Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

Jean-Yves Delpech [Jive] has died

Do any of you know him? I remember him when I first started making Doom wads years ago cause I think he was the first person who I showed some of my stuff to, and he liked my stuff and we emailed a bit.

Anyways, I got this in an email (and thought it kinda sweet I was on his email list) and its in french :/ so I hope I'm not mistaken. I can copy/paste the email here if anyone here knows french.

Anyways, just to let you all know.

<3 Jean

Sorry to hear that. I wouldn't say I knew him but we exchanged a few emails about a problem with one of his Cobra megawad conversions.

I do remember him, but yet again, I don't really remember knowing him. Well, I wish the best for his family.

I remember him =(.

He eventually left the community for religious reasons, so that may be the reason few people recall him.

Regardless, he will be missed. RIP

yeah I thought it was kinda funny how much he seemed to despise doom. its just a game afterall.

Worse yet, before he left, he became infamous for some edits of other people's WADs that were generally unnecessary and tended to make them look worse than before. I remember when STRAIN was added to the ScoreDoom charts and its package (created due to co-op bugs and MAP07 relying on a spechits overflow) contained one of his "fix" patches, a minor one which (among other things) shortened the sky textures. The end result: four planet Earths looming over the second third of the WAD. You can guess why I asked Bilbo to remove it. (The fixed levels were done by somebody else and are still in.) And then there was the controversy that sprung up over his attempt to update 2002: A Doom Odyssey...

Regardless, I give my condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

Foofoo said:

yeah I thought it was kinda funny how much he seemed to despise doom. its just a game afterall.

Theism doesn't usually birth rational thought. But this subject is probably too heavy for a memorial thread.

This Golden Medikit's for you, man. May you feel better in that beige drop shadow in the sky.

If you didn't know, Jive was battling a very rare form of thyroid cancer, if I recall. He had found god during chemotherapy and decided to "repent" which lasted all of 9 months. I really think a lot of that was not him speaking back in 2008. He was very irrational and came off as somewhat of an asshole.

But that wasn't really Jive. He would stalk the shit out of you if he wanted something, but mostly he stayed to himself.

Technician said:

Theism doesn't usually birth rational thought. But this subject is probably too heavy for a memorial thread.

As much as he may have been irrational regarding some subjects, he had great intentions behind all of that. As for the french mail I did manage to translate it somewhat.

Here's what it basically said:

"My dear people, i'm sad to announce that Jean died. His death occured on November 28 10:20PM in "Manaus Bresil" (that name I cannot translate).

He was a great man.

We will miss him.

Malu and Rhaissa"

I was so shocked by his death, I did have a constant contact with him after he left doom and let me put it clearly, as much as we have seen him as a crazy man, he infact was helping people with various issues. He sure helped me a lot to get out of some serious trouble. I will miss him too, rest in peace Jean, you've done your work that you wanted to do.

Jive fell in the clutch of some weird guru. Definitely not a mainstream religion. A few years ago I googled that Arnaud Dumouch guy and only found some guy ranting about his "bullshit" on some Catholic forums. Now it seems he has a much larger web presence, with youtube vids and interviews.

Manaus Bresil just means Manaus in Brazil.

His wikimedia profile. His crazy website.

Technician said:

I'll see if I can't dig up a few of his wads and give them a spin.

If you're interested in some of Jive's Legacy or GZDoom conversions, drop me a PM.

I wasn't on for long and I've never heard of this guy before but it is a strange thing to hear of someone who was once an older member of this community dieing and really is quite sad to hear of, I sure hope he does indeed rest in peace and that his family won't suffer the loss for too long.

I'm really sorry to hear this news. Jean contacted me upon me releasing my first serious project as a rookie mapper and playtested, advised, troubleshooted and generally took an interest in my work, which encouraged me to continue mapping.

As already mentioned, Jean edited my .wad for it to work with Legacy but his changes were not unpermitted, intrusive, drastic or detrimental as apparentley has been the case for other work.

I credit my interest to Legacy and my initial much needed enthusiasm for mapping to Jean. I didn't remain in contact but while I was in touch with him he seemed like a great guy.

I can't hide the fact that I disliked his attitude and the often unauthorized changes he made to other people's work, but it is sad that someone with a lot of enthusiasm for Doom is no longer with us.

Jive's Doomworld account

If I'm honest he always seemed like an odd character to me. I think I only had interaction with him one time back when the Doom wiki started. We had a disagreement over an edit he made and he sent me an an angry (and rather bizarre) email about it. I got the distinct impression he really didn't like me very much, though what I'd done to earn his disapproval I'm not sure. That said, I'm sorry to hear he's died.

Many of the old regulars on NewDoom will remember Jive, as much of his posting was done there. It seems a rather unfortunate and perverse irony that his last post here on Doomworld was responding to Espi in the thread about his cancer.

My first experience with Jive was similar to the others here. He picked up my first released map and sent me some really positive feedback by email before posting the map up on his site. Even though it wasn't a particularly good map, Jive still seemed to have boundless enthusiasm for it. It's probably that overwhelming enthusiasm that leaves the biggest lasting impression, even though it did get him into a few arguments along the way.

I'm still a little puzzled by the dramatic change with the whole 'finding god' thing, the sudden denunciation of his favourite hobby and the increased eccentricity, but then I guess everyone has their own ways of coping with the shock from being diagnosed with a terminal illness.

RIP.

This has come as a complete shock to me. I was in contact with Jive at the end of August and he explained to me why he quit Doom (has to do with the religion). Honestly, it seemed absurd and far-fetched, but I still respected his choice.

He's been through many troubles in the past and he's also behaved oddly. Still, it's unfortunate that he died.

The Green Herring said:

Worse yet, before he left, he became infamous for some edits of other people's WADs that were generally unnecessary and tended to make them look worse than before. I remember when STRAIN was added to the ScoreDoom charts and its package (created due to co-op bugs and MAP07 relying on a spechits overflow) contained one of his "fix" patches, a minor one which (among other things) shortened the sky textures. The end result: four planet Earths looming over the second third of the WAD. You can guess why I asked Bilbo to remove it. (The fixed levels were done by somebody else and are still in.) And then there was the controversy that sprung up over his attempt to update 2002: A Doom Odyssey...

Regardless, I give my condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

I recalled hearing about this some time ago and a quick search produced, amongst other things, this thread in regards to his Vile Flesh edits. At the time I found myself rather amused by the whole situation... Of course, not so much anymore. His last two posts on this website showed a different side of who I originally thought was a sort of character from a book to be dismissed. His encouraging words to Espi and personal struggle with cancer have to make step back and acknowledge that even when we supposedly go off the deep end, there's still some good to be found.

Never talked to the man directly, but I never enjoy hearing of a community member's death, whether active or not.

I only remember his odd behaviour, huge enthusiasm and questionable edits before his sudden leaving due to religion or something. Can't remember when this was, but I get the feeling it was over a year ago.

And now he's suddenly died. Spontaneous and passionate would probably be the nice way of summing up how I saw him. Hope his family and the like are alright.

Aww, bad news. :( I remember Jive and exchanged a few e-mails with him and had a few on line conversations with him. I knew that he was seriously ill but this is the first that I have heard of the outcome.

Jive was always a bit... "individual" and, yes, he certainly went pretty strange around the time he cut himself off from the community but I'll happily remember him as a guy who had a great enthusiasm for this game and who contributed to the community in his own inimitable way.

fraggle said:

I got the distinct impression he really didn't like me very much, though what I'd done to earn his disapproval I'm not sure.

I just checked through his posting history here on Doomworld and I think I may have a slightly better idea now. He certainly didn't fit in very well on Doomworld - it's hard to tell how much of that was because of the obvious language barrier and how much was down to his personality.

The "Christian conversion" a couple of years ago and his rejection of all things Doom certainly came across as bizarre at the time. I notice his Wikimedia page mentions that he had been fighting lymphatic cancer since 2000. I can't imagine what it must be like to have a disease like that, but I can imagine that someone in that kind of situation might desperately latch on to anything that gives them hope - especially if they're seeing their situation deteriorate.