Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RjY

ngmvmt1 demos [-complevel 9]

insane heh, nah
map11 max in 17:50
the end sucks, that is my worst fight vs cybers and cacos in all my attemts (ignoring when cybers killed me), the demo was so good and i played that part defensively :(, but the demo is good for me :D
With this demo, i finish my plans for ng (a demo in all the maps), 21 lags for me D:, now only improve some speeds (10, 13) and beat someone if he does it with one of my maxes, after that, ng is done for me

Spotted leftover monster on HUD and almost went berserk. :P

Iddt*2 takes too much time, just scrolling around wasted me a minute in hh04-28XX.

Speaking of this, I actually noticed something that's been bugging me for a while. Why does idbeholdl work during recording? At least it does so with prb+, so I'm not sure about vanilla. And demo file shows no traces of this being used, light level seems unchanged.

I would think tweaking light levels have either never been considered cheating, or too problematic to stop, as you can just crank the gamma/brightness up directly on your monitor. PrBoom+ even starts with gamma level 4 as the default one, which led me to believe something was seriously off with its renderer for a long time, heh...

Gamma 4 is reasonable imo, I dislike when darkness comes into play. Heh, I recall constantly moving with jalousie on windows so more light gets onto screen when I played with vanilla (obviously with monitor set to highest possible brightness). But this... I don't know. Light goggles are much more than gamma 4, it would trivialise maps like vile flesh map 14.

On every computer I've tried Doom on, there's a wide difference between gamma level 4 and gamma level 0, 1 or even 2. Gamma level 4 trivializes anything but the most extreme lightning differences, and as a result most maps are significantly easier to navigate. I don't remember ever running into a map where darkness was a challenge or an issue while playing at gamma level 4.

I usually play with 3/4, and no matter what just can't get myself to like playing it in darker (intended?) way. I'd still like to know if this is just prb+ possibility or you could always use idbeholdl in doom while recording.

OT:
4 max 3:14

ng04-314.zip

lightamp is BY FAR more powerful than just gamma4, because it ignores darkness instead of making it grey. it's pretty damn hard to recognize, say, spectres in a dark tunnel, no matter what your gamma is, but lightamp will trivialize the task. on the other hand, so will opengl AND gamma. bright opengl is like half a lightamp by itself.

j4rio said:

I usually play with 3/4

same, I prefer lvl3 gamma, cus 0/1/2 are 90% a bit too dark, while gamma4 spoils the eventual mapper's intention of creation shadows or special effects in the level in my opinion. it's 2 bright to see any difference then.

j4rio said:

I'd still like to know if this is just prb+ possibility or you could always use idbeholdl in doom while recording.

It's always worked. None of the cheats are disabled during recording, but most will make the resulting demo desync. IDDT and IDBEHOLDL are the exceptions.

wtf! I can't believe you can use litegoggles while recording. I assume everyone doesn't though, so that's ok.

I use gamma4 and 80% brightness on my old "box" monitor from 2000 (are those CRTs?), and all my maps were designed for that. It doesn't seem to me like it's ultra bright or anything, but I guess it's hard to compare with everyone's different monitors and eyes.

1ntru said:

MAP11 UV-Fast in 17:49

I always find slaughter levels fun to watch and fast monsters makes it twice the entertainment. That said, I hope you enjoy this.

Awesome.

ArmouredBlood said:

Awesome.

Thanks a lot! :D

blob1024 said:

is it me only or the audio in that level is a crap "ringing" screwed tone?

Blob, the music for that level is really cool! Youtube view for anyone that can't watch it properly on PrBoom:

1ntru said:

Thanks a lot! :D

Blob, the music for that level is really cool! Youtube view for anyone that can't watch it properly on PrBoom: (vid)

Have you listed to the whole 49 minutes or so? It's so crazy. Was gonna hold off talking about it til I had something to show, but I've got an idea and a bit of layout for a map that will (hopefully) get the whole song in. Mostly teleport ambushes though, no crazy 50k+ linedef monstrosity hahah. Perhaps some portals to other dimensions might not be a bad idea though ...

You could just put it into map 21, althought it would be a bit unfitting, but surely more fitting than current midi it in. It would play whole / almost whole even in a demo (:wink:).

Also I wonder how (if) movement 2 is coming along. You got over 100 demos so I hope that's more than enough motivation. :P

But I like the midi in 21. Hahaha. And yeah, I haven't worked on 2 due to a drought in fight ideas, and some games, and thinking maybe I should actually work on uacultra 2 instead =/ Getting some ideas going with school back in session - I think it's the lack of sleep combined with my habits of ultra-focus then sudden defocus and back in class that gives me the state of mind for fights. Then again I've made some pretty crappy maps (map03 anyone?) so I guess it's hit and miss. Hopefully get some more progress between classes tomorrow/after school. Anyway, I need sleeeeeeeeeeep .....