Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
julz_d

Doom 3 Xbox Players

I just wanted to ask around if anyone still plays the Xbox version of Doom 3. I read it has online coop. The game is very cheap on Amazon.com Also, it runs on Xbox 360, which I have.

The original Xbox Live service is now offline, so you won't be playing Doom3's coop with that any time soon.

It used the exact same service for original Xbox games on the 360. So yeah, not even on the 360.
Keep in mind, that there are a couple of coop mods floating around for the PC version of doom3. (Last Man Standing and OpenCoop)

The Xbox port is still my preferred way of experiencing Doom 3, but as
Edward850 already pointed out, the original Xbox Live services are now nonfunctional. I played online co-op with a friend on the last day they were up, and was reminded of how laggy it is, so I would recommend local LAN co-op regardless.

Coopersville said:

I played online co-op with a friend on the last day they were up, and was reminded of how laggy it is, so I would recommend local LAN co-op regardless.

Keep in mind that there was also this strange issue where playing a game between PAL and NTSC would create (for no obvious reason) some strange issues in the client prediction.

DuckReconMajor said:

Still pissed they discontinued original Xbox Live and the friends list cap is still 100.

Wasn't the latter supposed to be part of the "price += $10" updates? I honestly can't see any reason for them to not have included that. Surely a non-shitty VOIP codec and increasingly terrible dashboard UI aren't alone worth the $10 price hike of the service.

Wait, Xbox Doom 3 has coop? I bought a copy when it was released and when I had some money to burn just to see what changes were made, but I never even noticed this.

Mind=blown

It's so shitty how they'll deactivate an online component on consoles. I remember being excited when reading about Twisted Metal: Black being online, but it was too late! They cut off that service years ago. Reminds me of why I play PC games more.

I beat Doom 3 on the Xbox. I personally enjoy consoles more than PC gaming, and the Xbox has a nifty auto-aim feature that deals with Trites very quickly.

Yeah, auto-aim was such a help on the XBOX port :P

But back on topic, it's a shame that the services were canceled :(
I bought the game from a flea market hoping to see some people online but then it said "You need a Xbox Live account" and I tried to get one, didn't work. Then I relized that they must have canceled it :(

Shame. Oh well, that's why the PC version is slightly superior right? :P

I bought the Doom 3 CE for Xbox a little whle ago (Before I even had an Xbox to begin with), mostly because of the Classic Doom splitscreen that my PS1 Doom copy wouldn't give me. That way I could force friends to play Doom with me at my house before he complains to the point of me switching on my PS2 for Quake III.

I borrowed it from a friend awhile back but never finished it. I like it, but it would be more fun if I could play online.
I wonder if BFG Edition will have a good amount of players when it comes out.

I've got both Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil for the original XBox. I think both are pretty good ports. They did cut out some rooms and made the levels a little smaller, but I didn't think they cut out anything that was really significant to the game.

As for co-op: I never tried it. If I'm correct, it was over XBox Live only, and you could only get XBox Live back then if you had a credit card (which is ridiculous). I did watch a few video's of Doom 3 co-op, and it didn't look interesting enough for me to try. Doom 3 was mostly a single-player experience anyway.

Agentbromsnor said:

As for co-op: I never tried it. If I'm correct, it was over XBox Live only,

Nope. It runs over System Link as well.

TB171 said:

Oh well, that's why the PC version is slightly superior right? :P

"Slightly"? The Xbox version's levels were chopped up (or completely removed, in the case of Alpha Labs Sector 4), the textures were far blurrier and lower-res, and the PC version actually has mod support. And now that there's no Co-op features (and D3BFG is out), there's no reason to buy the Xbox DOOM 3 anymore.

Megamur said:

"Slightly"? The Xbox version's levels were chopped up (or completely removed, in the case of Alpha Labs Sector 4), the textures were far blurrier and lower-res, and the PC version actually has mod support. And now that there's no Co-op features (and D3BFG is out), there's no reason to buy the Xbox DOOM 3 anymore.

Oh come on. I played both the XBox and PC version, and I thought the XBox version was well done. Yeah sure some levels are smaller, but they didn't cut anything that was really crucial to the game. Especially considering the old hardware they had to work with, they did a good job on the port.

I think it would be a good choise to buy the original Doom 3 port when you want the old games included that aren't censored like they are in the BFG Edition.