Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

tech licensing

Taken from the interview VE had today with Arithmetic Studios:

Voodoo Extreme -- What are your thoughts on the exisiting licensable 3D engine technologies on the market today (id, Epic, Monolith, NetImmerse engines)? What's you take on the big 3D engine war?

Robert Holm -- I am a proponent of engine developers, or game developers who create licensable technology. I think it is a good thing for the industry. As for us we have been engaging in discussion and negotiation with Epic, id, and Lithtech. It's fairly interesting seeing how each does business in their own way. Our interests are in near photo realistic visuals for our title, so it's important we choose well. The choice may come down to simply who will offer better support, however I think in reality it's going to be who simply has the better product, visually and functionally. The only way to judge this is by exposure to the tech and past performance by the company who creates it. So far Lithtech has shown us the best support and interest in making things happen. It's difficult to gather the required information from id while Epic so far holds my highest interest tech wise, however that may change, it's open season at this point. It's like buying a new house.

"It's difficult to gather the required information from id while Epic so far holds my highest interest tech wise, however that may change, it's open season at this point."

The New Doom engine is not ready guys - WAKE UP!

Epic and Lintech technologies SUCK!

Id probably showed them the Q2 engine as they are still a young company :)

Maybe in terms of support and intrest Lintech and Epic are better, but their technologies are not on par with id's.

I don't think so...
the Unreal engine is very good and versatile and most games are made with it today...

maga - compare the Unreal engine to Q3A engine.

Q3A engine (with new terrain support) blows Unreal engine away in all aspects.

gimme one GOOD game made with q3a engine, besides "FAKK 2"

I don't argue with you, as the Q3A engine is more powerful....

Released

FAKK 2: Heavy Metal ,Alice In Wonderland, Startrek Voyager: Elite Force.

Soon:

Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault, Soldier Of Fortune 2: Double Helix, Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, New Secret Ritual Game, A James Bond Game (confirmed - under different name - not The World Is Not Enough).