Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quasar said:

WW1 started with a dude getting shot in a parade. Much less than war ships making audacious maneuvers against international military consortia.

that dude was the heir to the austro-hungarian throne, that's like shooting obama during his election campaign and not "much less" than sabre-rattling.

My point is that it was not a direct military action. It was the undertaking of a sole independent radical which was used as justification, to play the blame game, and kick off a war to which the build-up in tensions had been going on for quite a while.

Quast said:

Primitive humans food was not 'right in front of them, all the fucking time'. They worked themselves to death to obtain it, and in the process they lived life very fast and died very young. And that's IF disease, war, drought and famine didn't kill them even earlier.

Seriously, try not to wax poetic about primitive societies too much. They lived very brutal and unforgiving lives.

There's still plenty of bad shit going on every day all over the world. There's a lot of uncurable diseases, and also a whole set of new mental and physical problems related to the modern lifestyle (wrong diet, bad sleep, work yourself to death, constant stress). Hell, now you even got radiation from reactor meltdowns or bombings (if it happens again), and other polution consequences. No real improvement, just different flavors of suffering...

There's still big predators too, but they wear suits & ties and pretend to be civilized. ;)

Belial said:

Worse how? The missiles were always there.

I meant the U.S. led European missile shield proposed by former defense secretary Robert Gates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_missile_defense_complex_in_Poland

This plan was scrapped in 2009. However, Romania has accepted a deal with the U.S. to host an element of the European missile shield on their soil.

http://en.rian.ru/world/20110913/166800153.html

that x-band radar in czech republic was dubya's lovechild, obama cancelled the project almost immediatelly after coming to office. at that point the czech side was locked in a nasty public flamewar about the issue. although i'm not surprised to see russia's fearmongers still using it to plan the second cold war.

MRB_Doom said:

Some advice for the powers that want to impose this on Syria: Don't bomb the Russian naval base in Tartus, ok?

I say we call their bluff and nuke it. What's the worst that can happen - a few obsolete Russian destroyers are finally decommissioned.

DooMAD said:

Britain and other EU countries rush to cut diplomatic ties with Iran at the first available opportunity. Still calling for tougher sanctions despite the fact that they're not developing nukes.

I don't trust my own country anymore. I honestly believe those in power want war/regime change.

Of course they want war.
The easiest way to determine if shit is really brewing is availability of military transport tools and ammunition. Just ask someone working in the military, higher rank preferred, how the market is doing... if there's shortage of certain goods a conflict/attack is being prepared.

GreyGhost said:

I say we call their bluff and nuke it. What's the worst that can happen - a few obsolete Russian destroyers are finally decommissioned.

Well if you nuke it, you might just end up getting one of these landing on your head. It is the most modern ICBM to date and can defeat any ABM system in the world.

Don't do it.

If Russia teams up with the Chinese, look out for the DF-21D, which can sink an aircraft carrier with one strike.

Do any of you guys plan on fighting a war for lazy fat government assholes who try to use remote control? I sure as fuck don't. Not my war.

deathbringer said:

Still I'd love to see what would happen if the bigger powers stayed out of it and Israel had to go it alone against the whole arab league. That proud, arrogant, selfish nation would be bulldozed into the fucking sea.

It's happened and Israel won.

dew said:
these trends grow and culminate over decades, yet somehow the us government manipulates the whole world to distract from the OWS?

There's reasons why they escalate at certain points. OWS is just a symptom in a broad economic crisis. It wouldn't be the first time governments turn to military action when fiscal numbers don't add up, to try to make up for what's missing nationally somewhere else, fortify "internal security" and paralyze dissent.

only if you believe iran's claim that the large amounts of uranium-235 enriched to 20% are produced for medical purposes (radiology). the consensus of experts on nuclear energy is that this outlandish claim is a thin excuse for enriching u-235 to weapon grade density at 90%. keep in mind that going from 3.5% (nuclear plant fuel) to 20% is the hardest step, proceeding further is relatively easy. this evidence alone is damning enough and iran is not even denying it.

I hope this "consensus of experts" isn't similar to the experts that have a consensus about economic policy in Europe!

Whether Iran will develop nukes really depends on a lot of factors, including how much its sovereignty and future is threatened, how much other options become inviable. Believing they will do it no matter what, eliminating the context of what's going on is as close to racist as it gets, putting them into that stereotype where they're eager to "wipe Israel off the face of the Earth."

i'm not aware of any IAEA reports claiming saddam developed nukes. his atomic activities were cut short when israel air raided osirak. btw, the first country that tried to bomb the nuclear plant was iran. :) IAEA's role in dubya's invasion of iraq is sadly misunderstood. they were assisting in the UNMOVIC probe in 2002 and found no evidence of weapons of mass destruction, but dubya, dick cheney and collin powell knowingly lied about fictious chemical weapons mobile laboratories, had an untrustworthy witness testify and the invasion was greenlighted by the coalition of the willing.

But back then the key members of the European Union weren't really into moving aggressively into the Middle east, actively running over the countries that aren't subservient to the West. Europe was mostly shocked at what the US did unilaterally. So the US lied when they did it alone... Now we're supposed to believe that Europeans who joined in under their military master won't also exacerbate potentials or use fabricated intelligence in this quest for supremacy over the Middle East, which is in a key central location of the world, and its oil?

Quast said:
Seriously, try not to wax poetic about primitive societies too much. They lived very brutal and unforgiving lives.

Not to buy into the "noble savage in Eden" myth, but that probably depends a lot on the times and places. Just like in modern and contemporary society, where you find places that you can live well and others that are hell. I'm guessing large percentages of the past population lived relatively alright. Since the official "history" in ancient, medieval and even later times mostly consisted of chronicles of kings conquering lands, I'm not sure we get a good picture or general impression of how it was for most people in the past.

Like, in the Americas, there were invasions and empires and all in their time, but they seemed to live relatively well for long periods of time in various areas. When Europeans arrived, in addition to violence, they brought plagues and diseases in their filthy ships and from their shit-stained streets and rat infested buildings that wiped out large numbers of natives. Different cultures must have had periods of relative adaptation and peace, broken intermittently but crises from climate changes or migrations and other catastrophes.

myk said:
When Europeans arrived, in addition to violence, they brought plagues and diseases in their filthy ships and from their shit-stained streets and rat infested buildings that wiped out large numbers of natives.

well, the very first thing imported from south america was syphilis. :)

That too, the dirty Catholics didn't even use of condoms :p

http://www.debka.com/article/21762/

So basically the Mossad is saying that the only thing that is needed to intervene militarily in Syria is an order from the White House.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debka.com

"The site's operators, in contrast, state that 80 percent of what Debka reports turns out to be true, and point to its year 2000 prediction that al-Qaeda would again strike the World Trade Center, and that it had warned well before the 2006 war in Lebanon that Hezbollah had amassed 12,000 Katyusha rockets pointed at northern Israel."