User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > What if Doom was an Edgar Allan Poe poem?

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:30.   
Memfis
Forum Spammer

Boy, it would completely change the world of poetry.

Old Post 04-18-14 18:01
Memfis is online now Profile || Click here to Send Memfis a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
joe-ilya

Who?

Old Post 04-18-14 18:10
joe-ilya is offline Profile || Click here to Send joe-ilya a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

Educate yourself, child.

Old Post 04-18-14 18:30
Phobus is offline Profile || Click here to Send Phobus a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
scifista42

He (Edgar Allan Poe) would be even more famous than he was, and joe-ilya would know him very well.

Old Post 04-18-14 18:36
scifista42 is offline Profile || Click here to Send scifista42 a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MajorRawne

Poe's stories seem like they would be every bit as creepy as Lovecraft's, if he didn't couch them all in some kind of arcane mystico-English. I sometimes feel like I'm reading an elaborate spell ritual than a story. Still, it wouldn't affect the ultimate outcome:

"And John, to the unutterable condemnation of his earthly soul, became the demons."

Old Post 04-18-14 18:38
MajorRawne is offline Profile || Click here to Send MajorRawne a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Maes
I like big butts!

code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- T H E N I G H T B E F O R E *-D-*-*-O-*-*-O-*-*-M-* Written by: Hank Leukart (ap641@cleveland.freenet.edu) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- `Twas the night before DOOM, and all through the house, I had set up my multi-playing networks, each with a mouse. The networks were strung, with extra special care in hopes that DOOM, soon would be there. The children were nestled all snug in their beds, while visions of demons danced through their heads. And my computer's processor it was so quick, boy was I glad I bought that 486. When out on the Internet there was a Usenet posting, I dialed right in to see what it was boasting. Off to the news reader I flew like a hound, "Oh no," I cried! The news reader was down! Frustrated, bewildered, feeling really low, I leaned back to see what I heard out the window. When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a group of 6 cars, driving 60 I fear! With a big young driver, just look at him go! I knew in a moment, it must be John Romero! Over the speed limit, his band of cars came, And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name: "Now, Jay! Now, John! Now, Dave and Kevin! On, Adrian! On, Sandy! On, Shawn and Robert!" To the top of the driveway! Don't hit that wall! Now stop your car, stop your car, stop your car all! Leaving the car, he entered the house, Walking quietly, so as to not wake the spouse. He was dressed in a T-shirt, and a a pair of jeans too, I was unsure of what he was going to do. Boxes of DOOM he had flung on his back, and he looked like a peddler just opening his pack. Those boxes - how they sparkled! The shrink-wrap so tight! The character was drawn on the front, just ready to fight! The Chain Saw and Shotgun he held in his hand, Where was the BFG9000?: The best gun in the land. And then I saw it, strapped to his back, Along with a copy of the "Official" DOOM FAQ! A wink of John's eye and a twist of his head, Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread. He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work, Installed it on the network, then turned with a jerk. And placing a hand into his jeans, out came his keys - oh how they gleamed! He sprang to his car, to the id team gave a whistle, and away they all drove, like DOOM's launching of a missile. But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight, "DEMONS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A HELLISH NIGHT!"

Old Post 04-18-14 19:12
Maes is offline Profile || Click here to Send Maes a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MajorRawne

I actually love the person who wrote that.

Old Post 04-18-14 19:18
MajorRawne is offline Profile || Click here to Send MajorRawne a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Phobus
Forum Staple

He's the guy who taught me mapping (indirectly, through his Hacker's Guide to Doom) and wrote the "Official" Doom FAQ he mentioned. Very much a big deal in the early days of Doom.

Old Post 04-18-14 19:55
Phobus is offline Profile || Click here to Send Phobus a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MajorRawne

So you actually love him too. Wonder what he's up to now?

Old Post 04-18-14 20:12
Bloodshedder
Spellchecker

He's a television producer/writer and travel blogger

Old Post 04-18-14 20:24
Bloodshedder is offline Profile || Click here to Send Bloodshedder a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Magnetick
Mini-Member

Wait... I think he is having an affair! Who's cheating on who!? Find out tonight only on ABC Family!

Old Post 04-20-14 05:03
Magnetick is offline Profile || Click here to Send Magnetick a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Krispy

Suddenly there came a sound
As if some one gently rapping, tapping on the airlock door.
"Tis a demon," I muttered,
"Scratching at my airlock door.
Tis a demon, nothing more."
Quoth the lost soul, "Nevermore!"

Old Post 04-20-14 10:50
Krispy is offline Profile || Click here to Send Krispy a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Xaser
Forum Staple

I'm saddened that the title doesn't read "What if Doom was an Edgar Allan Poem?"

Save a syllable, save a life.

Old Post 04-20-14 11:06
Xaser is offline Profile || Click here to Send Xaser a Private Message Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kmxexii

MajorRawne said:
Poe's stories seem like they would be every bit as creepy as Lovecraft's, if he didn't couch them all in some kind of arcane mystico-English. I sometimes feel like I'm reading an elaborate spell ritual than a story. Still, it wouldn't affect the ultimate outcome:

"And John, to the unutterable condemnation of his earthly soul, became the demons."

Lovecraft struck me as way worse than Poe when it came to that kind of self-indulgence.

Old Post 04-20-14 12:02
kmxexii is offline Profile || Click here to Send kmxexii a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
BloodyAcid

I'd wait for the expanded levels and the 4th episode.

Old Post 04-20-14 18:02
BloodyAcid is offline Profile || Click here to Send BloodyAcid a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Piper Maru

I can see the next big WAD project now. Doom The Way Edgar Allan Poe Did, followed by the sequel Doom II The Way H.P Lovecraft Did.

There were demons in the base, oh yes, and they drove John Stalvern out of his fucking mind just by their sheer existence. So much so that he became a zombie.

Old Post 04-20-14 18:21
Piper Maru is offline Profile || Click here to Send Piper Maru a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Clonehunter
Forum Staple

I think we more or less suffered The Fall of the House of iD, didn't we?

Old Post 04-20-14 18:55
Clonehunter is offline Profile || Click here to Send Clonehunter a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MajorRawne

Lovecraft was extremely self indulgent in some of his work, particularly The Hound, which is much derided but was apparently over-written on purpose as Lovecraft's way of mocking the elaborately written tales of the day.

Thing is though, Lovecraft's best work is actually easy to read and interpret, if you skip the hundreds of words used to describe old woods. I find even the best of Poe's work to be heavy going to the point where it detracts from the awesomeness.

This is not to knock Poe. He was at the top of his game. I just find Lovecraft easier to read.

Old Post 04-20-14 20:20
Piper Maru

Lovecraft is definitely one of my favorite writers, his cosmic vista's of terror are incredible. I think I need to go find some more Lovecraft themed wads.

Old Post 04-20-14 20:37
Piper Maru is offline Profile || Click here to Send Piper Maru a Private Message Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
kmxexii

MajorRawne said:
Lovecraft was extremely self indulgent in some of his work, particularly The Hound, which is much derided but was apparently over-written on purpose as Lovecraft's way of mocking the elaborately written tales of the day.

Thing is though, Lovecraft's best work is actually easy to read and interpret, if you skip the hundreds of words used to describe old woods. I find even the best of Poe's work to be heavy going to the point where it detracts from the awesomeness.

This is not to knock Poe. He was at the top of his game. I just find Lovecraft easier to read.

Poe also died roughly 40 years before Lovecraft was even born; I wonder how much of your difficulty stems from the antiquity of his authorial language.

Old Post 04-20-14 21:36
kmxexii is offline Profile || Click here to Send kmxexii a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
MajorRawne

It's the antiquity. My grasp of English is pretty sharp (even if it does tend to focus on PSX Doom and fart jokes), so it took me by surprise when I found myself getting a headache through the Masque of the Red Death. It seems that "cosmic horror" requires a certain... I don't want to say pretentiousness, but it sometimes comes across that way.

Old Post 04-20-14 21:47
Doominator2
Forum Regular

Whats with all these "What if" threads popping up recently?

Old Post 04-21-14 02:29
Doominator2 is offline Profile || Click here to Send Doominator2 a Private Message Email || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote