User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Could there exist a race beyond the Demons?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »  
Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:06.   
Sergeant_Dornan_51

I'm talking about Angels. If there is a Hell, there must be a Heaven. Rather than being pure evil, they could be purely good. If they are canon to the game, why would they stand by as mankind gets tormented by their rivals? Could they be in some sort of magic spell that leaves them unable to help the UAC and Earth? No Jesus, or God, or anything, like that. Just Angels. What do y'all think?

Old Post 09-14-13 23:39
Sergeant_Dornan_51 is offline Profile || Click here to Send Sergeant_Dornan_51 a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scifista42

They came to a conclusion that humankind is too sinful and evil and actually deserves to be contained by hell, so they won't intervene.

Another explanation (which I personally prefer) is that Doom is primarily sci-fi and the demons are actually just creatures from a mysterious another dimension, that just seems like the hell for us. But it's not the biblical hell. And a heaven dimension may not exist at all.

Your post count is 1 and custom title is newbie, interesting.

Old Post 09-14-13 23:48
scifista42 is offline Profile || Click here to Send scifista42 a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Sergeant_Dornan_51

scifista42 said:

Another explanation (which I personally prefer) is that Doom is primarily sci-fi and the demons are actually just creatures from a mysterious another dimension, that just seems like the hell for us. But it's not the biblical hell. And a heaven dimension may not exist at all.

Well, if you look at DOOM 3, Hell is not just a realm for demons, but also where the captured souls of UAC Staff are sent to be tortured endlessly. Sounds a lot like a biblical Hell with Sci-Fi elements mixed in to me. Not to mention all the up-side down crosses in the classic DOOM games. Or the pentagrams...

Old Post 09-15-13 00:25
Sergeant_Dornan_51 is offline Profile || Click here to Send Sergeant_Dornan_51 a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
DoOmEr4LiFe
DoOm TiL dEaTh

For me, the Hell in Doom is sort of an amalgamation of all the various Hells that have existed across several mythologies. Even biblical. The kicker, is the startling realization that there is no Heaven. Nothing divine will protect you from the demons. And even if there were, you still have the BFG which is doing a far superior job anyway.

There are a thousand and one 'what-ifs' in regards to people's interpretation of the Doom universe. The only person that can succinctly answer your questions is yourself.

Old Post 09-15-13 00:40
DoOmEr4LiFe is offline Profile || Click here to Send DoOmEr4LiFe a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doominer991
Green Marine

Sergeant_Dornan_51 said:

Well, if you look at DOOM 3, Hell is not just a realm for demons, but also where the captured souls of UAC Staff are sent to be tortured endlessly. Sounds a lot like a biblical Hell with Sci-Fi elements mixed in to me. Not to mention all the up-side down crosses in the classic DOOM games. Or the pentagrams...

The pentagrams and upside-down crosses could just be the creatures symbols, like a way for them to say: "We own this place.".

Old Post 09-15-13 00:40
Doominer991 is offline Profile || Click here to Send Doominer991 a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Luke Dacote
Mini-Member

scifista42 said:
They came to a conclusion that humankind is too sinful and evil and actually deserves to be contained by hell, so they won't intervene.

I like this idea. It reminds me of that classic quote from 'Dawn of the Dead': "When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth." Just like in that movie where we're never given a reason as to why the dead are coming back to life, I feel it's better that we're never given a solid reason for why the forces of Hell decide to wipe out the Human race.

I know the theory that they're really aliens or inter-dimensional beings that just appear to be Demons makes more sense (as to why they can be harmed and why they would want to invade Earth) but I just prefer the idea that they're the real thing as it makes them the ultimate opposing force. And it makes the player (and Doomguy) feel more badass when finally beating the unbeatable.

Though on the subject of divine intervention, I think it would be fun if in the next Doom, the player could pick up 'Holy' weapons like crosses and holy water.

Old Post 09-15-13 01:31
Luke Dacote is offline Profile || Click here to Send Luke Dacote a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marnetmar
Forum Staple

DoOmEr4LiFe said:
For me, the Hell in Doom is sort of an amalgamation of all the various Hells that have existed across several mythologies. Even biblical. The kicker, is the startling realization that there is no Heaven. Nothing divine will protect you from the demons.

This actually sounds really neat. I'm sure a lot of religious people would get offended but the idea that mankind is alone with a world of pure evil with unclear origins is actually pretty unnerving.

Old Post 09-15-13 02:33
Marnetmar is offline Profile || Click here to Send Marnetmar a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

I'm sure more than one custom WAD has tried to cover a "Heaven" counterpart for Doom's "Hell". None come to mind, mind, but I'm sure they exist.

Who knows, maybe Doom's Heaven is filled with Cyberangels.

Old Post 09-15-13 06:37
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Click here to Send Shadow Hog a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

According to Wolfenstein RPG the cyberdemon wasn't originally "cyber", it's arm and leg was supposedly dismembered and destroyed.

Old Post 09-15-13 07:36
Avoozl is offline Profile || Click here to Send Avoozl a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Piper Maru

Yes there is. It's name is John Romero, and he'll make you bitch for an eternity.

Old Post 09-15-13 08:24
Piper Maru is offline Profile || Click here to Send Piper Maru a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Angelic spec-ops troops have engaged on secret missions peppering all the bastions of Hell with ammo, medical supplies, and body armors.

Old Post 09-15-13 09:21
Gez is online now Profile || Click here to Send Gez a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost

I thought that was the work of Doomguy's secret Santa - the ammo and health elf.

Shadow Hog said:
I'm sure more than one custom WAD has tried to cover a "Heaven" counterpart for Doom's "Hell". None come to mind, mind, but I'm sure they exist.
Only one that springs to mind right now is Heaven and Hell

Old Post 09-15-13 11:58
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Click here to Send GreyGhost a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

The weapons and ammo are left behind by fallen marines no doubt.

Old Post 09-15-13 12:10
Avoozl is offline Profile || Click here to Send Avoozl a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Waffenak
Forum Regular

Yes, The broccoli aliens control demons. Anyone got that? "snicker"

Old Post 09-15-13 12:41
Waffenak is offline Profile || Click here to Send Waffenak a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Well, if you're a Muslim, the Koran recognizes a third category of sentient beings between Humans and Angels/Demons: Jinns.

Jinn have the power to travel large distances at extreme speeds and are thought to live in remote areas, mountains, seas, trees, and the air, in their own communities.

So, Doomguy could qualify as Jinn in certain aspects (speed, carrying capacity, remote dwelling etc.) ;-)

Old Post 09-15-13 13:33
Maes is offline Profile || Click here to Send Maes a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the word 'genius' comes from 'djinn', right?

EDIT: Or maybe 'genie'? In spanish they are written the same (genio). There may be a correlation.

Old Post 09-15-13 17:37
Zed is offline Profile || Click here to Send Zed a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Avoozl
Forum Staple

The race behind the demons is none other than ID Software of course.

Old Post 09-15-13 17:40
DooM_RO

Lately,I've been thinking of an explanation for hell in Doom(and a possible plot point for Doom 4). I think that the person who volunteered (or not) to test the teleportation was very religious and was afraid of hell. When he stepped onto the teleportation pad, he died but the space magic mumbo jumbo materialized his greatest fear into the hell dimension

The thing is that up until then, there was no afterlife but after this materialization, the consciousness of humans is bound to this dimension without any heaven. Basically, you go to hell regardless of how good you were in life. Not only that but a crazy cult also arises from this. Afraid of eternal nothingness, they try to stop the Doomguy from destroying hell because they reason that it is better to actually experience something (even eternal pain) than taking away their ability to feel and experience anything. Therefore humanity is DOOMED regardless of what happens. (or maybe it's a trick made by demons to demoralize humanity)

Old Post 09-15-13 18:25
DooM_RO is offline Profile || Click here to Send DooM_RO a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RyRy13
Warming Up

Shadow Hog said:
Who knows, maybe Doom's Heaven is filled with Cyberangels.

That would be so badass. For Doomguy to be fighting the legions of Hell on a volcano while cybernetic missile-launching avenger angels come down and assist him... Doom 4 pls..

Old Post 09-16-13 00:28
RyRy13 is offline Profile || Click here to Send RyRy13 a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Doominer991
Green Marine

Avoozl said:
The race behind the demons is none other than ID Software of course.

The "demons" were genetically engineered by mad scientist John Romero as part of his plot to dominate the world. The dimension referred to as "Hell" is an artificial dimension created by Romero to act as one giant military base for his creations. He was planning to break through to Earth 4 years BEFORE Doom, that's why Doomguy was able to defeat him.

Old Post 09-16-13 18:55
Doominer991 is offline Profile || Click here to Send Doominer991 a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez

Zed said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the word 'genius' comes from 'jinn', right?

EDIT: Or maybe 'genie'? In spanish they are written the same (genio). There may be a correlation.

You're wrong!

Genius is Latin and basically means a little bit of divinity present in everything (people, place, things). It can be considered as the soul or spirit.

Jinn is Arabic and means "invisible things". Singular is jinni.

Although the words sound similar, they are unrelated in meaning or origin. However, when the 1001 Nights were first translated for European readers, the translator chose to use the word "génie" (genius) to translate jinni because of the similar sound and that both could be seen as types of magical spirits.

This translation choice influenced all later translations in European languages.

Old Post 09-16-13 19:24
Gez is online now Profile || Click here to Send Gez a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

Gez said:

You're wrong!

I knew it!

Gez said:

Genius is Latin and basically means a little bit of divinity present in everything (people, place, things). It can be considered as the soul or spirit.

Jinn is Arabic and means "invisible things". Singular is jinni.

Although the words sound similar, they are unrelated in meaning or origin. However, when the 1001 Nights were first translated for European readers, the translator chose to use the word "génie" (genius) to translate jinni because of the similar sound and that both could be seen as types of magical spirits.

This translation choice influenced all later translations in European languages.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

Old Post 09-16-13 21:24
Zed is offline Profile || Click here to Send Zed a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Janus3003
Mini-Member

Personally, I always thought Heaven showed up in Resurrection of Evil's ending:
Spoiler:
Marine takes an explosion to his face, screen goes white, and he's welcomed "home" by Dr. McNeil, who I'm pretty sure died when she turned off life support to power the teleporter or something.

If Heaven (and I say this with a Christian perspective) exists in the Doom universe, I'd say that the divine intervention involved is giving the Doomguy (and his co-op buddies) the drive/strength/previous experiences needed to pull through the whole ordeal.

Old Post 09-19-13 01:20
Janus3003 is offline Profile || Click here to Send Janus3003 a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
RyRy13
Warming Up

Janus3003 said:
If Heaven (and I say this with a Christian perspective) exists in the Doom universe, I'd say that the divine intervention involved is giving the Doomguy (and his co-op buddies) the drive/strength/previous experiences needed to pull through the whole ordeal.

That certainly is a very Christian way to put it. I personally like to think nothing is helping you, and that you are your own balling badass.

Old Post 09-19-13 10:18
RyRy13 is offline Profile || Click here to Send RyRy13 a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

the Freds

Old Post 09-19-13 16:15
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Click here to Send Clonehunter a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

Gez said:

Well, the Greek word is "Τζίνι" (Jini) both singular and plural, so closer to the original Arab word.

Old Post 09-19-13 16:28
Maes is offline Profile || Click here to Send Maes a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Suitepee

I guess the GODSpheres have to come from somewhere. Either that or the Demons don't know how to use their own sphere technology on themselves!

Old Post 09-19-13 17:49
Suitepee is offline Profile || Click here to Send Suitepee a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scalliano
This door is opened elsewhere...

I now want to make a Cyberangel

Old Post 09-19-13 18:56
scalliano is offline Profile || Click here to Send scalliano a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Shadow Hog
Forum Regular

scalliano said:
I now want to make a Cyberangel
Yeah, I kinda wanna see what one would look like.

I'm imagining the stereotypical angel from Renaissance paintings, but with bionic arms and legs kinda like Jax, and probably a rocket launcher arm (because duh).

Old Post 09-19-13 19:05
Shadow Hog is offline Profile || Click here to Send Shadow Hog a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Eris Falling
Forum Staple

Shameless self-promotion I know, but my GZDoom mod, should I get far enough into it will work with an idea of false angels/ betrayal.

Old Post 09-19-13 19:53
Eris Falling is online now Profile || Click here to Send Eris Falling a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote