Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Eternally Yours

@valkiriforce

Check you PM

BTW I forgot to mention that, as usual, I enjoyed playing this. Good, and quick, job ! :)

Since this is now public I decided to mention to all that test this that there is a showstopper in map 08. All I'll say is if the player has not got the red keycard, finds themselves in a smallish room with a red door to open, will be stuck. There is an error with the lift that brought the player to this room. Has been reported.

UPDATE ... This is fixed in the current version.

Requesting mods change Valkiriforce's title to "Ludicrous Speed"

Also, what's the scope? Do I detect a hint of Eternal Doom in the title?

Looking forward to trying this out, for some reason I've been craving episodes more than megawads lately, probably because my attention span has slowly been fading. :P

Katamori said:

Reverie 2?

Not really, but judging from credits map, unless it was about general idea behind this episode something will happen...

GBT3 said:

Not really, but judging from credits map, unless it was about general idea behind this episode something will happen...

I wouldn't be surprised.

esselfortium said:

Already?! O_O

I'm a robot, Johnny 5 is alive!

TimeOfDeath said:

Why?

Because.

Grain of Salt said:

Valkiriforce doesn't have speed settings.

But I need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need...

kmxexii said:

Requesting mods change Valkiriforce's title to "Ludicrous Speed"

That gave me a weird dream two nights ago.

Katamori said:

Reverie 2?

Heh, not happening.

Every time a new phenomenon is done in a week, 168 hours pass by in Africa.

Gotta download and review.

Is that the skedar ruins music from Perfect Dark used in the first map because it sounds very similar.

Doomsfall said:

Is that the skedar ruins music from Perfect Dark used in the first map because it sounds very similar.

You are correct.

I just finished this thing up, and while it kept me interested enough to finish all 11 maps, I did feel like there was a lot of room for improvement.

It seemed to me that in a lot of places monster placement was pretty poor. This was for a variety of reasons. One main reason is that there is a lot of combat taking place from a 64 to 128-sized entryway. Rooms full of high-HP beasts waiting their turn to be blasted. Most of the times the monsters couldn't even fit through the space I was standing in, and with corners to abuse it was rather ho-hum murdering them all, as they were powerless to do anything about it. Other times there were fireball-type monsters above or below, or through bars. Thus they would simply shoot the ledges or bars when trying to hit me, making them totally impotent and beyond-easy targets for my shotgun or chaingun. Demons were the worst victims of these phenomena, as stairs, 64-sized halls, and ledges always render them toothless shell sponges. But it was certainly true for mancubi, hell knights, arch viles, and all manner of things, all of which at least have some trouble with ledges, stairs, and especially 64-sized halls.

Here are a few shots of just such locations that are pretty prolific in this WAD:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/emilharold/Screenshot_Doom_20120104_184603.png
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/emilharold/Screenshot_Doom_20120104_205919.png
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/emilharold/Screenshot_Doom_20120104_211616.png

This sort of thing might not have been such an issue if it wasn't for the tremendous amount of ammo that allowed me to snipe from afar without concern for missed shots. Ammo is quite prolific, especially cells. This really takes the edge off of just about any combat situation in this wad, as any time I felt a tiny bit of a pinch I would just bust out the plasma and mow fools down.

Tightening up the ammo would create more need to scramble for those dropped shotguns, and adds tension as your ammo count ticks down and the monsters keep on coming. It compels the player to be more up front and personal with the enemies in order to make each shot count. And it leads to a wider variety of weapon use, which I think simply makes the game more fun.

So less ammo is one way to help reduce the affect of ledge, small corridor, bars, and corner abuse. Other ways are to make good use of painful floors, lifts, jumps, and teleporters, forcing a player into an area without a pathway to hide in.

Another other issue I had with this wad was the oh my god look at all the switches. There are a lot. Half of 'em I didn't even know what they did. I would just be hitting switches and running around til I heard monsters. My suggestion would be to try laying levels out so that these actions are triggered by walking over lines instead of hitting switches as often as can be. By changing them to walkover, the flow of the map tends to be better, as hitting switches constantly just slows things down. Plus if a player is walking over a line to make things happen, you can oftentimes have the player looking directly at what is changing in the map, as opposed to having him looking at a switch.

My final suggestion would be to ease up on the 'deaf' flag for monsters. I'm pretty sure every monster I encountered that wasn't teleported in was flagged deaf, even those in crow's nests or other situations where they weren't going to be going anywhere regardless. This can lessen the gameplay in my view because it makes it easy for the player to know what he's up against by always hearing the activate sounds once he's in eyesight, cluing him in to his environment. In most rooms, after casually sniping monsters from the doorway, I could always find a few stragglers that simply didn't see me until I fully enter the room, and really I feel should have been part of the main crowd. Other times there would be corridors full of monsters that would be activated a couple at a time, posing little to no threat when faced with my trusty double barrel. Monsters that have been activated prior to the player entering the general vicinity makes for more random and tense encounters. Monsters tend to attack with less delay when they've been activated for a while, giving them a bit more of an edge. And don't worry about them finding their way to the other side of the map due to their active state. DOOM pathing is pretty terrible. I would suggest exploring what you can make happen with the 'block sound' linedef flag, instead of just spamming deaf on the monsters.

All that being said, I really did find the layout aspect of these maps highly creative. It's what kept me playing through. I always like pretending that a DOOM map is a bit of a puzzle box, with moving pieces and changes that transpire as the player progresses. You show great strength and ingenuity in this aspect of level design for sure. I think you're a great mapper, with more passion for creating interesting environments then just about anyone else in the community. So keep up the good work for sure, but perhaps think a little bit about the issues I've raised here.

NT

In gzdoom, zdoom and risen3d sprite DoomEd # 61 hangs too low in maps 8 and 9 due to self referencing sectors. These ports - and maybe others - have fixed this bug internally. I've made a small dehacked patch to fix this. All it does is reinstate the bug, so as to render the sprite at the intended height.

Open up Notepad.exe, name it etrnyour.deh and copy/paste this in ...

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

Doom version = 21
Patch format = 6

Thing 109 (One-legged Body 2)
Height = 3342336

UPDATE ... As of the version upped on 01-09-12 the use of this sprite has been removed. As such this dehacked patch is no longer required for this pwad.

Cool stuff, Valk, just as usual!!

I recorded FDAs for the whole wad and I noticed there is a sleeping Arch-Vile on MAP11, just before you enter the Icon Of Sin. It can be see in this demo at around 10:40.

And, in time, congratulations on making such good maps in so few time.

Almost done with this now, but I seem to keep dying stupidly on Map09.

Its very cool valkiriforce, map 09 (I think that's it, the village level) is really neat. I enjoyed the structure with all the 3d bridges and I like that level's abstract design in general.

The only criticism I can think of right now is to get rid of that awful black sabbath midi in map 08.

Chex Warrior said:

Almost done with this now, but I seem to keep dying stupidly on Map09.

Its very cool valkiriforce, map 09 (I think that's it, the village level) is really neat. I enjoyed the structure with all the 3d bridges and I like that level's abstract design in general.

The only criticism I can think of right now is to get rid of that awful black sabbath midi in map 08.

Heh, I'm unfamiliar with Black Sabbath, so I guess that's what that is. I can change that. :)

[EDIT] I also need something to replace the MAP06 music as that is placeholder. Maybe those two slots could have original tracks.