Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

Well, yesterday, I did a huge fail while recording a 30mmmax, there were two imps in the final area of Map 25 that I forgot to awaken, and had to end it there with 98% kills. At that point, the run's length was 3:42:54. If anybody wants to see it, tell me and I'll put it in the failed demo attempts thread. So this demo will have to do instead.

Memento Mori
UV Fast
Map 19 in 6:38

mm19f638.zip

Revved said:

Well, yesterday, I did a huge fail while recording a 30mmmax, there were two imps in the final area of Map 25 that I forgot to awaken, and had to end it there with 98% kills. At that point, the run's length was 3:42:54. If anybody wants to see it, tell me and I'll put it in the failed demo attempts thread. So this demo will have to do instead.

Hahaha, that's long session :)

If it's true what you say, it counts - as a valid Max Movie up to MAP24. To beat your "record" (you may refuse to name it so), one must finish MAP01-MAP25 with max kills and secrets.

Similar "unfinished" demos

Xit Vono's nightmare! run on Requiem
Xit Vono's nightmare! run on Evilution (from this year)
Jason Henry's Tyson run on Doom 2

and there were many more probably in the first years of C-N.

vdgg said:

Similar "unfinished" demos

Jason Henry's Tyson run on Doom 2

Heh, funny. I was doing doom2 tyson for fun and made it to the map07 (died to last mangu >:( ), each level 100% kills, then you say about Henry's rune so I check it. Why doesn't he kill all the monsters? I thought it's 100% kills even if it is movie run. Is it UV Speed Tyson when going for a movie?

My mistake, I guess. No, it's not partial Tyson movie (12uv-tys.lmp) for not getting all the kills.

Revved said:

Memento Mori
UV Fast
Map 19 in 6:38

I have to agree with vdgg, it should not be allowed to be lost. What huge effort, WOW!

It counts as a valid Max Movie up to MAP24 There are so few of those types of runs, please don't let it become lost. Please share.

Well, I've already uploaded the Max movie to the Failed demo attempts thread for those that want to see it. I know that it's possible; I did an unrecorded no-saves attempt through the whole WAD with a time of 4:42:07 so I wasn't that far away from victory. Oh and by the way:

Memento Mori
UV Respawn
Map 19 in 5:05

mm19r505.zip

kimo_xvirus, do you use dosbox and if so, what version?
I'm just wondering how to strafe run in the first 6-8 ticks.
If you check e3m2-012 sedlo fails his fast start, losing 2-3 ticks :P

kimo_xvirus said:

Doom 2 Map32 Nightmare 100% Secrets Run in 0:24

Was this inspired by your Wolf3D running at SDA?

And MAP19 too. Many of Peo's TAS demos got beaten without assistance, and with tons of effort it's possible to humanly cut 2 minutes from his M2191151. He doesn't perfectly distribute the weapon damage at all, and one can rush through the map with a lot more aggression, minimizing the time of running around and gathering different groups of enemies together to help them destroy themselves. Also, Peo missed one of the teleporting sergeants and was forced to make a detour which cost him 20 seconds (from 5:16 to 5:36).

Paska said:

kimo_xvirus, do you use dosbox and if so, what version?
I'm just wondering how to strafe run in the first 6-8 ticks.

Fast start used to work fine in MS-DOS and Windows 98
You can't do the first straferun + turn under dosbox on any version
Stuff like this from your post is the limit under DOSBox.
I discussed it with the DOSBox developers before, they ruled it out as a problem with SDL's input capturing during changing resolutions.
And the bug is present in VMware and VirtualBox running MS-DOS 6.22 because they both use SDL.
Also, even if you set the DOSBox resolution to 320x200, it still has that bug, it has to do with internal resolution or something.

The bug isn't present in Virtual PC 2007 running MS-DOS 6.22, but there was something else that made me not like speedrunning Doom under that emulator, IIRC it was Virtual PC not locking the mouse during Doom's text startup because perhaps you needed to lock it everytime you launched a program in the emulator or it was something about the mouse. But in Virtual PC 2007 if you for example holded forward and strafe left or right + turn left or right on keyboard, you would get them in the first ~6 tics as expected, that doesn't work in DOSBox or the 2 other emulators which use SDL.

The only solution I found under XP SP3 32bit is running Doom with cli2nop. It makes the game playable and the sound distorted, but it's better than nothing. I launch the batch files from fullscreen cmd and immediately make the fast start.

Paska said:

If you check e3m2-012 sedlo fails his fast start, losing 2-3 ticks :P

I don't know what you meant exactly, he moves from the very first tick. If you meant he doesn't turn to the correct angle then I say no, he was straferunning the small distance to wallrun the wall on the right :)

Creaphis said:

Was this inspired by your Wolf3D running at SDA?

Possibly, but I was thinking I wanted to do a strong Doom1/2 record :)

kimo_xvirus said:

I don't know what you meant exactly, he moves from the very first tick. If you meant he doesn't turn to the correct angle then I say no, he was straferunning the small distance to wallrun the wall on the right :)

My bad, he really does strafe run, didn't notice the tiny side movement even I was looking for it.

Thanks for the informative answer about the fast start.

Doom2
Episode 1 TYSON
Time: 104:45

This isn't easy run, I can say that. I hope it's not too boring to watch. Maps 06-09 are the most boring ones.

10445ty1.zip

Archy said:

I need to stop playing this map... anyone want to beat my records?

Hah, fast like a hurricane! Just as usual. Gotta love your movement.

I don't even know how to beat that map but it would be lovely to see some real competition on it. Maybe 2:2X is optimal?

In my txt file I claimed that map08 would remain undone for the forseeable future. However, I was just doing a practice run(starting on map03), and I managed to finish map08. I don't know how I did it, since I don't think plasma is that helpful. Therefore I believe an 8 level, and possibly much higher run is possible.