Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

RjY said:

... the UDS says that ... fast stairs do ...

As used in:

LigH said:
Here a few from Revolution! by Thomas van der Velden (TVR!.WAD)

"THIS IS NO CAVE!" (Han Solo)

vdgg said:

@Maes: You may watch this demo

Interesting. Both Doom2.exe v1.9 and v1.666 (with a hex modification) do indeed produce an instant 20% damage when rising, which isn't consistent with any of the crusher damage modes (no crusher does so much damage in so little time and letting you escape). PrBoom/PrBoom+ also behave similarly but Chocolate Doom v1.5 doesn't.

So yeah, you do get hurt, but it's more likely due to a bug that had nothing to do with crushers.

The 20 HP instant damage you receive in that demo seems just like a damaging floor's strobe hurt. Seems more like a freak instance of the Stairs create unknown sector types bug, only that the sector type created is indeed a 20 HP strobe damaging floor. This is consistent with the freak accident/bug happening as soon as you move over the rising stairs. It may also combine/overlap with the Raising sectors change to orphaned sector type bug.

did you know that on icon of sin you can use noclip to walk through the boss and find someones head on a stick :D

seriously best Easter egg ever and if you don't know what im talking about then Jesus Christ you should be slapped

1337CyberdemonxX said:

did you know that on icon of sin you can use noclip to walk through the boss and find someones head on a stick :D

seriously best Easter egg ever and if you don't know what im talking about then Jesus Christ you should be slapped

shi- what the fu-

No fucking way.

1337CyberdemonxX said:

Well slap me silly....

1337CyberdemonxX said:

Um, proove it or get out/???

1337CyberdemonxX said:

Don't be so absurd! There's not such a thing!

1337CyberdemonxX said:

Damn noob making up stories and shit...

Map 12 in the Doom 2 iwad:

Behind a blue key door is a room with nukage and a switch on a raised platform that is initially inaccessible. For years I thought the solution is running around in the sludge to trip the proper triggers to raise platforms that would enable me to reach the switch.

Only in 2010 did I think to look at the ceiling...

Crusader No Regret said:

Behind a blue key door is a room with nukage and a switch on a raised platform that is initially inaccessible. For years I thought the solution is running around in the sludge to trip the proper triggers to raise platforms that would enable me to reach the switch.

Wow! I did exactly the same thing and just noticed it :)

Doom2 is full of torches. The new cool looking tech lights are used only in a few maps. I found this when I wanted to find a map with them, but then everywhere I went, torches.. even when it would have been more fitting to use a tech light.

if you pick up a MEDIKIT when below 25% hp, the message is more than just "picked up medikit"

Found this out only a year ago and been playing since 1994.

ellmo said:

if you pick up a MEDIKIT when below 25% hp, the message is more than just "picked up medikit"

Found this out only a year ago and been playing since 1994.

Well it was supposed to work in this way but it was actually broken all this time. You probably discovered it through a source port that fixed it ;-)

Maes said:

Well it was supposed to work in this way but it was actually broken all this time. You probably discovered it through a source port that fixed it ;-)

Oh? Oh. OH!
I see. But I've been using ports for years, started somewhere around Zdoom 1.22, so that still proves I'm blind.

Next thing you're gonna tell me that the OUCHFACE was NOT supposed to be an expression of amazement when Doomguy was hurt very badly but then quickly healed by a large amount ;-)

If indirectly prompted, Hell Nobles are able to hurt and kill each other with their melee attack. Don't know if there's any way to prompt them to do so without resorting to certain source-ports, though.

It's possible, but it's harder than you think.

In short, a monster or player is set as the cause for a barrel's explosion only if the barrel doesn't blow up as the result of that hit. In essence, a barrel has to survive at least one hit from a monster in order to be assigned an "inflictor". The attack that causes a barrel to blow does NOT assign an inflictor, thus undamaged barrels that are destroyed in a single attack can cause no infighting: even if monsters are hurt by it they consider to be attacked by "null" and focus on their previous targets.

If however e.g. a monster A damages a barrel WITHOUT making it explode, and then a monster B damages it further and makes it blow up in the face of both himself and A, guess what will happen? :-p

Monster B will get angry at monster A, because the barrel survived one hit from monster A and thus A was registered as the one to blame. And monster A WON'T get angry at monster B, because B won't have registered as the barrel's "inflictor".

Now that's something you surely didn't know ;-)

And a funnier variation of the above scenario, if you use Doom v1.1 or lower monster A won't only be attacked by monster B, it will also ATTACK ITSELF in self-punishment for damaging the barrel ;-)

Maes said:

It's possible, but it's harder than you think.

In short, a monster or player is set as the cause for a barrel's explosion only if the barrel doesn't blow up as the result of that hit. In essence, a barrel has to survive at least one hit from a monster in order to be assigned an "inflictor". The attack that causes a barrel to blow does NOT assign an inflictor, thus undamaged barrels that are destroyed in a single attack can cause no infighting: even if monsters are hurt by it they consider to be attacked by "null" and focus on their previous targets.

If however e.g. a monster A damages a barrel WITHOUT making it explode, and then a monster B damages it further and makes it blow up in the face of both himself and A, guess what will happen? :-p

Monster B will get angry at monster A, because the barrel survived one hit from monster A and thus A was registered as the one to blame. And monster A WON'T get angry at monster B, because B won't have registered as the barrel's "inflictor".

Now that's something you surely didn't know ;-)

And a funnier variation of the above scenario, if you use Doom v1.1 or lower monster A won't only be attacked by monster B, it will also ATTACK ITSELF in self-punishment for damaging the barrel ;-)

Unofficial command line parameter -emo reinstates that behavior even in version 1.666 and up.

Though I'd heard it discussed in the past, I just recently discovered just how efficient tap tap tapping the trigger is for accurately sniping from a distance with the chaingun or pistol. feels kind of cheap when I do it now after so many years of spraying bullets all over, but in the end it's far too ammo conserving to ever go back.

What I did not "just" found out, but was not yet reported here, and might be interesting for some:

The samples DSPLDETH and {DSSGCOCK|DSWPNUP} were used in the song "Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen?" on the album "Herzeleid" by Rammstein.

The song as such starts in a style like a possible DOOM level music (simple, General MIDI like, lo-fi).

LigH said:

What I did not "just" found out, but was not yet reported here, and might be interesting for some:

The samples DSPLDETH and {DSSGCOCK|DSWPNUP} were used in the song "Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen?" on the album "Herzeleid" by Rammstein.

The song as such starts in a style like a possible DOOM level music (simple, General MIDI like, lo-fi).

Cool, have to check that out.

SGCOCK is same as WPNUP, but WPNUP is louder. And when I play with sounds coming from the speakers, WPNUP is too loud. When I use my headphones, WPNUP doesn't sound too loud. Same thing happens with the switch sounds, ok in headphones, too loud in speakers. Maybe I need to make me a pwad with these three sounds have less volume...

From another thread

In E1M8 I open the [unofficial] secret door in the right Baron shell and hit the switch but never use the elevator.

Wow! I never knew this existed till now :P

Crusader No Regret said:

Wow I just noticed that. I always just used the automap but I never noticed the ceiling difference.

Crusader No Regret said:

holy shit

*looks at E2M2 slime room ceiling*

fuck fuck fuckin fuck shit

A little something I didn't just found out but noticed a year ago and wondered how I haven't noticed it before.

The sky texture is not just blitted as a simple image. The sky texture is distorted on X as further you go from the center of view. It's a subtle effect not so easilly noticable, but I go to E1M1 green armor room and rotate around myself and it's easilly noticable. Something like a pseudo-cylinder mapping to give the impression of space outside rather than a blitted image of a background. I am wondering now if my Zdoom port is doing that or it was there on the original Doom too.

Optimus said:

I am wondering now if my Zdoom port is doing that or it was there on the original Doom too.

It was.

Recently I watched some old video footage of a 1993 visit to id offices. John Romero would play E1M3 and in the blue key area he would say something like "that floor lamp isn't there on UV". I was like "hey, this can't have made it into the release version" - but I started up Doombuilder - and the floor lamp indeed isn't there on UV!

Took me more than 16 years to notice that. :P

*edit* fixed the map number.