Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

I've playtested two of the maps thus far. As a request - I'd prefer some sort of confirmation that the notes have been received. Whether it be a full-blown response to my critique or just a, "I'll take this into consideration," is fine.

I started work on a large military base map for TNT 2, but I don't think I'm experienced enough for that project. Would you allow me to submit my map here instead? I have never released a map before. I have maybe one third of the layout figured out and I'm using placeholder textures, but I took a few screenshots.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6886/screenshotdoom201112152.png
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6886/screenshotdoom201112152.png
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6886/screenshotdoom201112152.png

Thanks for the review, Snakes! I appreciate the time you've put into studying my map. I'll try to implement some of your suggestions and fix some of the problems you've pointed out when I touch up my map.

I'm glad you liked my lighting in the early stretches. I feel like I may have put more effort into the early portion of the level, and began to half-ass a little more as time went on (I know for a fact that I kinda rushed the ending). Hopefully my revision will fix some of that feeling.

@Snakes - I've read the notes you've given me as well. Thanks for being so thorough! I'll be taking what you've written into consideration when I update Hazard Facility after I finish Sensorium.

@Stygian - You're in! I'll add you to the list of mappers.

I'll try this.

A Hellish Themed MAP
I'm joining in, with permission of course (unless we don't have to ask).
I've only made one map prior to this so I have some experience and when is the deadline?

I think people here need to realize that they don't edit the map in Boom configuration unless I've bee reading this thread wrong.

Your map doesn't need to play on Doom95 or with Vanilla Doom
It needs to be complevel 2 compatible (limit-removing Doom2 editing)
Please, please, please test your maps with Prboom-plus (-complevel 2) or Doom-plus.

TheNebulousThinker, welcome to our mapping project! I'll be adding you to the list of mappers. As of now there is no deadline set, the project is still in its early stages and many mappers are on holidays so it would be pointless to plan a completion date at this time, plus I want to give everyone time to learn the ropes and make good contributions. We'll just see how we progress for now.

So, I have noticed that seemingly(lol double suffix) all communication has gone silent on this project...

So in light of that, I am going to post a progress update, and a bit of why I haven't posted for the last while. Hopefully that encourages others to follow suit. :)

Progress: 25% done, I just want to finish the layout and get an exit in the damn thing before I detail every nook.

Anyways, so I made a ton of progress in about 3-4 days after my last update... then suddenly Christmas rolls around and I just don't even THINK about mapping. It's weird, it's like I just have "better" things to concentrate my thoughts on... Does any one else get like this? caught up in life and things around you so much that it tends to sap away your creative spark, because I have a feeling that this isn't just me.

Map: My Map
Screenshots: Album

There's some potential in those shots, but I have to ask what the story is behind the two green blotches in the last two shots.

Those are going to be summoner circles of sorts that the player can walk over. Basically this circle allows demons to teleport in, but not ever leave the circle.

These are all still in progress shots, so any suggestions would be appreciated :).

Oh, I'd like to get in on this too! Any space left for mappers?

I wouldn't mind working on a left over scrap level too. Just wondering, but aside from stock materials and limit-removing, are there any restriction as far as design or can we do whatever we want?

Hello everyone. I have not forgotten about this project, I just assumed that everyone was on Christmas break and vacationing and what not so I just let it be for awhile. It's good to see interest has not died.

@fiend-o-hell: Welcome aboard! Yes, there is no restriction on design as long as it is limit-removing and using stock materials. You can go as crazy as you want, just make sure your product is made to a reasonable standard. If you want to work off a scrap map, you can try the one that was started by Memfis, which is currently unclaimed. (Here: http://www.mediafire.com/?29tmtl4g8x0yws7)

I've updated 'Hazard Facility' in accordance to Snake's suggestions. I've also added it to a wad file that includes the other two essentially finished levels from this project, 'Sewage Processing' and 'Suspend'. The three levels have all received their own MIDIs which I picked up off the net. Enjoy and tell me what you think.

Project NOVA - 0.1 Alpha Demo Release:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H5TM24YX

Oh and as of now I've decided to call this megawad project 'Nova' as I think it sounds cooler than simply referring to it as 'the Newbie Megawad Project'. If anyone has a better name suggestion, let me know.

I'd advise keeping "Newbie Megawad" in the thread title for now because some people might think the thread disappeared.

I have downloaded and played the wad.
Map01 was just perfect.
Map02 had a bit too much health packs, where map03 had a lack of... Too bad, I died at easiest difficulty somewhere in map03. Lack of space killed me, again. I almost died (left 3-4 health) because I had cornered myself. When I died, same problem.

Map03 was the hardest map, although Map02 was quite challenging, just too much health packs. I liked the idea of holes in the walls where health packs, ammo and keys were.

Played with PrBoom+

Although I couldn't see all of map03, I give the progress so far a fair 7.

Job well done!

Oh, and about my map, Made some progress on it, added the first secret and a brand new room.

@Killer Z - I agree with your view on 'Sewage Processing' and its over-abundance of health. At the very least I would remove one of the Soul Sphere secrets or put something else in there instead. That and it lacks cooperative and deathmatch starts.

'Suspend' will likely appear somewhat later in the wad once this project has been filled out with more levels. At the moment it is the third level as there are only three levels complete so far. I actually like 'Suspend' the best out the three maps so far, it's spot on in my opinion.

Oh and thank you for calling my level perfect. I put a fair bit of effort into getting it just right but thought it may still look a little scrappy in places.

Yeah, but there was no lack of things.... Only I was very quick. Not all monsters, items and secrets. I had blue, red and yellow key... So maybe blocking the exit :)
And I like the fake exit door :P

I too am still working on my modification of Alwaysdoomed's original map 'Sensorium'. I've only got about 3 large rooms left but I keep thinking of more things to add as I progress so it takes longer.

Just posting my progress letting everybody know that I'm actually doing something:

Layout is still kinda of rough, so at this point, i'd say I'm at %40.

Still around, school and friends have been keeping me busy... otherwise I probably would have finished my map by now lol... :(

Seriously a 5 player magic the gathering game took from 3pm to 6-7pm today... god damn' was fun tho.

That and I have other projects going on and all that jazz... Good to see other people still mapping for this project, im not alone, wheee!!!!

I still have yet to play the alpha... I'll get on that soon.

@feind
Good screenshots, are those areas finished?

Thanks Macro. Heh, just boosting morale around here. The areas shown in the first two shots are almost wrapped up. Bottom two still need some work. As you can see, I tried to use every kind of brick texture there is to re-dress the Memfis scrap.

fiend-o-hell said:

Just posting my progress letting everybody know that I'm actually doing something:

Layout is still kinda of rough, so at this point, i'd say I'm at %40.

Not bad. As a general suggestion, I think the that the techno pillars clash a bit with the otherwise marble/wood theme in the final shot. Perhaps the Evil Eye or torches would fit better?

@Snakes: those wood textures in the back are eventually gonna be replaced with a sea of blood and a horizon. I was thinking in that context, with nothing but marb and green brick, the tech pillar looses it "techy" quality and would standout nicely in the foreground against the backdrop of the sea since there so tall.

You bring up a valid point though. I'll re-evaluate everything once I near its finished state.