User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Project 115: Hopping the Fence [eviscerated; now hardedge.org discussion]
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:56.   
Fabysk
Banned

After thinking about Project 115 in how I can improve it, I finally came up with some ideas to make up the final update for this mod, Hopping the Fence. In this final update, shadows will be implemented to make the maps feel more realistic (trying to make more decoration). Fix multiple glitches, especially the one in Mob of the Dead where zombies stop spawning. Change around the campaign to make the story more understandable also the map layouts. The main menu will blow you away. You can now use your movement keys to select the option you want. As what most Project 115 Zombie mode fans expect, I will introduce 7 zombie maps. With small and medium sized maps that player will enjoy. There is so much to this update that you will be excited about. This update will be available December 6, 2013.

If you haven't played Project 115 yet, download it here
removed

Old Post 08-23-13 05:20
Fabysk is offline Profile || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

Here's a little rundown for anyone "curious" enough to try this.

Download size: 56MB

Included:

3x 1440x900 "wallpapers" (aka poor screenshots)
3x website "rank up" keys
1x wad
1x textfile

First off, why are you even making a website, facebook page for a simple mod? What's this member rank up nonsense, and more importantly, why would anyone care to "rank up" for you? (I can see that there is exactly one user on the site -> you). What's with this crazy promotion requiring website registration and facebook page? Who'd care that much?

Textfile, nothing bad, let's move on to the wad.

67.2MB download, parsed through SLADE, and what do I see? 14.19MB/10.32MB/7.12MB/2.34MB MP3 files, sizing up the wad. Next, a cluster of messy pasted Decorate/markers all over the place, devoid of the original authors of the content. It's pretty obvious when your mod and all of it's DLC glory contains mostly content ripped from other resource websites, without so much as a mention of the creators. It's just popping open Realm and pasting stuff back and forth.

Here are some stuff you should have credited: Hmm, maybe this

Anyways, on to the actual mod. I mean, that's what all this snazzy fancy promotion is for right? This mod did warrant 2 expansions worth of DLC, and fancy addons alongside some genuinely worthless changelogs.

10 seconds in, and there's a typo. 15 seconds, started campaign, and another one. An unskippable cutscene ends the level. Wow, that was worth nothing. I learned that Robert and Steve are friends. That's about it. Robert Harris? Is there some specific reason you chose the name "Harris" of all possibilities?

http://i.imgur.com/FUawUhHl.png

Second "level" of militia blue. For this huge download, I expected some half-decent maps, not some blockish reminiscent of the 90's. You expect players to play this as their very first Doom mods, even barricading players to set up their controls. Really. Good thing the intense 2050 militia training only lasted 15 seconds - that really preps me for upcoming monster hordes. All 3 marines say the same things - lazy much? I also can't for the life of me skip these fucking slow and useless cutscenes where the camera pops from gray marine to gray marine.

Five minutes of cutscenes. When do I get to play? This retarded objective idea is insanely dumb. Yes yes, get ordered by a private, who sends one guy into the hordes. Finally, I get my gun. Wait, what? It's impossible to die because you regenerate like 15 health per second. The repetitive objectives aren't exactly useful or interesting. "Get through this building" gee, I wonder where else these impassible linedefs could take me.

http://i.imgur.com/zP6marel.png

The next level is an edit of MAP05 from Doom 2, showcasing all of McGee's interesting level designs being mushed up into a linear plow. Why are there stimpacks anyways? You can't die with that absurd regeneration rate. Some random standalone "hellraiser" (think green recoloured chaingunner) perforates you with an instakill overpowred mancubus missile. The floor is instakill, what? Why? There's a section on the floor for getting back up FOR A REASON, but no, you have to instantly gib the player.

http://i.imgur.com/YyBKXDbl.png

Oh sorry, minor correction -> it's not completely linear. There's an optional section where you can fight some overpowered humanoid monsters with a ... modified BFG and recoloured plasmagun. Then a dead end, with no way out except by cheating.

http://i.imgur.com/mjeWVO3l.png

More brilliant objectives. "Go back to the beginning"

Hey, where's all that hunky music I downloaded? The first few maps seem to play the original Doom 2 MIDIs to their fully glory instead of the oversized mp3's. Hmm, one hit kill rocket marine, one hit kill mancubus marine, random SSG guys and rapid fire plasma marines. Inconsistencies everywhere. On that note, you forgot to mark one of the doors with your catchphrase, marine stumping "this door is barred"

adhbiurwotgjhod more cutscenes. fuck. me.

And what's the next map? Can you guess? yep, a modified version of MAP04, with broken black textures everywhere because the author doesn't know how to organize.

http://i.imgur.com/jR5IPy5l.png

Pop open a few doors, and get locked into another fucking cutscene. A quest? Where'd that come from? I thought we were using an objective based system, not quests. Ok, so I do some random favor for the butcher in this deserted techbase MAP04 look-a-like. Ok, I lowered the temperature for the asshole, and there's no indication of what to do next. No "quest complete" or anything other than you doing some fucking asshat a favor.

http://i.imgur.com/s0Ls0M8l.png

Hey look at this original mapping skill:
http://i.imgur.com/cup9zcvl.png

Next map. Finally, no more bullshit cutscenes. But boy, these buildings look familiar. REALLY FAMILIAR. (I just can't quite name it, something from plutonia?)

http://i.imgur.com/Vdok8A9l.png
http://i.imgur.com/wIB4S4Pl.png

All the switches have had their actions removed, and doors are gone too. I thought that the little hunt would be more interesting, but when you meant "find 5 skulls" you should have said "find all 5 stacked in the same spot". The replaced buildings have one texture thoughout and aoifjoitgi fuck this stuff is ugly.

http://i.imgur.com/kUhNFq2l.png

You didn't remove the out-of-context MAP07 text blurb.

Next map. [Objective Complete] for what? For watching a cutscene. Fantastic. Where's my achievement?

For the next piece, I can't help but think you ripped it off another author's work. Even if it's original, you've already shamed yourself for this. Unknown polyobj, and red diamond signifying broken decorate code. I quit. Done.

http://i.imgur.com/F0B03htl.png

Congratulations, I can't even say that you've attempted to map. You added a few sectors here and there and tried to repackage the original Doom 2 levels as yours. I can't even commend your efforts with all that rubbish cutscenes because you failed at copy/pasting resource wads.

None of the music played, and the "wallpapers" are butt ugly.

Why am I hating on you? Not because you're a new mapper and that I refuse to help (on the contrary, I'd gladly help someone new), but the attitude you've taken towards your own "mod" is more of that like you're already a prodigy amongst us, speaking to 'fans' and putting out 'DLC'. To make matters worse, there's a separate multiplayer mod and EVEN MORE updates of you ripping out maps and calling them your own.

Waste of my time. (But then again, I asked for it, didn't I? :P)

Old Post 08-26-13 06:53
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

dose this mod work with tha brutal doom ?

Old Post 08-26-13 08:17
Marnetmar is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sp00kyFox

thanks for the detailed review bloodyacid.
sounds terrible, I'll skip it.

Old Post 08-26-13 10:33
Sp00kyFox is offline Profile || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AtTheGates
Mini-Member

thx for the warning bloodyacid.

OT: spookyfox, you don't happen to be a user on hardedge.org?

Old Post 08-26-13 11:42
AtTheGates is offline Profile || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sp00kyFox

spookyfox, you don't happen to be a user on hardedge.org?

yeah I am. but I'm more active over in the shoruyken.com forum. doom and fighting games are pretty much the constant in my gaming adventures.
you too a street fighter fellow?

Old Post 08-26-13 12:15
Sp00kyFox is offline Profile || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
AtTheGates
Mini-Member

Sp00kyFox said:

yeah I am. but I'm more active over in the shoruyken.com forum. doom and fighting games are pretty much the constant in my gaming adventures.
you too a street fighter fellow?

doom and fighting games for me as well. i'm a member on hardedge since 2005, more guilty gear and all sorts of other games, less street fighter.

/ot end

Old Post 08-26-13 12:17
AtTheGates is offline Profile || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

Well, the author has clearly read our comments and refused to respond, and couldn't bear, what, 3 posts that aren't completely related, so much to the point of editing his topic and "giving up." Maybe I need to post this on the facebook page?

Old Post 08-26-13 18:09
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

I just checked up on the Facebook page, and I noticed some guy called "Robert Downing" has posted some similarly negative remarks (if you think this is me, then you're retarded):

RD: Your mod is shit. The maps look worse than those from 1994, and that was almost 20 years ago. Trying to promote all of this, trying to hype up your non-existant fanbase. You should learn to map before creating a website, facebook page, threads etc etc

Fabysk: Maybe you should learn how to enjoy the mod a lot more before you become a complete douche bag and comment about this. Learn to enjoy buddy.

RD: Or maybe you don't mod like shit and rip resources from others

Fabysk: If you have not notice, creativity is running out now a days. This mod is based off of Call of Duty: Zombies. There are other mods based on it as well. They only made a few maps, while this mod has 21 maps (17 for campaign, 4 for zombies). Its very hard to make a map original. Tons of effort has to be made and this is how you treat a mod this has been released for 6 months? If you only hate the maps, play the campaign and don't focus on the maps. If else, you just suck at rating mods.

Old Post 08-26-13 19:17
cannonball

BloodyAcid said:

For the next piece, I can't help but think you ripped it off another author's work. Even if it's original, you've already shamed yourself for this. Unknown polyobj, and red diamond signifying broken decorate code. I quit. Done.

http://i.imgur.com/F0B03htl.png

Nope that's ripped off too, that E4M9 from Ultimate doom.
My goodness this looks bad, levels and resources ripped off and a bad attitude of self entitlement, story of the times I guess :/

Old Post 08-26-13 20:23
cannonball is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marcaek

Wow, what a tool. "Ripping off (commercial!!!) work is acceptable because I'm lazy and untalented!!!"

Old Post 08-26-13 20:28
Marcaek is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

Argh, you beat me to it Marcaek!

"creativity is running out" is a pretty bullshit excuse for copying other stuff. Besides, if the author actually cared about their mod, then if they had no creativity, I would hope they just wouldn't work on it until such a time they have the creativity required.

Old Post 08-26-13 20:31
Eris Falling is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

cannonball said:
Nope that's ripped off too, that E4M9 from Ultimate doom.
My goodness this looks bad, levels and resources ripped off and a bad attitude of self entitlement, story of the times I guess :/

Right, thanks. I knew it looked familiar somehow.

Old Post 08-26-13 20:33
Marcaek

"creativity is running out" is a slap in the face of all the talented authors who put effort into proving that statement wrong with their creations. Honestly I don't think there could be a lamer excuse.

Old Post 08-26-13 20:34
Marcaek is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scifista42
Forum Staple

Marcaek said:
"Ripping off (commercial!!!) work is acceptable because I'm lazy and untalented!!!"

When you think about it, that's what we're doing with midi music all the time.

Still, I'll rather avoid this mod, sorry.

Old Post 08-26-13 20:40
scifista42 is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Remiel

If you have not notice, creativity is running out now a days.
Of course he would know, never having had any

Old Post 08-26-13 22:10
Remiel is offline Profile || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sp00kyFox

lol at the thread title and derailing. seems through mod videos on youtube doom got some popularity again and some people are trying to ride on the train. well doom mapping might be easier than in modern engine games. but it still needs a lot of effort to pull of a map which looks and plays decent.

btw it's so typical for this new time in doom history that even before the quality of this wad is discussed somebody asks if it's compatible with brutal doom. feeling like... never mind.

also, why does this need 2 different release threads?
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mo...-zandronum-mod/

Last edited by Sp00kyFox on 08-26-13 at 22:58

Old Post 08-26-13 22:26
Marcaek

I agree that brutal doom is overexposed, a good example would be referring to it in a thread via image macro with no provocation.

(seriously, stop bringing it up)

Old Post 08-26-13 22:49
Sp00kyFox

yeah, you got me there. I edited my post.
it's just that it's f'n stupid and annoying. well I'm just gonna ignore these comments in the future and keep my sarcastic and angry responses in my little twisted head

Old Post 08-26-13 23:00
Obsidian
Forum Staple

Did a mod change the thread title or something? :P I'd check out this hardedge.org, but it's in another language. German, I think.

Old Post 08-26-13 23:06
Obsidian is online now Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

I think that the author's ego got bruised after the first three posts, prompting his little thread title change.

That, or a mod intervened.

edit: he deleted RD's post from facebook. What a loser.

edit2: he tore down the page itself. I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse.

Last edited by BloodyAcid on 08-27-13 at 03:50

Old Post 08-26-13 23:22
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

BloodyAcid said:
edit: he deleted RD's post from facebook. What a loser.

edit2: he tore down the page itself. I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse.

Down here that's known as a "dummy spit", looks like Robert Downing won that round.

Apart from music that's apparently unused (haven't had a proper look at the mod) the flats and patches have been triplicated, so there's obviously some bloat waiting to be trimmed.

Old Post 08-27-13 05:01
GreyGhost is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Unknownlag
Banned

Wow, this got me shocked! It's not because fabysk's mod sucked, but how you treated him on his first published Doom wad. I thought it was a really great wad for a starter. Fabysk, you did an incredible job in the ACS of the last mission. Very impressive that you had implemented two endings to your wad. Escially the ending where the evil voice was actually Richtoffen. It got me thinking a lot. Good job on your first wad. 

And as of you other people, why do you treat him like this. After reading his reddit post, he literally almost quit because of you guys. I feel so bad for Fabysk now. What kind of pricks are you people. Criticizing a wad that you have never completed. And for the record, Doomworld wad/mod reviewers just want flawless work. Why didnt you guys go easy on Fabysk. This gets me disappointed of how you assholes treated him.

Fabysk, keep up the great work, I know you can show these reviewers the best you can do.

Also, In my review for Project 115, I rate this mod a 8/10.

Old Post 08-27-13 05:23
Unknownlag is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

It's hard to be nice to someone who knowingly rips off commercial Doom levels and calls them his own. We'd be a lot nicer if he produces actual original work on the other hand.

Old Post 08-27-13 05:28
Obsidian is online now Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
chubz
Blackfish changed my title again

I was so disgusted by some of the posts here, I felt the need to create a somewhat lengthy audio response rather than typing a "wall of text" that might be skimmed over rather than taken to heart.

I feel that this covers a very important topic and I hope that because I'm speaking directly to you, you'll take the time to listen -- and I thank you very much in advance for doing so.

Audio Response (Alternate Mirror)

Old Post 08-27-13 05:31
chubz is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian
Forum Staple

I don't suppose you have something that doesn't need to be downloaded? My computer's a bit of a clunker.

Old Post 08-27-13 05:40
esselfortium
A Major Doomworld Concern

Unknownlag said:
Wow, this got me shocked! It's not because fabysk's mod sucked, but how you treated him on his first published Doom wad. I thought it was a really great wad for a starter. Fabysk, you did an incredible job in the ACS of the last mission. Very impressive that you had implemented two endings to your wad. Escially the ending where the evil voice was actually Richtoffen. It got me thinking a lot. Good job on your first wad. 

And as of you other people, why do you treat him like this. After reading his reddit post, he literally almost quit because of you guys. I feel so bad for Fabysk now. What kind of pricks are you people. Criticizing a wad that you have never completed. And for the record, Doomworld wad/mod reviewers just want flawless work. Why didnt you guys go easy on Fabysk. This gets me disappointed of how you assholes treated him.

Fabysk, keep up the great work, I know you can show these reviewers the best you can do.

Also, In my review for Project 115, I rate this mod a 8/10.

By some strange coincidence, you and Fabysk share the same IP address. Surely this is completely unrelated to the fact that your only posts on Doomworld using this account are to nominate your own wad for a Cacoward and to call the Doomworld community meanies.

Presumably also unrelated is the fact that your email address used to register Unknownlag is "project115fabysk@gmail.com".

Old Post 08-27-13 05:56
esselfortium is offline Profile || PM || Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Alfonzo
Broadcaster

Officers of the Doomworld Police Department, your forum needs you!

Old Post 08-27-13 06:00
Alfonzo is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Seele00TextOnly

BloodyAcid said:
Fabysk: If you have not notice, creativity is running out now a days.
Well that certainly is the case with your email registrations, Fabulous Fabysk.

Little Unknownlags Still Exist!

Old Post 08-27-13 06:01
Seele00TextOnly is offline Profile || PM || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Bucket
ROCK & LOAD
COCK BEEN BLOWED
IN YOUR MOUTH,
MANJUICE EXPLOAD

These are my favorite kinds of threads.

Old Post 08-27-13 06:05
Bucket is offline Profile || PM || Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote