User Profile | New Blog | F.A.Q | Privacy Policy | Member List | Search Forums | Register | Forums Home
Doomworld Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.5 Doomworld Forums > Morons > Post Hell > Napster must die

Author
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:43.   
deadnail
i define my reality through misery

Do you use Napster? Or did you, I mean? Well, you probably won't ever again. Take a read.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/20428.html

Pow. Napster has converted MP3 into something even more controlled then WMA.

Even worse, they say .nap like it is a unique file format.

Those fucking idiots!

Have you ever converted an MP3 to a VQF to a WAV? It sounds like shit. You can't re-encode a file, the sound quality is utterly horrible when you do it!

MP3 damages files.
VQF damages files.
WMA damages files.
OGG damages files.

But they all damage them in a different way, that's why they're different formats. So, if you use all four formats you end up with a file that SHOULD be CD quality but instead is just a few sectors full of dogshit.

So if you want to try Ogg, use a fresh wav... don't do it with an MP3.

But still, is Napster going to just DESTROY ALL OF YOUR MP3s AND REPLACE THEM WITH IT'S OWN FORMAT? Or is it just going to destroy it when you try to send it to someone? Or is it just a new form of id3 tag that is going to be hacked into submission within fourteen seconds?

Well, now Napster is going to be even slower when it's assembling and disassembling your music before and after transfers. And the sound quality is going to be worse since it is introducing its own format's damage on top of the already-existing MP3 damage.

BTW, have you ever heard of WinMX?

It looks like Napster.
Its freeware, no subscription.
It has a menu of servers to choose from.

You can search for anything, not just MP3s. You can also search across multiple servers.

Hey, let's all try WinMX. Fuck Napster and fuck the RIAA.

Last I knew it was http://www.winmx.com

Oh, and um, Doom rocks.

Old Post 07-17-01 13:49
deadnail is offline Profile || Click here to Send deadnail a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

Hey, let's all try WinMX.
Uh, no. WinMX sucks. I'm curious if anybody has ever been able to download a file on it FROM ANYBODY OTHER THAN ME. The last time I tried it, I must have tried taking files from over 100 different users before giving up. They're always "busy". Even if they have no files in Queue, they're still "busy". I can add the file I want to their Queue, but the hell I'm waiting around for that to start. I've put files in "Queue" before. This is how Queue works: display "waiting for response..." until the other user signs off, then display "connection failed". Overall, I've managed to transfer three files out of some 200 attempted transfers. A total of 8 transfers started, but WinMX pulled the old Napster trick of dropping the transfer rate to 0.00k/s for maybe 10-20 minutes before resuming and disconnecting or disconnecting alltogether for no apparent reason other than the application is PURE CODING GARBAGE. I used to think Napster was horrible, but WinMX is pathetic. Transfers at least started in Napster, even though 19 out of 20 never completed for a list of reasons that would waste my entire webspace posting. Naturally, everybody can start as many of their miserable 0.15k/s file transfers from me as they want, but nobody else can put up a connection for me to take from. How the hell can anybody use crap like that? 99% of it's users are inaccessible. WinMX has to be the most useless application besides Netscape ever created. Even though Netscape can never display pages right, it at least takes you there in the first place. WinMX also has enough other obnoxious "features" that it's no longer on my hard drive.

Old Post 07-17-01 13:56
Lüt is offline Profile || Click here to Send Lüt a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lüt
Administrator

Oh wait, I totally forgot the subject: Napster's still alive?

Idiots don't know when to give up.

Old Post 07-17-01 13:59
Lüt is offline Profile || Click here to Send Lüt a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote
Lord FlatHead
man overboard

I used WinMX for a while, but the problem is you can't tell with much certainty if you will get the file you're trying to download at a decent speed.

If you want to share files (MP3's, video, haX0red copies of Photoshop, whatever) I'd go for Gnotella (yes, with an "o") or KaZaA.

And DOOM is going to rock and shock the nation like the emancipation proclamation. d00d.

Old Post 07-17-01 14:42
Lord FlatHead is offline Profile || Click here to Send Lord FlatHead a Private Message Email || Homepage || Search || Add Buddy IP || Edit/Delete || Quote