User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Demon Killing on Doom(s)

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:18.   
arna051706

Hello ppl of the forum,

Just curious about how I am able to kill demons being that I am a mortal in the game? Also, am curious about how I am able to venture into hell being a mortal? There may be some gaps in the Doom Plot. I have not been able to find information that made it all completely make sense? Thank you for your help.

Old Post 09-22-13 03:55
arna051706 is offline Profile || Click here to Send arna051706 a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
40oz
Forum Spammer

Using a gun will do the trick.

Old Post 09-22-13 04:07
40oz is offline Profile || Click here to Send 40oz a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Jimothy

Well, the demons are just as mortal as you are, and are as susceptible to gunfire as you are.

That, and Hell most likely isn't the Biblical Hell. (Unless there was a memo I missed, that is.)

Old Post 09-22-13 04:17
Jimothy is offline Profile || Click here to Send Jimothy a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Captain Red
Pants

I always thought of doom's hell as being something like the warp from Warhammer 4000, that is to say, it's a dimension of chaos and malice rather then just where bad folks go when they die

Old Post 09-22-13 04:25
Captain Red is offline Profile || Click here to Send Captain Red a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

"Hell" in Doom is actually a euphemism for Detroit.

Old Post 09-22-13 04:34
Xaser is offline Profile || Click here to Send Xaser a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Marcaek

Don't read too much into it. Doom's story is there to serve as a framework for the events of the game and that's really it.

Old Post 09-22-13 04:34
Marcaek is online now Profile || Click here to Send Marcaek a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

I think you're talking about the fact that they are demons, and a mortal man shouldn't be able to kill them with a shotgun, for example? If that's the case, I think you answered your own question: it's a game. And, in this case, it's a game about killing demons with guns. The same for venturing into Hell, I think. About the plot, as has been said, it's not really the central part of Doom. And, definitely not meant to be rude, but if you want a game with a good story and a real sense of "time progression" or something, Doom is not the game you're looking for. Hope this helps.

Old Post 09-22-13 04:55
Zed is offline Profile || Click here to Send Zed a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Obsidian

The plot of Doom is one big gap. :P

Old Post 09-22-13 05:03
Obsidian is offline Profile || Click here to Send Obsidian a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
arna051706

40oz said:
Using a gun will do the trick.

Obviously wasn't the question. You tryin to undermine me?

Old Post 09-22-13 05:12
arna051706 is offline Profile || Click here to Send arna051706 a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sgt dopey

No arna051706. You are the demons

Old Post 09-22-13 05:20
sgt dopey is offline Profile || Click here to Send sgt dopey a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

You may want to read this article.

Old Post 09-22-13 05:22
Zed is offline Profile || Click here to Send Zed a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
arna051706

Zed said:
I think you're talking about the fact that they are demons, and a mortal man shouldn't be able to kill them with a shotgun, for example? If that's the case, I think you answered your own question: it's a game. And, in this case, it's a game about killing demons with guns. The same for venturing into Hell, I think. About the plot, as has been said, it's not really the central part of Doom. And, definitely not meant to be rude, but if you want a game with a good story and a real sense of "time progression" or something, Doom is not the game you're looking for. Hope this helps.

Any sources for your information on plot here? Yes, that was the question I was asking.Well, anyway thanks for your help but I would like sources for your information on the plot there. IF there are any....

Old Post 09-22-13 05:23
Zed
Forum Regular

Well, my source is mainly the "intermission screens" in the game. If you want to read more, the Doom Wiki is a good place to start. Have a good day.

Old Post 09-22-13 05:26
arna051706

If the plot is really so poorly written that you can't kill demons with guns, according to demonology information and you are killing them in the game, much less able to enter hell through a teleportation passage if that is even possible according to mythology, then this game stinks. You would think that if they could not make a decent working plot, then they might as well have not even made the game? I realize, as I have read in the Doom 3 BFG manual that there is an ancient martian invention (in game) called the Soul Cube, which becomes stronger every time a demon is killed, maybe this weapon/invention somehow makes the demons weaker or something? Maybe the Doom Hell isn't really, like many have stated in previous posts in this thread, the biblical hell. Maybe it is simply some other part of hell, or an invention created by hell/satan? Idk...but sure would like to gain an understanding of how the heck I am killing demons and going to hell and surviving as a human being??? Am curious to see more answers thank you.

Old Post 09-22-13 05:40
WildWeasel
Resident Castlevania Super-Fanboy

It's called fiction, my friend, and fiction writers are pretty much free to redefine the rules as they see fit. Demons that can be killed by bullets? Sure, why not. Teleportation? Yeah, no problem. Human-inhabitable installations on a moon that is not remotely Earth-like? Why the hell not?

Old Post 09-22-13 05:47
WildWeasel is online now Profile || Click here to Send WildWeasel a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Zed
Forum Regular

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, let me point out once again that the actual story is not really important. Doom is mainly a game about killing and killing and killing. We can basically resume the game like this: If it moves, kill it; then go to the exit/next level. As has been discussed here before, there are no "real" places in Doom. Finally, as I told you before, if you are looking for a real story and a "logical" or "realistic" game, Doom is not for you.

Old Post 09-22-13 05:52
Piper Maru

The reason you can kill the demons is because you have rocket missiles.

Old Post 09-22-13 05:53
Piper Maru is offline Profile || Click here to Send Piper Maru a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Ralphis
IDL Founder

The story sucks and the game blows. Time to move on people

Old Post 09-22-13 05:56
Ralphis is offline Profile || Click here to Send Ralphis a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Rizera

Ralphis said:
The story sucks and the game blows. Time to move on people
Wait, Doom has a story?!

Old Post 09-22-13 06:19
Rizera is online now Profile || Click here to Send Rizera a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
arna051706

What is the story, sir?

Old Post 09-22-13 06:23
schwerpunk

the guns are actually saints. god, am i the only one who read the novels

Old Post 09-22-13 06:31
schwerpunk is offline Profile || Click here to Send schwerpunk a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
General Rainbow Bacon
may have been DoomHero85 at some point

Doom has a story? What is it?

Old Post 09-22-13 07:28
General Rainbow Bacon is online now Profile || Click here to Send General Rainbow Bacon a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
sgt dopey

This is the story form the manual verbatim

------------------------------------------------------------
THE STORY SO FAR
------------------------------------------------------------
You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in
combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted
a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon
civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl
Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the
Union Aerospace Corporation.

The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive
waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and
Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day
consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in
the rec room.

For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest
supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and
Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including
research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they have
been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos,
throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out
the other. Recently however, the Gateways have grown
dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them
have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form
of insanity--babbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that
breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full-
body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to
the folks became a full-time job. Latest military reports
state that the research is suffering a small set-back, but
everything is under control.

A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from
Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something
fraggin' evil is coming out of the Gateways! Computer
systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon
afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then,
attempts to establish contact with either moon have been
unsuccessful.

You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty
million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were
ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest
of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio
picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling
orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally, silence.
Seems your buddies are dead.

It's Up To You
Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off
the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have
been taken by the assault team leaving you with only a
pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma
rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your
way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of
pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the
landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial
firepower somewhere within the station.

As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you hear
animal-like growls echoing throughout the distant corridors.
They know you're here. There's no turning back now.

Old Post 09-22-13 07:33
sgt dopey is offline Profile || Click here to Send sgt dopey a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
printz
CRAZY DUMB ZEALOT

Obsidian said:
The plot of Doom is one big gap. :P
One big gap into the netherworld. This makes me think of Eternity portals (except that I can no longer do 4D stuff)

Old Post 09-22-13 07:39
printz is online now Profile || Click here to Send printz a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
GreyGhost
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

arna051706 said:
Just curious about how I am able to kill demons being that I am a mortal in the game? Also, am curious about how I am able to venture into hell being a mortal?
It's all explained in the novels

Old Post 09-22-13 07:56
GreyGhost is offline Profile || Click here to Send GreyGhost a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
darkreaver

Everyone is just feeding the troll. Stop it already.

Old Post 09-22-13 08:28
darkreaver is offline Profile || Click here to Send darkreaver a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Gez
Why don't I have a custom title by now?!

Captain Red said:
I always thought of doom's hell as being something like the warp from Warhammer 4000, that is to say, it's a dimension of chaos and malice rather then just where bad folks go when they die

THE HORRENDOUS VISAGE OF THE BIGGEST
DEMON YOU'VE EVER SEEN CRUMBLES BEFORE
YOU, AFTER YOU PUMP YOUR ROCKETS INTO
HIS EXPOSED BRAIN. THE MONSTER SHRIVELS
UP AND DIES, ITS THRASHING LIMBS
DEVASTATING UNTOLD MILES OF HELL'S
SURFACE.

YOU'VE DONE IT. THE INVASION IS OVER.
EARTH IS SAVED. HELL IS A WRECK. YOU
WONDER WHERE BAD FOLKS WILL GO WHEN THEY
DIE, NOW.
WIPING THE SWEAT FROM YOUR
FOREHEAD YOU BEGIN THE LONG TREK BACK
HOME. REBUILDING EARTH OUGHT TO BE A
LOT MORE FUN THAN RUINING IT WAS.

With the final sentence in that text, it would have been funny if Doom 3, instead of a reboot, had been a Sim City-like game.

Old Post 09-22-13 10:14
Gez is online now Profile || Click here to Send Gez a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Grazza
=/-

darkreaver said:
Everyone is just feeding the troll. Stop it already.
Quite.

Old Post 09-22-13 16:24
Grazza is online now Profile || Click here to Send Grazza a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote