Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

That is a good idea actually. Watching Fifth Element in HD last night, I noticed all of those ugly space Orcs were actually different. A lot of games could use that feature... instead of just the Sims.

Borderlands does that, to a lesser extent. (With the Bandits, at least) I think They're taking it further with BL2.

And while I agree with the sentiment, I'm not sure you'd notice most of the subtle distinctions Goatlord suggested. You'd have to go with some fairly major differences to make them, seem different in the blur of a firefight. Horns/Spikes, big scars, colour differences, that kind of thing.

WWE games offer tons of customizations you barely notice. I think it would be great even if no one notices... those who do will have thier mind blown.

Hell Knights with 1 horn and 1 broken horn... some Hell Knights that haven't matured don't have their horns. Pinkies that already have an eye shot out from someone other than you...

Trites that have different face.s Doom 3 Lost Souls that have different faces. Revenants wearing different clothes or even some missing an arm.

Zombies with different clothes. It has been done before. Dead Island takes individual zombie gore to a new level. No zombie is gored the same and they peel layers of gore into the zombie...

If WWE can offer tattoos, chest hair, clothes, scars, jaw width, boob size, height, arm length... then Doom 4 zombies can too!

Cyber demons with 2 rocket launchers... or none... They would just pick you up and beat you against a wall. Cyber demons with plasma launchers... but that might be ruining people's notions of what a cyber demon is.

Doom 4 should have...

...water please! Just think of the fame of "Half Life 2" because of its water. [or other liquied things where the character can swim! >Blood< anyone? I would like it.]

Half-life 2 is not famous because of it's water. Yes it had nice looking water but that was waaay down the list of things that made it 'famous'.

printz said:

What I love about Doom 3 is the xenoarchaeological theme. Simply put, gigantic alien underground demon-filled ancient caves are always interesting. It's also cool they have a backstory which can be expanded indefinitely. It's also a theme inexistent in Doom 2 (no lore to back it).

Gigantic monsters are good actually. If they're large enough, they start to overpower you in terms other than hit points or strength. For example, their walking speed becomes faster than your running. They can just squash you.

What I'd want for Doom 4 would be a faster marine. Not as fast as in Doom 1, just as fast as in Quake 1. With the current Doom 3 speed, most fights are "please leave me alone die already OUCH" rather than even and there's too much try-and-reload gameplay. Dumb.

I agree with alot of what you say here, except about the try and reload in D3? Where? I don't consider myself that good of a gamer and I rarely died the first time through on hard.

Alot of people bitch about the cheap scares in Doom 3, and then cite the imps teleporting in or jumping out of the closets. I didn't really take this as intent to scare. The creepier parts of the game were things like making your way down a crawlspace and the skeleton you can see up ahead all of a sudden moves, the bloody footprints appearing on the floor, things like that. I especially loved the beginning of the Delta Labs missions where the place is trashed and deserted. You don't actually battle until a few minutes in. Of course this kind of stuff is lost when you're speedrunning through it. Even the complaints about "all the rooms are the same" aren't really true. If you take in the environment, it's damned impressive that the id team pretty much designed a fully functional space station down to very minor details.

After the game came out I could always tell when someone was bitching about something legit or if they were complaining because they rushed through the game and missed all the details. In fact I've seen a number of posts on here over the years from people who said they replayed it and ended up enjoying it the 2nd time through. Give it a try without the "waaaaaaa its not Doom with better graphics" attitude.

Edited a few typos.

I would like for Doom 4 to have n interesting story that explores and/or continues from the events of Doom 3.

I like that the UAC had no direct contribution or knowledge of what was happening on Mars. That was all Betruger and that makes sense.

However, it would be cool if the the UAC would in Doom 4 fill a sort of "Weyland-Yutani" role. They could be actively trying to reach Hell again to utilize the Hellspawn/the Soul Sphere/the Hellstone as biological weapons.

It'd just be fun to see opening cinematics of heavily armed marines mowing down demons much as described in the Final Doom pre-invasion backstories.

Doom 4 will need to have the Siri technology so we can talk to the NPC in game.

That'd be pretty badass

AirRaid said:

Half-life 2 is not famous because of it's water. Yes it had nice looking water but that was waaay down the list of things that made it 'famous'.

Perhaps he's referring to the then-hyped-up physics engine which made stuff float in water fairly realistically. The only game to beat HL2 to the punch in that regard was Far Cry, IIRC.

I'd want the hero in Doom 4 (if he's still a human) to be once again inspired on Kevin Cloud, like in its predecessors (at least I'm sure about Doom 1 and Doom 2).

Water? There should be water, blood, sewage, nukage, mud, tar, sludge and lava.

Water to swim in or... just splash in swimming seems undoomish.
Blood to look cool.
Sewage to damage you.
Nukage to really hurt you.
Mud to get stuck in.
Tar to get stuck in.
Sludge to slide in (ice wouldn't make sense).
Lava to kill you and some enemies.

I'm hoping some of doom 4 kind of turns out like the legacy of suffering wad, if any of you guys have ever played it.

I would ideally want half of the action to take place in a doom3ish hellish space installation environment, but with doom2 combat dynamics (multiple monster slaughterfests, lots of infighting, etc).

The other half should be outdoor open concept like in cities or something (I hope they remake downtown and the courtyard). However since the game is taking place on earth, I doubt the doom3 space station environments will even be in the game at all. I'm one of the only people who actually like those settings like in deadspace or starcraft.

Obviously, the music will be whatever it will be, I just hope it fits the environment of the map. Ambient soundtracks for darkish maps, adrenaline rush music for open concept, big fights.

HXCpr0n said:

However since the game is taking place on earth, I doubt the doom3 space station environments will even be in the game at all. I'm one of the only people who actually like those settings like in deadspace or starcraft.

Count me in, I dug the space station in Doom 3 and I thought Dead Space was great. You get alot of people complaining "all the levels look the same" because they don't pay any attention. They were incredibly detailed and well thought out. Too bad so many people don't let themselves enjoy it. I've become a big fan of space horror. Aliens, Doom, Dead Space.

Actually while I'm at it if anybody can recommend some more from that genre I need something to play right now.

Face23785 said:

Count me in, I dug the space station in Doom 3 and I thought Dead Space was great. You get alot of people complaining "all the levels look the same" because they don't pay any attention. They were incredibly detailed and well thought out. Too bad so many people don't let themselves enjoy it. I've become a big fan of space horror. Aliens, Doom, Dead Space.

Actually while I'm at it if anybody can recommend some more from that genre I need something to play right now.

I'm sure the UAC labs on earth will resemble sort of the same as the stations in space. Perhaps smaller, or more office-like.

yellowmadness54 said:

I'm sure the UAC labs on earth will resemble sort of the same as the stations in space. Perhaps smaller, or more office-like.

Exactly.

Face23785 said:

I've become a big fan of space horror. Aliens, Doom, Dead Space.

One that comes to mind is Run Like Hell, but I'm almost reluctant to mention it because it's a pretty mixed bag. It's a console exclusive (PS2/Xbox) as far as I know, and gameplay is kind of "meh" in a lot of ways, but I thought it was a decent romp for its time. The space station that you're trapped on is a little generic, but still interesting to explore, and the voice cast is surprisingly solid, with Lance Henriksen, Michael Ironside, and Kate Mulgrew appearing, among others.

If I recall right, I got the game used for around $15, and that was when it was new, so you could probably find it pretty cheap now if you were interested. I certainly wouldn't recommend paying anything higher, though.

I just saw the trailer to it >>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6TtrebuRqI

It didn't do much to make me want to play the game except seeing the name Clancy Brown in the end credits. But now reading the other voice actors with Lance, Ironside and Captain Janeway... I'm just interested in them :-)

Its going for $0.50 on Amazon

Amazon sez >>>

- Aliens are infiltrating and only you know about it -- but how do you stop them when you're not even sure who's on your side?
- Match wits against the unspeakable darkness of The Race in a thrilling 3rd-person adventure with a gripping storyline
- Beware the powerful AI here -- the aliens learn quickly, so you've got to stay one step ahead
- The intense storyline will keep you on edge, and the great voice-acting by Hollywood actors lend the whole game a sci-fi/horror movie feel
- When you run out of options and don't know what to do, take the title's advice and Run Like Hell!

Ha gets a 4.0 score at Gamespot.

>>> Here's the review >>>

RLH was an often-delayed game for the PlayStation 2 that didn't turn out so well, despite all the time it spent in development. Now, the game has now surfaced on the Xbox. Even with the addition of a new level and some downloadable Xbox Live content, the core game is still roughly the same--a sci-fi action adventure game that, much like its PlayStation 2 counterpart, feels rushed and unfinished.

Nick Conner blasts some aliens!

The game follows the story of Nichols Conner, a military man living on the Forseti space station with his fiancée, Dr. Samantha Reilly. After a routine exploration mission with a colleague, Conner returns to the station, only to find that something has gone horribly wrong, as nearly all the inhabitants of the station, including the love of his life, are either missing or dead. Conner quickly discovers that an alien race has turned the once bustling station into a blood-and-guts-stained mess, and with the help of a hulking alien named Dag, he sets out to get to the bottom of things.

Given the source material, it's clear that RLH borrows heavily from such Hollywood blockbusters as Alien and The Thing. The space station is dimly lit and dreary, and at times it feels just about as dead as many of the people who once lived there. The invading alien forces also look very similar to the monsters in the above-mentioned movies. The game does a good job of maintaining this atmosphere throughout its course, but it really falls flat in the actual execution.

Those familiar with this type of story-driven action adventure will quickly get a handle on RLH, although they'll find that the controls are rather clunky. The Xbox version gives you a bit more camera control than the PS2 release by binding camera movement to the right analog stick, although the camera still has problems when you're in close quarters or backed in a corner. In these situations, the game will rapidly switch angles uncontrollably at the most inopportune times, such as in the heat of battle. Luckily, combat is aided by a lock-on system, so even if your target is offscreen, you'll still end up hitting the mark.

While the combat system aids you quite a bit, the game tends to throw volleys of enemies at you at a time, with most of them appearing out of thin air, one after another. Thus, with each enemy encounter, your mission is basically brought to a screeching halt until the room is cleared. Escape generally isn't an option, since the aliens pitted against you will follow you until they die. Furthermore, the game provides you with an unlimited supply of ammunition, which takes just about all the strategy out of the combat. To succeed, all you'll need to do is find a spot away from a spawn point, target your foes, and blast away. Aside from combat, the game relies on three other concepts to keep the game moving: lengthy and frequent cutscenes, simplistic minigames, and fetch quests that require you to scour every last inch of the level you currently occupy. The cutscenes wouldn't be so bad if they didn't seem like they were thrown into the game at the last minute. Some characters are lip-synched decently, while others speak out of a closed mouth, or worse still, the mouth of a marionette, opening and closing without any regard for the speech being delivered. This alone gives the game an unfinished feel. The spoken dialogue in the game is also overly dramatic and heavy-handed, much like what you'd find in a low-budget film. The minigames pop up every couple of levels, and they're simplistic at best. Most require either precise timing or button mashing, and they just break up the flow of the game even further. Once you get past all the other aspects of the game, you're ultimately left running from room to room, trying to find an important item, flip a series of switches, or collect notes with clues to a series of button combinations to open a locked door.

Thirsty?

While the Xbox version does look generally sharper than the PlayStation 2 version, that actually isn't saying much. The character models aren't detailed, and they're created with plain-looking textures and drab colors. As previously stated, the space station is dark and lacking in any extra touches that would bring it to life. When compared with other games being released on this system, RLH clearly is a step or two behind the pack. The game also sounds about as good at it looks. The sounds of doors opening and shutting and the screams of the alien hordes are recycled over and over, and the game's score consists of brooding ambient sounds that aren't memorable in any way. One major shock comes by way of the licensed music that plays during each and every boss fight. There are a number of elements in RLH that break up the continuity of the story and the gameplay, and the music during these fights is the final nail in the coffin.

In an attempt to make the Xbox version stand out from the PlayStation 2 offering, Interplay has added an entirely new level, five additional rooms, and a couple of new monsters. These enhancements definitely aren't enough to make a poor game marginal, let alone good. On top of that, the new level just doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the game, which is fitting, since RLH seems like it was pieced together from very different parts. Xbox Live users can also download several new minigames and new skins for various characters. While it's nice to be able to download new content, it's not that worthwhile in the long run. Ultimately, RLH is a game that simply wasn't good when it was first released, and even with slightly better graphics, a new level, and Xbox Live content, it still isn't a good game.

Face23785 said:

Enpro Plant and Delta Labs 1 were the best techbase levels in Doom 3 IMO.

Yep I've never heard of it. I was shocked they didn't run commercials for it since it had such name talent voice actors. But apparently it was rushed out the door. I'm still very tempted to buy a copy just for the names attached. ... but I could probably just find the entire thing on Youtube.

Marnetmar said:

Enpro Plant and Delta Labs 1 were the best techbase levels in Doom 3 IMO.

I think I like Central Processing 2 more, because it almost feels like a Doom 2 wad, with lots of heavyweight monsters and weapons. Also Site 3 is wicked.

Cherubs never bothered me. One shotgun blast did them in... aim is important Oh and close proximity too.

Another thing... I played Half Life 1 Blue Shift today for 2 hours. The game felt a lot like a low res Doom 3 in all of the negatives that Doom 3 had. Unlike the other Half Life 1 expansion and Half Life 1 itself... this Blue Shift had tons of darkness, enemies flying at your face like balls in a dodgeball game and backtracking... a lot more backtracking than in any Half Life game.

Something I also noticed about it was the fact that enemies that appear behind you... don't attack until you see them. Something Doom 3 could have learned. They just stay silent. But if you see them and turn your back, then they still attack you.

The combat in that expansion was also wide open against the 10 marines at a time to really show off how good the AI is as they run away, try to flank you, throw grenades, take formation so they're not hiding behind one another. Really smart stuff that Doom 3 and Doom 4 could bennefit from.

geo said:

Cherubs never bothered me. One shotgun blast did them in... aim is important Oh and close proximity too.

Yes quite true, but I suck. Cherubs always fuck me up.

Here's what I want for Doom 4:

Develop the game for PC's only. No imposed limitations due to cross-development with inferior console hardware. After that, if some company wants to come along and take their chances porting the game to consoles (i.e. Vicarious Visions), they can have at it.

Of course, there is no chance in hell this is going to happen. id software is now a profit maximizing company:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/john_carmack_says_id_will_take_console-first_approach_games

But hey.. technically this is sort of a wishlist right? I'd wish for a pre-2008 economical environment also.

Less piracy. Seeing the fact Xbox360 and PS3 sales dwarfed PC sales of Rage says a lot.

joeking said:

Here's what I want for Doom 4:

Develop the game for PC's only. No imposed limitations due to cross-development with inferior console hardware. After that, if some company wants to come along and take their chances porting the game to consoles (i.e. Vicarious Visions), they can have at it.

Of course, there is no chance in hell this is going to happen. id software is now a profit maximizing company:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/john_carmack_says_id_will_take_console-first_approach_games

But hey.. technically this is sort of a wishlist right? I'd wish for a pre-2008 economical environment also.

While id has confirmed that Doom 4 will be included on consoles, they also said that it will supposedly be PC-Oriented. Don't know how much truth there is in that, however.

Oh man, can you imagine DOOM4 being sandbox or openworldish like BL? You run about the city areas and suburbs fighting zombies and demons?

Oh well, DOOM4 should include new weapons as well (under 10 or so though) like railguns and such.

The randomization of enemies sounds like a really neat idea, aswell. And I would like to see that.