Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

absolute least favorite maps in doom or doom 2?

kmxexii said:

The only thing that comes to mind is the teleporter clusterfuck of the Unholy Cathedral, but I haven't touched the iwads in a while.

Oh man I was trying to get the name of that one down!

That one too, that cause alot of annoyances, and was just so boring to get through.

Of all the maps, it's probably E4M6.

* hellbent gets slapped around a bit with large trout

Has to be the most annoyingly hardest map in both games with a possible exception of map30.

Any map where I have to wait insanely long for large elevators. This usually just refers to Downtown and Crusher.

Wagi said:

Any map where I have to wait insanely long for large elevators. This usually just refers to Downtown and Crusher.

Yeah I know what you mean. I really hate the elevators in doom 2. Whats worse is waiting for them to even begin going up.

E3M7 was scarier to me because there were fewer monsters. What I already found to be an unnerving level was made more so by it not being a non-stop action blowfest, and instead leaving you to get lost in the marble hellpalace to get jumped by its infesty denizens. Definitely one of my highest rated on scary factor.

And honestly playing E3M7 made me scared to death of whatever boss they decided to throw at me after that, so I decided to just run at whatever it was with BFG blasting, and it worked. And that's why I don't hate E3M8 either.

Oh and Chasm is cool.

Hellbent said:

* hellbent gets slapped around a bit with large trout

Has to be the most annoyingly hardest map in both games with a possible exception of map30.

* is holding trout

I spent so much time trying to beat E4M6 on UV on Xbox it became one of my favorites.

Only MAP24.
I used to hate MAP08 but have grown to like it.
I'm surprised my favourite id level (E4M2) is hated by so many players.

Hellbent said:

aw dude thts my favorite doom level, personally i don't have any i can truely say i dislike, but if i had to choose 1 i would probably say its map 20 of doom2, gotchya, becuz i always have a tendency to underestimate the difficulty of it

MAP19: The Citadel used to never make sense to me when I was a kid, I recall getting far into the game without cheats up until that point and getting stuck.

My least favourite level in Doom:

e2m3 (Refinery). Boring, cramped, uninspired layout, and repeatedly forces you to wade through toxic slime.

Doom II: map16 (Suburbs). Ugly and boring box map. It's supposed to be an urban setting, but they put absolutely no effort in it, so it feels like a backyard with some random semi-hellsih architecture pieces scattered around.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

For me I can't stand map08. I always hardly memorize the route of this map and ammo is limited. I don't like this map at all, so I always skip it, or play with cheats on.

Tricks and Traps? You don't need to memorize a route there, it's a non-linear map where many areas are optional. But it's not confusing either because everything is ceneterd around the octogonal starting room in the middle of the map. I always liked it for the gameplay diversion.

The Chasm seems a love or hate affair. I love it for the gloomy atmosphere and the cool "base inside a giant cave" setting.

DooM: E1M9 I hate that map so much its ugly and redundant too many hitscanners that wear you down so much if you enter the level with 200% health and armour you most likely will have half by the end of it I always avoid that map because you have nothing to gain in it and its no fun to play.

GBA version of E3M1, pistol start is ridiculously hard

E3M5 teleportclusterfuck, I used to get lost in it so much when I play it now I try to beat it as fast posible.

episode 4 entirely

DooM2: the chasm, nuff said.

DeathevokatioN said:

The Chasm is awesome, one of my favorites.

Give me a high five! We're the only people who love this map here.

Anyway, I'm actually listing maps I hate them, not least favorite:

Doom:-------------------------Doom II:
E1M4--------------------------MAP04
E2M3--------------------------MAP05
E2M5--------------------------MAP12
E2M9--------------------------MAP13
E3M1--------------------------MAP16
E3M6--------------------------MAP19
E4M4--------------------------MAP21
E4M5--------------------------MAP27

I like map24 fine. I suppose I am a bit of a masochist when it comes to level design though.

Also, how can you hate E1M4? :(

I don't think I've ever skipped a map in any IWAD or PWAD during a regular run regardless of how bad it is, but I certainly have a list of most hated maps. Though hate's a very strong word:

e2m9 - The concept works for a secret level, but the design is pretty woeful.
e3m1 - Scrapheap worthy. Fisting demons in tunnels? Not my cup of tea, Winston. m9, by contrast, is laudable!
e3m8 - Self-explanatory.
e4m3 - It gets points for being open plan like e3m6, but its monothematic tendencies and stairway/hallway obsession make it all too mundane for my liking.
e4m7 - The optional areas are somewhat worthwhile, but the design is fairly poor, and it doesn't stand up in the m7 slot.

map03 - It might be all that metal and brown, but I always seem to hit a wall of depression whenever I enter this map. The music doesn't help all that much either.
map12 - Flat.
map15 - Flattest. But with added hellslime.
map16 - This map takes the e3m6 design and makes an even poorer job of it; an impressive feat considering the lessons they - sorry - he, could have learnt between maps.
map21 - Nirvana!
map27 - Library and corpse chamber aside, this one is fairly ordinary.
map30 - The appearance and wakeup sound still give me the creeps (Requiem map23), but the level and monster concept leave me feeling cheated and frustrated.
map31 - It might appeal to some as a secret level sure, but not this cat, Jack.
map32 - Same deal. e3m9 made for a far superior encounter and threw a level in to boot, but this is pure, unadulterated letdown.

Surprised how Chasm is hated by many. Hey guys, looks that you just hate difficulties.

But I like when it's reasonably hard. Chasm is awesome, the idea is just brilliant.

The worst map in D2 is map01. And it's kinda the least great. Too small, not much fun, not much monsters...

st.alfonzo said:

That map is anything but flat.

st.alfonzo said:

printz said:

That map is anything but flat.

And there is no slime in it.

Gentlemen, please! Flat as in lost effervescence; without interest or excitement. Hellslime as in the source code comments for sector effects 5 and 16.

No, don't touch that handle. I'll show myself out thank you!

E2M3, as many others have said, was always just really boring for me. Playing it always felt like a waste of time, especially compared to the levels bookending it which by comparison are challenging and atmospheric. It's not that I hate the level, but I always wish I could just skip on past it.

E3M7 is even more mind-numbingly boring for me, it's so flat and monotonous and has both a stupid rad-suit maze and a stupider door/teleport sequence whose only challenge factor is trying to distinguish one boring SP_HOT1 or GSTONE1 room from another.

E3M1 gets an honorable mention for being an incredibly half-assed first level, but I can't say it's a "least favorite" because it's just too short to be a bother.

Doom II has a lot of kind of boringish blandish levels that I still somehow don't mind or even enjoy playing...such is the magic of Sandy Petersen I guess. That said, MAP08 is pretty dumb but at least it goes fast if you don't bother with all the extra/secret areas. I've always though MAP21 was a disgusting little vomit spot of a level that probably would've been tolerable had it been made in more than ten minutes, and even though it's short the gameplay is so poor that it's still a pain in the ass to play through. Also MAP30 is kind of a lame final boss in my opinion. I just can't take a giant face on a wall seriously as an enemy.

Tricks and Traps is also one of my favorites, atleast it's different, the scene with the barons and the cyberdemon has stuck with me ever since my childhood as the most memorable part of Doom 2, along with the opening of Dead Simple, and it's fun to play as opposed to the whole of UD.

C30N9 said:

Give me a high five! We're the only people who love this map here.

Neither of you love it as much as me.

I made my own version for a Doom E2 replacement way back when :(

The narrow walkways is the only bits I don't like. The worst one being the exit with the lost souls, if they knock you over or if you go too fast you're screwed.

I hated every level in episode 4.

Usual playthrough:
Doing good so far...
Suddenly, barons.

Barons are the most boring enemies in the game for me, and as soon as I saw the baron horde in level 1, I knew I was in for a pile of shit.

Rambosee said:

I hated every level in episode 4.

Usual playthrough:
Doing good so far...
Suddenly, barons.

Barons are the most boring enemies in the game for me, and as soon as I saw the baron horde in level 1, I knew I was in for a pile of shit.

Yeah, I mean, baron's arent too hard, just take far too much to kill to show up as often as they do.

Thats what I like about the hell knights, but even then they get bothersome.

Barons make for a great in-fighting monster, especially in Doom 2. Especially if you want to distract a cyberdemon for an easy 2-shot kill.

Snakes said:

Barons make for a great in-fighting monster, especially in Doom 2. Especially if you want to distract a cyberdemon for an easy 2-shot kill.

That's probably the only thing the baron is useful for, other than a very annoying distraction.

I found the baron usage questionable in E4M2, which would have otherwise have been an awesome map. Not to say It's not awesome because of it but barons were used in places where they simply were annoying to fight. The plasma gun ledge, the yellow key switch, and at the bottom of that ledge in that SP_ROCK cave, especially since a good melee hit will level you in a single blow.

To answer the topics question I don't really look at any of the Doom maps in a negative connotation. There are either good maps and then better then awesome maps.