Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jasontaylor7

Freedoom on the sansa clip zip, need 96x96 res. wads

Any suggestions on running freedom on the sansa clip zip? My main complaints are: Resolution is strange. Can't read text. Need a font that is thinner. No idea what screen bottom is saying. No health idea, no ammo idea. Sound: good but missing midi files. Speed: good. Wads: what wads would work best at 96x96? I am confused.

Sraffing: not possible? Actual keys are

center left right up down escape power vol+ vol-.

9 keys.

Set keys options are

r l u d shoot open strafe weapm automap.

Matches. 9 buttons, 9 keys. So how do I strafe. No can do.

Any suggestions?

Nice! I'll have to see if this runs on my Clip, until then I can't offer much in the way of suggestions though I'd expect strafing to involve holding down the strafe key then pressing the left or right key.

jasontaylor7 said:

Resolution is strange. Can't read text. Need a font that is thinner. No idea what screen bottom is saying.

The Doom engine was designed for a 320x200 screen resolution so it'll to look strange at 96x96, maybe a custom font in rockdoom.wad would help.

GreyGhost said:

he Doom engine was designed for a 320x200 screen resolution so it'll to look strange at 96x96, maybe a custom font in rockdoom.wad would help.

Is there a way for one to convert the basic internal images in the wad from 320x200 to 96x96, saving them, and while doing so run an anti-aliasing filter? The engine has the fonts that are not legible. Where is the source to this freedom? How does one compile it for rockbox?

jasontaylor7 said:

Where is the source to this freedom? How does one compile it for rockbox?

Freedoom is a data file (basically a GPL'd alternative to the commercial Doom IWADs), there's nothing to compile. Rockdoom (the executable it runs under) is based on an old version of the PrBoom source port, which you can obtain the source for from here if you're interested in the engine's history. The current source is in Rockbox's SVN repository though don't ask me about compiling it, that's more likely a question for this forum.

Looks like I need something more powerful than the basic Sansa Clip to run Rockdoom. :(

GreyGhost said:

Looks like I need something more powerful than the basic Sansa Clip to run Rockdoom. :( [/B]

If by basic clip you mean v1, v2, or clip+, perhaps.

Where do you live? I'd be happy to lend mine out. Really it is VERY cool to run doom on it. Even if you can't read your health etc. The other clips have only two colors and suck.

Jason