Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MegaDoomer

Project idea - quickly mapped community SP megawad

Is this a good idea for a new community SP megawad?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea for a new community SP megawad?

• Yes, and it should be done under the 32in24 rules
    • Yes, and it should be done with slightly modified/more lenient rules similar to those I mentioned in option b).
    • Yes; either set of rules should work out well
    • No, I don\'t think it\'s a good idea, keep to multiplayer for this type of stuff.

Inspired by Khorus' recent speedmapping project, and as the 32in24 contests for multiplayer modes always tend to yield good results in general, I'm thinking there's been enough active mappers around as of lately to find it reasonable to ask if the same general "idea" could be carried out in a single player fashion.

I know there was the gimmicky Diet 32in24 and this was sort of attempted in a not so successful manner back in 2007 as well, but I thought it would be good to come up with a megawad mapped either:

a) Under the same rules used for the multiplayer 32in24 wads; or

b) If a slightly more lenient schedule is desired, using this set of rules (as a rough draft):

1) Mapping is to be done on weekends, with sessions of 24 up to 36 hours. I'd think the deadline for submissions would be Sunday evenings, while starting time would be Saturday mornings.

2) On any individual weekend, any author can submit map and is encouraged to focus on providing a quality level regardless of size. The same author is allowed to submit a map as many weekends as he/she would like, limited to one map a weekend.

3) Regardless of how long it takes, the project is finalized (and tested, etc.) simply whenever 32 maps have been submitted.

So do you think an SP community megawad of this type would be a good idea? Please make your vote. :)

If there's enough yes votes, maybe it would be something to consider. If not, then it's understandable. It's just an idea that came to my mind, personally, that I wanted to share.

I reckon it's cool.. Making a week the limit would be ideal for single player. Might as well start 32in168!

Maybe we should let some of the current projects finish before another is started?

Hey guys I just noticed the huge turnout for that 32in24 thing so I thought I'd make a thread where I could harness that energy for a project that I'd be more interested in playing!

How about you come up with something a little more original? It might help to have a name for your project, maybe a logo, a maplist with specific episodic themes, maybe a texture pack to work with? All I see is a list of rules for what I can and can't do.

Progressive Fiction still needs a mapper, since we're diverting traffic from here! If it makes the plug less shameful there is a vague link to MegaDoomers's idea in that one of the original rules for Progressive Fiction was to make your map in 1 week. Only some of the maps obeyed this rule though (IIRC: MAP01-04, MAP07, MAP09-MAP15, MAP19, MAP22, MAP25, MAP28, MAP31)

I quite like the idea (being a single player myself), but with my map that's in need of finishing for CC4 by the 16th and then my desire to make at least one more map for Back to Saturn X I'm not forseeing myself taking a week out to work on something else again any time soon.

TrueDude said:

Let's not forget this project, shall we?

Why not merge them? Screw the infamous 32 level limit.

Well, since it's fairly early on (It's only been a month since I started it) I'll keep it at 32 maps for now, but if it gets to a point where almost no one is working on it in like 3, 4 months I'll probably cut back to around 20.

Good idea, but i think lots of people here (and the same author of this post) are locked with many others project...

but hey, it's a cool idea! I'm for the 32in24 style wad (but also a week is good, probably better)

Might have enough votes to get going eventually.

I agree that through Nov 16th, however, quickly made maps could be used to fill the CC4 voids.

I woulnd't relate this to Multiverse, however, because that project is not on a deadline and also has a specific theme behind it, not just a community collection of maps, and they aren't necessarily quickly mapped at that.