Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

JENESIS - done and on /idgames.

Grats on finally releasing this gem! Now the demo recording army can get to work on recording stuff.

Made it to map 15 so far today and found the secret exit, but for the life of me I cannot find the 7th and final secret and it's nagging at me what I could have missed because I've searched dang near everywhere on this map.

Mistake in the .txt file regarding the music

MAP20 - Into The Gate
: Music - "Duke's Domain" by Jenna Ramsey
: Par Time - 2:40
: Build Time - 12 hours

I wrote the song used in MAP20.

Music - Revenge of the Quiola by Paul Corfiatis

Great to see this is finished. Well done man!

I've been considering moving to Australia especially seeing how the politics in South Africa have been going even more downhill lately. :)

Thanks all. :) Hope you enjoy playing!

Anima Zero: Ack - you're gonna hate me for this. Looks like there's one more secret sector than there should be - it's the little inlet containing the secret exit switch, which can't be reached. D: Damn it, sorry about that. Is it worth releasing a patch to correct this (and any other issues that happen to crop up) so that demomakers can complete the maps properly?

pcorf: Damn, sorry dude. No idea why that escaped me. :( It's on my list of change for a patch should a release be required.

Jimmy91 said:

Anima Zero: Ack - you're gonna hate me for this. Looks like there's one more secret sector than there should be - it's the little inlet containing the secret exit switch, which can't be reached. D: Damn it, sorry about that. Is it worth releasing a patch to correct this (and any other issues that happen to crop up) so that demomakers can complete the maps properly?

Somehow I had a hunch that was the case :P.

I'd say it's worth it to release a patch. Demomakers like me would want a level to be cleared with 100% kills & secrets. Also getting a product as close to bug free as possible is always a plus.

Going on that mindset, I remember two other incidents that occured when I was going through the last 10 maps or so.

Map 20 (Into the Gate) - The enemies that warp into the arena where the cybie is...only a few did. The rest, well, never could. Looked like the teleporters went up in the closets, preventing them from warping.

Map 24 (Hades' Wall) - The cybie never warped for the same reason as above. Teleporter in the closet went up somehow, it couldn't go through. It could very well be due to the enemies that were clogging up that teleporter's destination spot.

I'll go run through these two maps again real fast and see if I can't reproduce what happened there.

Aside from that, I believe every other map is bug free.

Alrighty, ran through the two maps I mentioned real quick. Both bugs I noticed occured again and I managed to figure out how each one goes down.

Map 20 - When you hit the switch to lower the lift in the cybie arena, the monsters start warping in. However, when you take the lift up, the teleporters in the monster closets that warp stuff into this arena rise up and will never go down ever again.

Map 24 - There's a small wall and the teleporters that are raised in the cybie's cage. In the final area, hitting the two side switches lowers the small wall. I'm going to assume the final switch is to lower the teleporters so the cybie can come out. Thing is...it doesn't happen. The teleporters stay raised and the cybie stays in its cage, thereby making 100% kills impossible.

So we have four issues that need attention: secret on Map15, elevator on Map18, monster teleports on Map20 and Map24. Probably worth a a patched release IMO.

@Jimmy91 - If you're unable to upload, you could send me an updated zip file and I'd help. My email is bdl816@aol.com. Just thought I'd offer.

Sweetness. :D

I'm really glad to be done with this project, now (of course I'll still make any small patchworthy changes still pending, but that will hopefully not take me long at all).

Really hoping you guys like it. :D Again, my apologies, especially to the demo recorders, for the problems that seem to have cropped up at the last second.

Just tried this out and found a major bug: the EMAPINFO lump references a nonexistent lump called "E3STORY", in its MAP30 definition:

[MAP30]
levelname = level 30: abysm
creator = Jimmy
levelpic = CWILV29
music = OPENIN
nextlevel = MAP31
endofgame = true
intertext = E3STORY
partime = 200
As such, when I go to map30 in Eternity I just get an error telling me E3STORY couldn't be found.

:x

Also, in level with Baphomet one of the 'horn' texture is displayed misplaced in Eternity.

Jenesis.txt clearly states ...

May Not Run Well With...: - MBF and Eternity - not fully tested. But there is still time to address this - please contact me before the full megawad is released if you encounter any problems.

Well, the full release has been made, so it's probably time I released that fix. :S

Sorry, everyone.

Jimmy91 said:

Well, the full release has been made, so it's probably time I released that fix. :S

Sorry, everyone.

No worries. I'm pretty sure I can wait awhile longer before resuming demo recording.

On a side note, is it at all possible for me to contact Ty about correcting the discrepancies in the text files (namely the typo as to MAP20's music which pcorf should be credited for, and the build time which I neglected to update)?

Correct your text, do your fix and re-submit. Tell Ty /archive maintainer it is to replace the existing map in the archives.

That is the simplest way.

I've been playing this over the last couple of days, just to check out the new maps as part of the megawad really, as I've already played the previous two releases and really enjoyed them. I'm up to MAP10: Ruins so far and I just thought I'd pop in and say "Good stuff!"

Found an issue though. Here, I managed to use the lift for the Blue Armour secret to get onto the grey crates in this screen. I then, from there, bumped the blue skull off of it's pedestal, which is fine IMO. However, I then fell back behind the crates and pedestal and couldn't get out without no-clipping, which obviously isn't so fine!

Good find in map 10 - coordinates x -1572 , y -1776. I think the best solution there is just to make a smaller blue column, so that the player can move behind it.

I did eventually work out how to legitimately get the key - I'd assumed the switch was something that needed lowering, thanks to the medikits being on the poles either side of it - but I quite like that shortcut! It doesn't gain you much time.

In the same room I somehow managed to get stuck between two 32-unit cubed crates as well. I think it was down to momentum clipping me through, as I couldn't straferun back out, but that's what got me stuck there in the first place. Again, I just noclipped out.

Up to MAP13 or so now I believe, which are maps I'm familiar with again. Still having a blast and no further issues to report! :)

jenefix.wad is about ready - so I'd appreciate a few last reports on any more problems that exist. Will be uploading it shortly onto my Phenomer filespace, then updating Jenesis on /idgames with all its fixes.

You may a bit unhappy to hear (if you've already reuploaded to /idgames) that I noticed a sky texture in place of the ceiling in MAP29 over the blue(?) key bars here. I can't say for sure if it's the one HavoX reported, as his screenshot isn't there to compare to anymore.

Finally beat the .WAD - last three maps all seemed new to me and were great. MAP29 actually had me feeling somewhat cowed as it was effectively creepy, even in spite of my triumph over the previous 30 maps.

If I had to get all retrospective and actually evaluate the .WAD, I'd say the majority of the maps were very good, with some moments truly excelling. It's such a long adventure (something like 8 hours for my playthrough, and that's not counting repeated play sections due to deaths) and it all comes together nicely. Definitely earnt that cacoward! Only map I remember not liking was MAP32, if I'm honest!

Phobus said:

I can't say for sure if it's the one HavoX reported, as his screenshot isn't there to compare to anymore.

Nope, that wasn't it.

Good eye though, I didn't notice that one.

Nope, it's not too late - thanks for spotting that, Phobus. I'd noticed it myself but for some reason neglected to fix it. :(

Here's the simple fix WAD which will eventually be integrated into the full release on /idgames.
http://jimmy.phenomer.net/wad-files/jenefix.wad

There is still a lingering problem with MAP29, however - particularly in Risen3D. Apparently the /idgames release of Jenesis causes some bad visual errors in the cage sections containing the mutants (lines 4807 and 4827), which I haven't been able to reproduce.

Hawkwind provided some fix WADs, but unfortunately they don't work for me. :S
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TUCLEACH

Any help on this issue would be gladly appreciated. It's been gnawing away at the two of us for a while now.

To elaborate on Jimmy91's post ...

Risen3D does not flood-fill the floor of sectors 832 and 835 when lowered in map 29. My patches addressed this, and fixed other issues as well. The issue that Jimmy91 is having, which I am not, is when in both my patches is that sectors 832 and 835 in jen29b and sector 832 in jen29a are bleeding into the floor in zdoom when lowered - midspace.

Are others experiencing this ?

Also, please don't forget to fix the missing upper texture in map 27 line 4907. Note the effect in software when at sector 567 and looking up.