Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Odamex Saturday Nitro #1

The first official Odamex Saturday Nitro will take place this Saturday evening. The WAD used this week will be the latest entry from the popular Doomworld organized series, 32in24-10. Expect the boundaries of Doom multiplayer to be pushed to the limit as the server will feature a maximum player limit of 100!

WAD: 32in24-10
Maps: 32 (1-32)
Mode: FFA (40 Fraglimit)
Server: [Odamex.Net]

Date: Saturday, August 20th @ 8pm EASTERN

Be there Saturday night for a lot of easy to digest fun and a unique chance at making Doom history.

Eastern? Which one? I'm having a tough time trying to figure out which time-zone you're actually talking about.

The third Odamex news post within nine days? With all due respect, I always had the feeling that DW was somewhat neutral towards each port, but this just looks very biased and does not seem right.
All three news items could have been part of a single news post from the start. If the latest Nitro post is worth a separate news post even when it was mentioned in the last Nitro thread already then it is only fair to post FNF, ZDS and FYBO each week as well.
Sorry to say this, but it looks to me like a really cheap trick to attract attention and it is really not worthy of a great project like Odamex to resort to such measures.

The thing is that I don't see any rejected FNF, ZDS or FYBO news here. Ralphis is busy promoting Odamex, good for him. If there aren't similar promotion for Skulltag or ZDaemon events, it's not because Doomworld is silencing them, it's just because nobody is doing that.

Besides, the announcement of a new version certainly deserved to be a separate item at least; since it is a different subject entirely.

Also, nothing says that it will remain a weekly news thing. If it were, my personal opinion would be to reject the news on the rational that there's altdeath for this kind of things. But if it's just the announcement and a first-time reminder, there's really no need to make a fuss about it.

My sister's wedding is tomorrow. If I manage to log on, I will be severely drunk. Fair warning.

There certainly won't be weekly news posts about it. I'm just trying to get the word out, and it's great that someone else is as enthusiastic about it. Each of these posts have linked to another forum, which is where you will find all the future Nitro posts. But how would you know that if I didn't tell you? :)

This very well may be the first time I rear my ugly head in Doom's multiplayer... If that's the case, I'm prepared to die a lot.

If there are players like Snakes who don't have that much experience with Doom multiplayer, I highly recommend participating in Odamex Nitro. You'll get a lot of experience on some underplayed maps, meet new people, learn new tactics, really it'll be a lot of fun!

Snakes said:

This very well may be the first time I rear my ugly head in Doom's multiplayer... If that's the case, I'm prepared to die a lot.

I think I'll be showing up for this myself, though I've never been interested much by multiplayer Doom. At least it'll give me a solid excuse to finally check out Odamex, which I've been meaning to do for a while now.

I am also prepared to die a lot.

Edward850 said:

Eastern? Which one? I'm having a tough time trying to figure out which time-zone you're actually talking about.

For those of us in Eastern Australia it's 10am Sunday and should give the netcode a good test. I might poke my nose in and prepare to die a lot.

There were a few technical difficulties, but Odamex Nitro is up and running @ 66.170.3.2:10739

See you there!!!

Odamex said:

No available video device

Wonderful, there's finally people actually using this thing and it doesn't work. I've tried editing the config file, any advice?

I drove all the way home from New Jersey (about an hour and a half drive) to make it at least fashionably late to this event. Thank you everyone that participated for a very overwhelming and fulfilling experience. Did not expect more than 5 people to be playing by the time i got there. Anxiously awaiting future Odamex Nitros.

Scet said:

Wonderful, there's finally people actually using this thing and it doesn't work. I've tried editing the config file, any advice?

I think proclaiming that it is a poorly made program isn't very fair considering it worked for 25+ other people in the game tonight, playing on Windows, Mac, Linux, and the XBox.

Can you give any information about your system? Did you try a reboot? This is the first time that I have ever heard of this error so I'm interested in trying to get your issue resolved. I'm not so sure it is an issue with Odamex but providing as much information as possible can maybe help lead to a quick solution for you

That was fun, my first Doom deathmatch in quite a few years. Unfortunately, I had to drive somewhere, so I had to leave and I probably missed the best of it, but I'm looking forward to participating in more games in the future, even if I'm mostly just cannon fodder for the better players.

i had to quit pretty soon, because oda (server?) got unplayably laggy for me once more than 20 players were in. i certainly didn't expect such a massive attendance, heh. the maps were surprisingly good at soaking even that many players though and timeofdeath's map probably requires 20 at minimum. :)

Ralphis said:

I think proclaiming that it is a poorly made program isn't very fair

Yes, you're right. I was frustrated when I wrote that.

Anyway I now remember that SDL will no longer work with the default DirectDraw driver on my computer. This is a video driver issue for my crappy built-in ATI device and there is no updated version for it.

Is there any way to edit the config to get Odamex to use GDI?

Scet said:

Is there any way to edit the config to get Odamex to use GDI?

Scet, you can either pass the -gdi command line parameter to Odamex when starting it up or you can set the environment variable SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib. If you want to go with the later, the section "Adding or Editing Environment Variables" on this page looks to be a good tutorial: http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/environment.htm

Hope we can get things working for you!

I'm glad it was such a success! There won't be any server or lag issues next week, so hopefully that didn't turn anyone off. I was surprised at how many people showed up on IRC, so I'd like to encourage everyone to join #odamex on the OFTC network before each session! You may also want to register on the Odamex Forums. See you next week!

dew said:

i had to quit pretty soon, because oda (server?) got unplayably laggy for me once more than 20 players were in. i certainly didn't expect such a massive attendance, heh. the maps were surprisingly good at soaking even that many players though and timeofdeath's map probably requires 20 at minimum. :)

If anyone has the same lag issues that dew had it may be that you have an old config file. You should reset your config through the Odamex menus or check the "rate" value in your client.

Pull down the console and type

rate
If the value is not 200,000 please type into the console:
set rate 200000
The old default value of 10,000 is way too low for the amount of traffic that can be expected in Odamex 0.5.4.