears. That's cheap.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/62872-feedback-trolls/

Can we at least get a username attached to comments?

Again, feature request.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/45766-public-rating-systems/

A poll that asks "what do you think of public rating systems?" from 2009. Are you kidding me, Ribbiks? What, that's also a "can't handle criticism" case?

But of course, implementing that would be a lot of unpaid work for someone who probably has better uses for their time.

Pff ha-ha. Did you hear that, people? Comments, ignore lists and comment filters are now difficult and time consuming to implement. It's like i went back to 1995 for a moment.

I just think it's kind of unfair to the authors of those great maps as well as people looking for some good levels to play.

Also:
1)The 32 megawads, prefab packs and single wads are rated using one system.
2)The single maps in the megawad are not rated, just the whole megawad, which is especially wrong when the megawad is a simple collection of maps without theme, like CC4.
3)What you say on the forum will affect what score your map will receive. People who hate you will give you a shit score, when your friends or people that sympathize with you will see that, they'll give higher or perfect score to compensate or cheer up.
4)People will vote just to keep the community alive. Same for ignoring the rules of the community projects ("10 maps in a month" that actually took 2 or more months)
5)I think there was one more point, but i forgot it

Old Post 06-16-13 17:33
Harmata is offline Profile || Click here to Send Harmata a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
j4rio
Forum Staple

I for one hope nothing Harmata wants will ever get implemented just so he can keep posting those walls of ragetext. It's all petty and unimportant stuff if you can handle criticism anyway.

Old Post 06-16-13 18:00
j4rio is offline Profile || Click here to Send j4rio a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Da Werecat

Ahh. Looks like a fun thread to lurk.

Old Post 06-16-13 18:00
Da Werecat is online now Profile || Click here to Send Da Werecat a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

Harmata said:
Yes, other GOOD MAPPERS, not some losers like me with a single published map that has a 0/5 score. Did someone listen to them? No.
Being a good mapper does not grant them special privileges or some form of "authority."

Harmata said:
i've gave myself two 5/5 to "counter" the two 0/5 (and i've told about this in the comment, i mean review).
That's not how the system works. You cannot decide to "balance" the wad's ratings however you deem is "fair."

Harmata said:
Some moderator just shut me up. It's not like i had many options already, but simply removing my posts is just a big "fuck you" to me and i think to every person who provides new content
There's a difference between several people giving you negative reviews and using several ip's/proxies/whatever to counteract said views. If you disagree with every rating, then why not just refrain from uploading?

Harmata said:
A poll that asks "what do you think of public rating systems?" from 2009. Are you kidding me, Ribbiks? What, that's also a "can't handle criticism" case?
Just because it's from 2009 doesn't make it invalid. The 0-5 star system with a brief comment still stands.

Harmata said:
1)The 32 megawads, prefab packs and single wads are rated using one system.
2)The single maps in the megawad are not rated, just the whole megawad, which is especially wrong when the megawad is a simple collection of maps without theme, like CC4.
3)What you say on the forum will affect what score your map will receive. People who hate you will give you a shit score, when your friends or people that sympathize with you will see that, they'll give higher or perfect score to compensate or cheer up.
4)People will vote just to keep the community alive. Same for ignoring the rules of the community projects ("10 maps in a month" that actually took 2 or more months)
5)I think there was one more point, but i forgot it

1)What system would YOU propose then? An elaborate system of dissecting every individual aspect to maps, prefads, megawads, graphics, music etc etc etc? For simpler people without such "professional" skills to assess your materials, a simple bad to good system "works."
2)The authors chose to contribute in such a way knowing that their maps will be collectively known as <megawad title> Can't bitch about individual maps there since they let their maps be used like that.
3)It's simple; don't make an ass of yourself. It's possible to determine the tone of aggressive posting, and if you flip someone off for disliking your map, then go fuck yourself too.
4)Where are you getting the statistics to generalize the community as "people"? If I recall correctly, you're in minority here.
5)Ok, we'll wait

Oh, and

Harmata said:
I "can't handle criticizme" because i have a map with a low score on idgames, which means that everything i say about idgames frontend has no value, it's a stream of hate through tears. That's cheap.
I'm preeeeetty sure that your wad's low ratings are not the only reason why you've received the title. Ignoring the first two comments on your wad, the rest are decidely constructive (for the most part) considering the character limit.

--------------------

Da Werecat said:
Ahh. Looks like a fun thread to lurk.

*passes the popcorn

Old Post 06-16-13 18:03
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Click here to Send BloodyAcid a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
dew
experts

Harmata said:
wall of rage

looks like someone still can't handle criticism... here's a template for your next post:

P.S.:

Harmata said:
Mods are badass like that.

fyeah, suck it down.

Old Post 06-16-13 19:14
dew is offline Profile || Click here to Send dew a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote