Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

I've ultimately completed the IWADs (1, 2 & Final) more than any PWAD ever.

I save-scum like hell and refuse to play on a lower difficulty than UV, especially on maps/mapsets designed to be extremely difficult to all but the best players. But if settings are supported and I really like the maps but seriously suck at them, I'll go no lower than skill 2.

I never beat the IWADs on the default or lower difficulties, including any PWAD I've done. But I'm going to.

I never pistol started anything. But I'm going to.

I don't play with -fast or attempted nightmare mode (except the latter when I was playing the Doom shareware and recall never making it out of Toxin Refinery).

WADs like 10 Sectors, Community Chest 3 and Congestion/Claustrophobia 1024 that wanted you to pistol start all the levels I played consecutively because fuck 'em. (And when the mapper was a dick by force-killing the player at the end of a level so you have to pistol start on the next I just "cheated" with changemap command in ZDoom. I don't like losing my equipment.)

Whenever I played Ultimate DooM or DooM 2 when I first got into dooming, I was really bugged by explosive barrels with sloshing contents in the eerie-ness of the game. It just bugged me. I was genuinely disturbed by the fact, that the toxic waste was sloshing about in a dark forgotten/cleared area of the level, when nothing was causing it to slosh. As I got older, I didn't mind it as much, and it only ever bugs me when I play Ultimate DooM or DooM 2. Final DooM doesn't count.

Face23785 said:

In fact, instead of playing all those levels I haven't played yet, right now I just started working on playing all the original levels from a pistol start....

Side-topic: Are they all beatable from a pistol start?

I remember seeing someone on Youtube who completed the whole game on UV with pistol starts.

I did start trying it, but i got to E2M4 and got bored. I might pick that up again soon.

Far as I know, all IWAD maps are completable through pistol starts. Some are quite difficult though. On the other hand it gives you a whole new appreciation for the game.

I've never played the registered version of Doom, either the sharewre, or Ultimate Doom on my iPod touch or Xbox.
I've never played Plutonia, and never completed Evilution.
I've never played any Doom engine game on a DOS computer.
I never got into Doom 3.
I never beat the Icon of Sin without mouselook.
I only beat the Cyberdemon in Ultimate Doom with my brother in Co-Op.
I rarely play Co-Op.
I never beat Knee Deep in the Dead past I'm too young to die.
Arch-Viles actually scare me.
I play Hacx more than Doom I.
I've only played Hexen on a Adobe Flash port.
While I treat the Super Shotgun like it's a BFG with infinite ammo, I treat the normal shotgun like it's a sniper rifle.

Dr. Durr said:

I've never played the registered version of Doom, either the sharewre, or Ultimate Doom on my iPod touch or Xbox.
I've never played Plutonia, and never completed Evilution.
I've never played any Doom engine game on a DOS computer.
I never got into Doom 3.
I never beat the Icon of Sin without mouselook.
I only beat the Cyberdemon in Ultimate Doom with my brother in Co-Op.
I rarely play Co-Op.
I never beat Knee Deep in the Dead past I'm too young to die.
Arch-Viles actually scare me.
I play Hacx more than Doom I.
I've only played Hexen on a Adobe Flash port.
While I treat the Super Shotgun like it's a BFG with infinite ammo, I treat the normal shotgun like it's a sniper rifle.

How long have you been playing Doom?

finnw said:

How long have you been playing Doom?

The Knee Deep in the Dead one is from laziness.
I've only been playing for a year or two, and just got into the modding.

well when i have low health and can t find any medikits or stimpacks, i just iddqd twice to get 100 health again

-It wasn't until I started reviewing maps for /newstuff Chronicles this year that I started regularly playing DOOM II PWADS on UV. I'd usually always do them on HMP. (However, I always do DOOM 1 WADs on UV, since they don't have all the cheap monsters DOOM II does.)

-I've only beaten Plutonia on NTR.

-I can't seem to beat the final boss of Resurrection of Evil on Veteran skill.

-I probably play more `94 WADs than anything else, and I generally try to avoid WADs with lots of source port features, feeling they're too "detached" from what DOOM should be.

-In regards to the above, I've never played either Deus Vult and have no inclination to do so.

-I enjoy school-themed WADs, and actually really enjoy King REoL's Satan's School of Warfare and replay it semi-often. (It's tons of fun with ScoreDoom.)

-I still don't know how to reach E4M9.

I was about to tsk-tsk you for not knowing how to access E4M9, but it's been so long since I played Episode 4, I can't even remember how to do it.

@MEGAMUR: At this point, I'd have to wonder why you haven't been curious enough to use a walkthrough or something to find out. I'd imagine you've played this series for several years. Not even a little bit curious?

Of course I'm curious. However, one of my favorite aspects of DOOM is how I've never found everything. I don't think I've done 100% Secrets runs of all the levels ever, so it excites me to know that there's still things I haven't seen in the game, even after all this time. Hopefully finding E4M9 will be a nice surprise for me some day. :)

Yeah, it's more fun to find secrets yourself. Just recently I found a new secret on E1M3 near the exit to E1M9. I mean, I already knew about the secret level exit, but not the secret that's in that area...

Yeah, that's the one! And the only reason I found it is because I was playing Dragonsbrethren's Jaguar Doom TC, where the secret is quite a bit more visible...

If the secret isn't as simple as a slightly discolored wall part or even a candle sitting in front of a piece of wall, odds are I'm not gonna find it without help.

Redeemer812 said:

Just a second ago I couldn't remember how to get to any of the secret levels in the Ultimate Doom.

I know exactly how to get to E1M9, have no idea how to get to E3M9 without cheating, I think I know how to get to E2M9, and I do know how to get to E4M9.

- Before I had seen the Icon of Sin (I was a kid back then), my friend told me that the boss was throwing somekind of "boxes" at you. I thought that these boxes were made out of sectors.

- I don't play Doom 2 original maps too often, because they have depressing sky texture.
- I have been mapping for Doom 2 since 2004, but haven't released a single wad yet.
- I finished building my one-man-made 32-level megawad in 2009, but I haven't still released it.

I'myourtarget said:

You knew what sectors were when you were a kid when you first played Doom 2?

To be fair, not too long after playing Doom 2 for the first time I was introduced to DEU, which taught me a lot about what goes into maps, so that's not too far-fetched.

I knew what sectors were in 95 or 96. That means I was 15 or 16. I was using DCK and wintex to make my own sprites and textures... so I knew what sectors were when I was a kid.

NiuHaka said:

I knew what sectors were in 95 or 96. That means I was 15 or 16. I was using DCK and wintex to make my own sprites and textures... so I knew what sectors were when I was a kid.

Oh, if you're counting 15 or 16 as a kid then that's not as impressive. I'm 14 now and I've known about sectors for a couple years now.

Phobus, I never said I didn't believe him (or that it was far-fetched), I was just impressed that he knew about them so early on.

arzca said:

I finished building my one-man-made 32-level megawad in 2009, but I haven't still released it.

Release it!

arzca said:

- I finished building my one-man-made 32-level megawad in 2009, but I haven't still released it.

What are you waiting for? Hop to it!

Confession time. This happened to me just today.

So I came flying around a corner on a particular TNT level and I stumbled into a cyberdemon. And it startled me so much that I jumped.

Now normally this is not something that should be subject to a Doom confessional post. However, when I mention that I was in DoomBuilder 3D mode at the time, it does make it a little embarassing.

I'myourtarget said:

Oh, if you're counting 15 or 16 as a kid...

Sorry kid. You are a kid until you vote and actually care about it and/or the hair on your back has stopped growing.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

... However, when I mention that I was in DoomBuilder 3D mode at the time, it does make it a little embarassing.

Hahaha! I love it.