Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Okuplok

Speed of Doom demos [-complevel 9]

good job riz!!
The start is crazy, amazing. Nice route and ideas, i thought you were doing 10:xx, never this :)

And 170 posts for my own custom avatar

UV-Max 01-04

01: 1:58
02: 3:17
03: 2:24
04: 4:04

Just some crap that I recorded almost a year ago. Originally wanted to make improvements to every Max timetable, so I didn't want to share. However, I figured since I'm not going to be finishing the set as I haven't played Doom in over a half-year, might as well post these. Quality is average to shit, and the demos aren't optimized at all (text file will explain why).

Edit:

Error in the text file: there aren't any "insanely grinded out demos" in here...not even close. I had MAP05 and MAP06 recorded, but they were overwritten as I wasn't satisfied. Needless to say, I was never satisfied until I quit.

sod1-4.zip

The first three maxes are a bit sloppy, but the fourth one is excellent, with flawless SSG aiming almost all the way through. With a straighter route (like skipping the hordes in early places until crossing these places later) it can go down to the 3:3X area you mentioned (or maybe even lower), but anyway a superb demo.

I bet Tatsurd will like the times you managed to reach.

Qaatar said:

UV-Max 01-04

Nice runs, Qaatar! I want to watch these runs of yours after I heared your project. I want to try them again, but according to SAV's caution, I have to improve my skill seriously for them.

What a coincidence Nevan. I recorded a max of map 26 yesterday. It sucks that it's impossible to backtrack after you've triggered the last teleportation fight. There's so much cells there that you would like to pick up and go for a clean up instead of killing cybies with RL :P

map 26 uv-max 10:54

sd26-1054.zip

Great run danne! I guess it would have been better to save some cells to get the time down. Both of our routes will be properly be difficult to do that.

dannebubinga said:

There's so much cells there that you would like to pick up and go for a clean up instead of killing cybies with RL :P

maybe i'm not the right person to hand out advice for slaughter maps, but ammo efficiency fits right into my field of expertise and i think you kinda wasted your invul/bfg stack on that rev horde, for several reasons, actually.

- cybs are immune to splash damage, so rocketing them is like throwing unprimed grenades and hoping for the blunt trauma to deliver the damage. if you have the means to use bfg on cybs, always do it. plasma comes next, you only choose RL over SSG.

- they're also solitary targets, so it's like throwing grenades at a lone guy in the middle of an empty parking lot who throws poisonous bowling balls at you, or something. bfg deals out damage faster, but if cells are so precious, that invul rush could've been done with the RL. you'd distribute the splash damage nicely over a lot of targets.

- i also think the YK should be the first choice (after the backpack, of course). see my TAS movie to see what i mean, you'll get the bfg much faster and you'll unleash some cybs on the rev horde. this way you can use the invul elsewhere (i always found the BK to be the trickiest spot). the trick to grab YK without fighting all the baddies isn't hard to do with some practice. just the occassional face rocket not even aimed at you. :)

- consider this: open the final arena earlier. when revisiting the bfg area for cleanup, immediatelly head south a little. this way, some remaining monsters in the main area might stray into the arena and save you ammo. no idea how practical this is to carry out.

dew: You have lots of valid points. I often don't think about such things when I pick up a map an run it. It's when people (read j4rio) want to compete I start thinking about those details.

Opening the final area early and hoping to stack some monsters there is a really good idea. I'm afraid the monsters will get stuck somwhere around the YK platform though. Will try it out.

Taking a quick look at DSDA, I noticed that the only Maxes for this wad which are over 10 minutes are the ones for MAP24 (12:14), MAP27 (11:11) and MAP28 (10:47). Do you guys think it is possible to bring all these runs to the sub-10 barrier?

As I have stated before, I won't be able to play until this weekend, but I'll take a look at these maps in order to look for ideas to lower those times!! (j4rio, get here now!! :P)

nothing is impossible for the two of you :p
i feel so sad thinking the gap among us grew so large in less than a year :(

btw related to topic, never played sod nor watched most of the levels, but ill check the records and give u my opinion too.

edit: all doable, map28 is probably the hardest target, or well, you are used to slaughterish levels

I tried aiming for 10:30 on MAP27 in my previous runs. Maybe more daring actions can cut it under 10 minutes. 28 I think is more doable with a bit more optimisation. Not sure about 24 - watched one run of that a year back and haven't watched it again since.

28 is really annoying with wandering monsters and is of rather high overall difficulty, the other two no idea. I've nothing against a ten minute barrier though, I get along well with it.

dew said:

24 will be a massive bitch, maybe the worst of the three?

I agree, the honeycomb thing is not in average height, that means imps which stand in these honeycomb things may in different heights, which led to difficulties in killing 2 or more imps in one time with SSG. Also this map have a lot of wandering monsters and ammo is quite limited, all these situations led to difficulties of getting a good time.

j4rio said:

28 is really annoying with wandering monsters and is of rather high overall difficulty, the other two no idea. I've nothing against a ten minute barrier though, I get along well with it.

vdgg stated that we took the whole TNT wad maxes to a sub-10 minute mark, and I found that actually really cool. I like the idea that we compete not only against each other, but also against ourselves.

Trying to beat these already good runs seems like a cool idea, especially in order to have a target time.

MAP24 to me will be the hardest of the three. Not only the honeycomb makes for a very annoying surface, this map has tons or Arch-Viles. There is two ways you can get the BFG, but both are really painful. It will be really hard to push this to the sub-10 mark.

MAP27 seems to me the easiest of the three. I haven't actually played the map, but I believe that more drastic attitude and a little route optimization are enough to cut those 1:11 from Anima's run.

MAP28 is a problem. Getting it to sub-10 doesn't look THAT difficult, but stragglers here are a real problem. If you look closely, you'll see that Ancalagon spent about 30 seconds looking for stragglers here. Well, sub-10 is definitely doable, but you'd need not only more daring actions, but also good luck with stragglers. I'll try to get Ancalagon on this :P

@1ntru: it wasn't me that time and I think Evilution only needed MAP20 which you did.

Ancalagon said:

Map28 max in 9:58

Wow, you took almost no damage, playing against 3,000 monsters!! I knew you could easily do it. Really great demo! :)

I'll take a good look at MAP27 and maybe do it! :D