Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vader

[WIP] The Shores of Zdoom (Oct 13: new pictures on page 6)

esselfortium said:

Nearly everyone working on The Shores of ZDoom had no involvement with KDiZD's creation.

Still, I'm not sure it would be the same thing if Tormentor667, NiGHTMARE and Vader didn't work on this. Isn't TSoZD's main theme still this: insane detail?

C30N9 said:

Imagine if 94's Doom was like this.

If Crucial Catholism hadn't existed, that wouldn't have been impossible.
(Way off... stop daydreaming.)

TSoZD. I'm waiting it like Hell, but, to be honest, I'm not going to get calmed-down, straight until Thy Flesh ZDoomed is released and fairly critisised. That's I'm living for alongside my own projects. Aesthetist, 99.9999% realist maps keep me alive since I've become an aesthetist myself as well - DO IT! GO ON! KEEP UP WITH THE GOOD WORK!

I'm somewhat with 40oz on this one. The shots don't really give me any "this is Doom" feeling. More like "This is a techbase in <name of sci-fi game here>" feeling. A lot of people will undoubtably go for this, but it doesn't grab my attention in any meaningful way.

I wonder if a big part of that is that most of the screenshots have next to no Doom textures (or Doom textures with lots and lots of grit, dirt and ware added).

Back on the first page, in response to the first two batches of screenshots, I stated that only a few of the shots looked like Doom EP2.

The screenshots I was referring, the ones that did remind me of Doom EP2 were the ones that showed a fair few Doom textures.

Well gentlemen. I for one would still be well pleased even if the 're-interpretation' of Doom's e2 levels in TSoZD amounted to not much more than a respectful nod in the direction of the original id levels.

If I get to play a top quality, amazing looking set of ZDoom maps that manages to not turn into a switch hunt too often, then how strictly this project follows arbitrary mapping rules is of no consequence to me whatever.

Though I agree that it would be good if the levels did bear some resemblance to their predecessors.

The new shots look great btw.

That screen on Page one depicting a tile that has fallen off the ceiling and landed on the floor.. Would it be possible to have it falling from the ceiling in game?

Not convincingly if you're not using 3D floors, I'd say. You could have mid-textures scroll down, but that's more hard work than it's worth.

Even then, you'd not have it bounce or turn or anything whilst falling or on impact. You'd want an animated model or a reasonable spriteset for that, which I'm sure you'd agree is far too much effort for such a small effect.

I'd at least make the tile a slightly different angle to the hole in the ceiling.

Still, as mentioned earlier, it could 'happen' out of sight as a little piece of a map wide infestation/warping of the the map as the player plays through it.

Vermil said:

I'd at least make the tile a slightly different angle to the hole in the ceiling.

Still, as mentioned earlier, it could 'happen' out of sight as a little piece of a map wide infestation/warping of the the map as the player plays through it.

There are one or two others near it at different positions and angles; it's not really visible from the screenshot since fallen tiles weren't really the focus of the picture :P

And yeah, as Phobus said, I don't think there's much of a way that a falling panel could be done without looking cheesy and/or expending far more effort than it's worth. There's some larger-scale dynamic structures in TSoZD, though, as you would expect from any good Doom wad. :)

Without taking part in the shit fest, as much as I don't think that E2 is as good as Doom 2 and is a bit flat... it did have some eery and abstract scenes that had an "ancient evil" kind of feel to them, especially the marble areas. I'm looking forward to seeing how the team render those areas.

They'll probably be as good as expected, and with sounds imported from Blizzard games that manage to actually creep the player.

I've sent the derail to Post Hell. Sorry to anyone who had anything on-topic lost in the split, but when the majority of the posts for the last page and a half have been multiple people telling one person to shut up, this isn't even a thread about TSoZD anymore.

Feel free to be critical here, but this is not a theory thread. If you'd like to present your opinion as gospel and spend two pages arguing the number of textures in the game, we do have the Doom General subforum for that.

If you'd like to comment on whether or not TSoZD looks like it sucks or is mediocre or half-decent or whatever, this is your place.

Thanks.

Well, I know I want to see some CEMENT* and COMPOHSO-themed areas because they're what define the tech parts of Deimos for me, and make it distinctive from the Phobos base. They're not used all that much, but they're not used at all in KDITD, and COMPOHSO didn't make the move to Doom II, so it just makes them more all the more noticeable.

For the hellish corruption, don't forget vines.

Wish I could show off an area that use both the Cement and vines extensively but its not done yet. But don't fear, the cement and vine theme is definitely there.

I would like to see more cement textures as well. Looking pretty damn good, I like those fleshy bits that come out the walls. Maybe my only complaint is that the texturing on DezzTech his shots is a bit messy. Too many different colors, brown, green, gray, imo it could use some more attention.

The vines really shouldn't be underburied for the thematic maps of it, aka. E2M3-E2M6; I don't know whether you're about to make the E2M2 COMPOHSO area into one which is needed to be visited madatorily, but I'm waiting for your results ASAP. E2 has always been an episode full of different possibilities.

Just don't get carried away with texture variety. Some of those shots looked like there might be a bit too much going on in terms of color clashing.

GoatLord said:

Just don't get carried away with texture variety. Some of those shots looked like there might be a bit too much going on in terms of color clashing.

How cluttered and mishmashed the textures are really depends on how well-organized the planning of the Deimos bases really was.

I posted this over on ZDoom.org last night:

I've spent the past few days making some major overhauls to the music section of my website.

Among other things, you'll find a streamable preview of TSoZD's soundtrack: my orchestrated take on "Waltz of the Demons", the e2m7 theme, is on the main music page.

It's just one of these projects that are trying to outmordeth Mordeth.

Katamori said:

Nice shots.

BUT!

Too complicated, as KDiZD was.

Damnit, I love details, but these gusys have never tried to make a correct level size. Even Z1M1 was big as ASS! Some people are very megalomaniac!

Why is it good?

I don't think you can properly judge the size of the map by those shots, also I disagree that the size of a map matters. For me it's the cluttering and lack of 'landmarks'. People often say about maps that they are cramped. Those shots look very detailed, but far from cramped. You can see that there are no unnecessary obstacles on the floor, no crates, no columns.

I really like those shots. I think they are a great improvement over what I remember KDiZD for (and I know that teams are completely different, but the comparisons are inevitable).